Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Collingwood are so used to getting frees paid their way they have started to arrogantly expect the decisions to go their way. It's extraordinary.

Reactions: 2 users
Collingwood are so used to getting frees paid their way they have started to arrogantly expect the decisions to go their way. It's extraordinary.
They get free kicks other clubs dream about..while also they are allowed to hold and dispose of the ball any way they like.
Against Port. Port players were pinged for grabbing the ball. The umipres didn't care where they were they payed them.

Reactions: 1 user
This has come up before and always gets derailed by a group who would rather argue than learn something but I have them all on ignore now so I'll reengage. ;)

1000% there has been a policy change and my best guess is it came around 2000.

The definition of a handball is now you have to hold the ball in one hand and punch the ball with a clenched fist. That's it.

So now you could hold the ball above your head and punch it like a tennis serve and it would be legal, you can lift the ball up and handball over your head behind you, and basically move the hand holding the ball as much as you like.

About now there's a particularly pompous poster who will ignore the obvious and demand an exact rule change be specified. I can't produce that and I've worked out the reason. Handball doesn't actually appear anywhere in the rules, it's a definition. Throwing appears in the rules, handball doesn't.

So the definition changed at some point in the last 90s/2000s and it is impossible to track when. Logically though it is very easy to know it changed because in days gone by the definition talked about not having excessive movement in the hand holding the ball, and having a stationary hand at impact, and that made a huge difference to what you could do with the ball.

That's why in the old days you couldn't handball over your head and now you can. Different definition.

In my opinion much of the angst about throws is because of the definition being so loose. Hold the ball and touch it with your fist is very easy to do incredibly quickly and very hard to dispute as a throw.
I knew that. I was wondering if the clenched fist had been relaxed. Because it isn't happening. It seems like it's only really expected when in space and player has a bit of time, otherwise a glancing open palm that just kind of follows the ball and doesn't propel it is fine.

How about Naughton throwing it out in the 1st qtr
Footscary goal.
Libba holding the ball in on the half forward flank.
The decision lynch was holding when Jones had him high before.
Number 17 holding lynch in the 2nd qtr.
It goes on in every game.
The opposition get one or 2 free kicks that seem to break us.
We lost yesterday because lynch got injured.
Graham is the soft tissue King.
Nakas is finished
And we are can't kick and no-one can take a reliving mark down the Line.
And we fumbled soooo many times. I rewatched the last quarter and if we had’ ve been clean with ball in hand, we would’ve won. All IMHO of course.

I knew that. I was wondering if the clenched fist had been relaxed. Because it isn't happening. It seems like it's only really expected when in space and player has a bit of time, otherwise a glancing open palm that just kind of follows the ball and doesn't propel it is fine.

The rule isn't the problem, it is the same as it was in 1970, it is the adjudication.

If they crack down on throws they will disappear.

DS

Reactions: 4 users

People say that but I wonder how anyone can be sure without seeing a super slow mo of the action.

People say that but I wonder how anyone can be sure without seeing a super slow mo of the action.
I've said many times I'd love to see it. The broadcasters seem to be accepting of it, they often say things like 'not sure if that was a HB' , or 'umpire is OK with the disposal' etc, but they move on with the play and rarely focus on it and slo mo replays don't happen, ocassionally they do when a throw is extremely obvious and results in a goal and half the crowd get angry. I remember Dusty and Jack doing obvious scoops, got away with one and pinged for another from memory?

Even more occassionally you will see a slo mo of a throw, usually as a result of looking at a free for a different thing.

But seriously, to say unless we see a super slo mo nobody can be sure? Its an argument of last resort. We can use our eyeballs and knowledge of the game to make a judgement. Sure a super slo mo might prove us wrong on some of them, but I'm talking about a trend over a long period. To use your logic, How can anyone be sure of anything without slo mo? It renders all comment and analysis of any fast congested footy invalid

There is no doubt in my mind that throws are generally unofficially tolerated provided that they happen in traffic as part of quick ball movement and the thrower makes a token effort to make it look handballish, which may involve something like brushing the wrist of the hand with the ball just after its disposed off. But as I said, to my eyes the token effort part seems to be falling by the wayside.

