Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

The only time I ever got reported playing footy was umpire abuse and theyre still paying me back 30 yrs later.
3 weeks suspension

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I lose so much of the enjoyment of watching a game when it's so lopsided and biased.

I watched the first quarter and was yelling at the TV. Then a few seconds before quarter time they put up some stats.

Free Kicks 10 - 2.

I changed channels. I've seen this show before. :mad:
Its what I do too. Watch the 1st Q if its lop sided free kicks, I turn off and watch the RL!

Reactions: 1 user
McKay smashed Bowey who didn’t have the ball leaving him holding his jaw
Commentators making excuses for incident
Just jogged my memory. Last night, Young I think, took a mark and got whacked high by Cameron I think. Young got a 50. All the commentators were saying there was nothing in it and shouldn’t have been a 50. Every commentator except Gary Lyon of all people, he said it definitely was a 50. Later in the game a Richmond player, I forget who, laid an admittedly clumsy tackle. No harm, pies player got up and took his kick. Commentators were going on about the Richmond player might be in trouble with the mrp. I mean, WTF!

Scumwood are in Black and White, which is even more stark & yet they get looked after by the flogs better than anyone else.
I reckon yellow stands out, catches the eye more than white ever has. Plus the prison bars blend the black and white where the stark yellow sash on a black background or the all yellow jumper catch the umpires eye far more.

Over the last four or five years I have managed to watch a great many footy matches of different clubs to the Tigers thanks to my Watch AFL subscription and for the life of me I am not able to understand why the Tigers can play hard in exactly the same way as most other clubs players yet the other clubs players seem to get away with it. A typical example yesterday when a couple of times a Pie tried to rip Bakes head off his shoulders and no foul yet when a Pie obviously stages a high tackle it was given.
I just cannot believe that we play more on the edge and risk frees any more that another club yet we get the raw end of most decisions.
It is time our club take the AFL to task on this obvious bias and try to get some fairness and an equal playing field on frees.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Over the last four or five years I have managed to watch a great many footy matches of different clubs to the Tigers thanks to my Watch AFL subscription and for the life of me I am not able to understand why the Tigers can play hard in exactly the same way as most other clubs players yet the other clubs players seem to get away with it. A typical example yesterday when a couple of times a Pie tried to rip Bakes head off his shoulders and no foul yet when a Pie obviously stages a high tackle it was given.
I just cannot believe that we play more on the edge and risk frees any more that another club yet we get the raw end of most decisions.
It is time our club take the AFL to task on this obvious bias and try to get some fairness and an equal playing field on frees.

I would think they have brought this up numerous times.

It is time to go public, complaining behind closed doors does not work.

DS

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
View attachment 21905

Anyone recall if this obvious hold on Broad was given as a free?
There was another in our FP where KMac's jumper was clearly held while he was trying to go for a mark from a wayward snap. No free.
Another where Bolton was clearly held, again in the forward pocker while trying to pick up the ball, then held off the ball after it had spilled. Nothing.

• Angry
Preparing for round 0.Is there a statistic available for the lowest number of free kicks awarded to a team for an entire game? Records are made to be broken folks.........

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Preparing for round 0.Is there a statistic available for the lowest number of free kicks awarded to a team for an entire game? Records are made to be broken folks.........
Yep. We're gonna get crucified.

I think the last time we had a free kick differential in a game of 10+ was 2018.

This is a regular occurrence for a lot of teams.

A table showing the number of games of 10+ FKD would be an interesting read, and would totally highlight the statistical bias.

In the last 5 years, I wouldn't be surprised if some teams had 30-40 such games, while we had 0.
Not quite 30-40 Nico, but game stats from last 5 years (2019-2023 H&A plus Finals) has some interesting reading (courtesy AFL Tables)

We've all seen these figures:
TeamFrees ForFrees AgainstFrees For/Against Differential
Western Bulldogs
2131​
1855​
276​
Collingwood
1702​
1529​
173​
Fremantle
2009​
1895​
114​
Adelaide
2095​
2001​
94​
Brisbane
2311​
2225​
86​
Carlton
2105​
2043​
62​
Melbourne
2063​
2039​
24​
Geelong
2160​
2142​
18​
West Coast
1957​
1945​
12​
North Melbourne
1992​
2015​
-23​
Essendon
1940​
1968​
-28​
St Kilda
1977​
2008​
-31​
Gold Coast
1944​
1979​
-35​
Port Adelaide
2113​
2148​
-35​
Hawthorn
1614​
1685​
-71​
Sydney
2097​
2198​
-101​
Greater Western Sydney
2029​
2138​
-109​
Richmond
1941​
2268​
-327​

No suprise who's leading -10 Free kick diff in a game:
Team# Games -10 Frees For / Against Differential
Richmond
15​
Greater Western Sydney
12​
Sydney
11​
St Kilda
8​
Essendon
7​
Gold Coast
7​
Port Adelaide
7​
Carlton
6​
Hawthorn
6​
West Coast
6​
Geelong
5​
Adelaide
4​
Brisbane
4​
Melbourne
4​
Collingwood
2​
Fremantle
2​
North Melbourne
2​
Western Bulldogs
1​

And as Nico guessed, there seems to be a team missing from the list of +10 free kick differential:
Team# Games +10 Frees For/Against Differential
Adelaide
14​
Western Bulldogs
14​
Collingwood
8​
Essendon
7​
Fremantle
7​
Port Adelaide
7​
Brisbane
6​
Carlton
6​
Gold Coast
6​
Sydney
6​
Geelong
5​
Hawthorn
5​
Melbourne
5​
North Melbourne
4​
St Kilda
4​
Greater Western Sydney
3​
West Coast
3​

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 6 users
Just prepare yourself for round sub zero. It’s going to be a brutal reaming again from the umpires. Its all set up perfectly for a hard core rort.

• Angry
Not quite 30-40 Nico, but game stats from last 5 years (2019-2023 H&A plus Finals) has some interesting reading (courtesy AFL Tables)

We've all seen these figures:
TeamFrees ForFrees AgainstFrees For/Against Differential
Western Bulldogs
2131​
1855​
276​
Collingwood
1702​
1529​
173​
Fremantle
2009​
1895​
114​
Adelaide
2095​
2001​
94​
Brisbane
2311​
2225​
86​
Carlton
2105​
2043​
62​
Melbourne
2063​
2039​
24​
Geelong
2160​
2142​
18​
West Coast
1957​
1945​
12​
North Melbourne
1992​
2015​
-23​
Essendon
1940​
1968​
-28​
St Kilda
1977​
2008​
-31​
Gold Coast
1944​
1979​
-35​
Port Adelaide
2113​
2148​
-35​
Hawthorn
1614​
1685​
-71​
Sydney
2097​
2198​
-101​
Greater Western Sydney
2029​
2138​
-109​
Richmond
1941​
2268​
-327​

No suprise who's leading -10 Free kick diff in a game:
Team# Games -10 Frees For / Against Differential
Richmond
15​
Greater Western Sydney
12​
Sydney
11​
St Kilda
8​
Essendon
7​
Gold Coast
7​
Port Adelaide
7​
Carlton
6​
Hawthorn
6​
West Coast
6​
Geelong
5​
Adelaide
4​
Brisbane
4​
Melbourne
4​
Collingwood
2​
Fremantle
2​
North Melbourne
2​
Western Bulldogs
1​

And as Nico guessed, there seems to be a team missing from the list of +10 free kick differential:
Team# Games +10 Frees For/Against Differential
Adelaide
14​
Western Bulldogs
14​
Collingwood
8​
Essendon
7​
Fremantle
7​
Port Adelaide
7​
Brisbane
6​
Carlton
6​
Gold Coast
6​
Sydney
6​
Geelong
5​
Hawthorn
5​
Melbourne
5​
North Melbourne
4​
St Kilda
4​
Greater Western Sydney
3​
West Coast
3​

It's stark isn't it?

Just every stat we get the worst numbers, on the free kick difference it is not even remotely close - 3 times the next worst difference.

Well, apparently it was they way we play, with Dimma as coach. So, let's see: we play Round Zero (sic) against a team coached by Dimma, we are no longer coached by DImma, let's see if Dimma's free kick "luck" suddenly changes.

DS

• Haha
What about the Joshittinghimself Daicos kick out of D50 against us. 35 metres up the line, bounced on the line, not a Filth player within 15m. Throw it in, thanks.

• Angry
We need to find a way to get the click baiters to highlight this. Upsettingly, they get listened to by the AFL, and they take action when that happens.

What about the Joshittinghimself Daicos kick out of D50 against us. 35 metres up the line, bounced on the line, not a Filth player within 15m. Throw it in, thanks.
Yeah, thats was a shocker. Another time Bolton took a mark about 50 out he turned to pass the ball forward and Quaynor came flying across the mark. to stop him kicking it. He certainly wasn't "stand"ing.

As is always the case, in isolation none of the decisions are terrible and both teams get bad ones. but somehow like every single other game, 8 times the coin falls in our favour and 23 times it doesnt.

• Angry
Reactions: 6 users