I've said many times I'd love to see it. The broadcasters seem to be accepting of it, they often say things like 'not sure if that was a HB' , or 'umpire is OK with the disposal' etc, but they move on with the play and rarely focus on it and slo mo replays don't happen, ocassionally they do when a throw is extremely obvious and results in a goal and half the crowd get angry. I remember Dusty and Jack doing obvious scoops, got away with one and pinged for another from memory?

Even more occassionally you will see a slo mo of a throw, usually as a result of looking at a free for a different thing.

But seriously, to say unless we see a super slo mo nobody can be sure? Its an argument of last resort. We can use our eyeballs and knowledge of the game to make a judgement. Sure a super slo mo might prove us wrong on some of them, but I'm talking about a trend over a long period. To use your logic, How can anyone be sure of anything without slo mo? It renders all comment and analysis of any fast congested footy invalid

There is no doubt in my mind that throws are generally unofficially tolerated provided that they happen in traffic as part of quick ball movement and the thrower makes a token effort to make it look handballish, which may involve something like brushing the wrist of the hand with the ball just after its disposed off. But as I said, to my eyes the token effort part seems to be falling by the wayside.

Here's where I sit on it.

The guys today are like ninjas with their hands. Caesar would be able to confirm how much time players spend working on quick hands at training, huge time is spent on catch and quick release.

I think most of the things people see as throws are actually handballs and the ones that aren't happen so quickly it is impossible for an umpire to call with the naked eye.

Secondly players and coaches are very aware of how umpires set up and where the blind spots are. You have to remember as a fan you are generally watching the game from the opposite view to the umpires. Players know if they are facing the outside then they have a good chance of getting away with a throw, fans can see it, umpires can't and you can't call what you can't see.

Reactions: 1 users
If it looks like a player might have gotten a fist to it, just let it go. Just call the obvious ones. Last thing we need is more grey area and interpretation. Our players should just get better at it.

The guys today are like ninjas with their hands. Caesar would be able to confirm how much time players spend working on quick hands at training, huge time is spent on catch and quick release.

I think most of the things people see as throws are actually handballs and the ones that aren't happen so quickly it is impossible for an umpire to call with the naked eye.

Secondly players and coaches are very aware of how umpires set up and where the blind spots are. You have to remember as a fan you are generally watching the game from the opposite view to the umpires. Players know if they are facing the outside then they have a good chance of getting away with a throw, fans can see it, umpires can't and you can't call what you can't see.
Well these morons who masquerade as umpires don’t often pay what they can see, especiallly in the Richmond forward lines.

If the afl want 4 field umpires, maybe it’s time they trained to position themselves where at least one of them can see the play from a different angle. But that would be commonsensical. Buffoon ballerinas with whistles and buffoon head office. What could you expect

point 1 agree. Point 2 strongly disagree, replace 'most' with 'a few'. Point 3 agree, but doesn't square with your point 2.

When I'm watching you can see when ump is blindsided and I understand why its not paid. Also I understand its a quick action and not easy. But IMO the tolerances are slipping. They can and sometimes do tighten them, have a crackdown. But last round was particularly bad.

If the afl want 4 field umpires, maybe it’s time they trained to position themselves where at least one of them can see the play from a different angle.

You'd have to go to an Eddie McGuire type set up with the zones and umpires on the outside. You are still going to create a different sort of blindspot in the centre but I personally think it would be better.

Ditch boundary and goal umpires and roll with the 8 umpires in a zone.

point 1 agree. Point 2 strongly disagree, replace 'most' with 'a few'. Point 3 agree, but doesn't square with your point 2.

When I'm watching you can see when ump is blindsided and I understand why its not paid. Also I understand its a quick action and not easy. But IMO the tolerances are slipping. They can and sometimes do tighten them, have a crackdown. But last round was particularly bad.

It would be an interesting exercise to dig out a few examples to analyse in slow motion I reckon.

Yeah we even have a training drill exactly for that. "Dion Hands" if I recall the name correctly. Pretty much 10 mins every training session.