Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

I wouldn't care if they reported people for subversive thought,

biting aggressively on their mouthguard.

eye rolling.

just adjudicate it the same for everyone, most of the time.

the 'insufficient intent' is utterly farcical.

depends on: the umpire, the player, the position on the ground, the score, the time, the number of opposition player appealing.

ditch it, or *smile* enforce it.

That the commentators say everytime a player takes it across the line with no intention of keeping the ball in play

'Well disguised', clearly indicates the depth pf farce

*smile* me - why not pay a free for 'good disguising'?

Its way more objective than 'insufficiemt intent'
I think it would be easier to achieve world peace than for them to do as you suggest

Reactions: 1 user
Miers boot chucking incident, its one of those odd things that happen sometimes, like Rampe climbing the post or Cox gatecrashing the GWS warmup, there should be a please explain, but it was the commentary that was a farce. Basically said 'fair enough'! Imagine if Lynch or Pickett had done the same thing?
They’d be banned from ever wearing boots again.

eye rolling.

depends on: the umpire, the player, the position on the ground, the score, the time, the number of opposition player appealing.

That the commentators say everytime a player takes it across the line with no intention of keeping the ball in play

Yeh, and the commentators still call it "deliberate". It changed how many years ago to the current incantation?

You fogot the crowd in your depends on statement. Particularly if the umpire has been getting bronx cheers. The more prior bronx cheers > the likelyhood the next one will be paid insuffiicient intent. *

* unless the tigers are playing.

How many times since Thursday did a player have their jumper pulled off them without the ball but the umpires totally ignored it ? Ffs. Even the sycophantic tv commentators were calling it out.

No Richmond player did it, but you can bet if they did it would have been a free in an instant.

These guys are just biased, incompetent cheats. Smash it all down and start again. They’re losers.

Reactions: 2 users

eye rolling.

They have a rule that penalises a player for not trying hard enough to keep the ball in play - “Insufficient Attempt Umpy!!!”

But on the other hand, the player taking that free kick, could kick it down the line and another player could legally and intentionally punch that ball straight out of bounds.
Throw it in!
:unsure:

Reactions: 1 users
Because of the help of the umpires to get Carlton over the line.
The last 4 days has been how good Carlton is at closing out games. Pity the knobs miss the Cripps throw, the 65metre 50, the advantage not played and the 2 High hits on Pickett and Campbell.

I counted 4 times, without even trying, when players in other games did exactly what Shorty did. But unlike Shorty, they weren't penalised. One of them the commentators said 'we've seen a few penalised for that'. Maybe they had, but I'd only seen Shorty penailised (mis-spelt but it works) for it.

Miers boot chucking incident, its one of those odd things that happen sometimes, like Rampe climbing the post or Cox gatecrashing the GWS warmup, there should be a please explain, but it was the commentary that was a farce. Basically said 'fair enough'! Imagine if Lynch or Pickett had done the same thing?
I said it when it happened, it wouldve been a free kick and a 50 on top. If it was Lynch he wouldve been reported.
Do u remember the day at Geelong we got pinged 2 or 3 times for holding after the ball was released which back then was a free kick and 50 thrown in.

I counted 4 times, without even trying, when players in other games did exactly what Shorty did. But unlike Shorty, they weren't penalised. One of them the commentators said 'we've seen a few penalised for that'. Maybe they had, but I'd only seen Shorty penailised (mis-spelt but it works) for it.

Yeah I saw the same, similar incidents, some who were clearly trying to get the ball out (which I don't think Shorty was trying to do, I think he was trying to go round whoever their player was and ran out of room). Penalise the guy trying to keep it in, and don't penalise the player trying to put it out. Makes sense.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users
I was listening to the radio the other day. The commentators said: he grabbed the player without the ball but the umpire said it was ok. Not only is it not ok to tackle a player not in possession of the ball, the contention the commentators were answering was that there were calls for holding the ball. No comment on how tackling the player without the ball was a clear violation and a free should have gone to the player tackled, wasn't even on their radar because holding the man is barely ever paid

The umpiring, and the commentary on the umpiring, is an absolute shambles.

DS

• Angry
Reactions: 4 users
I’m still wondering why the umpire called for a video review for the free kick against curnow in the goal square. I thought reviews were only to double check scores? Another first against us?
Cos if he got his foot to the ball it would’ve been a goal. Goal umpires soft call was a point but once it was established that he didn’t get his foot to the ball the field umpire stepped in with his call of htb or incorrect disposal (take your pick).

How long did that review go on…..wish Lynch’s review in elim final against Brissy in 2022 had the camera angles and time given that curnow’s effort had. Fn joke.

Reactions: 3 users
Somewhere, deep in our dynasty, the umps were told to “watch” us for overly rough play, giving lip, working the mark, you name it.

These umps aren’t corrupt but they’re human and that means they’re pretty dumb. There is absolutely an unconscious bias against Richmond as a legacy of our unsociable success.

As for the general state of the game, I also fear it’s becoming unwatchable. It’s the consistency.

Whether I’m watching Richmond or as a neutral, I constantly have this dread that a nice passage of play will be ruined by the umps whistle.

Too many technical frees are awarded and too many opportunities to umpire the game with common sense are missed.

I think the rules are there and are pretty reasonable (I’m even coming around to stand) but the quality of actual umpiring is poor.

It’s no fun to watch games and constantly dread the whistle.

Reactions: 8 users
I was listening to the radio the other day. The commentators said: he grabbed the player without the ball but the umpire said it was ok. Not only is it not ok to tackle a player not in possession of the ball, the contention the commentators were answering was that there were calls for holding the ball. No comment on how tackling the player without the ball was a clear violation and a free should have gone to the player tackled, wasn't even on their radar because holding the man is barely ever paid

The umpiring, and the commentary on the umpiring, is an absolute shambles.

DS
I’ve only ever umpired one game of footy. The one thing I told the players at the start was if they scragged before the contest I’d pay holding the man. Happened once in the first five minutes and I paid it then didn’t happen again for the rest of the game.

With you on this rant. Such an easy one to fix and would improve the footy immensely.

Reactions: 3 users
Cos if he got his foot to the ball it would’ve been a goal. Goal umpires soft call was a point but once it was established that he didn’t get his foot to the ball the field umpire stepped in with his call of htb or incorrect disposal (take your pick).

How long did that review go on…..wish Lynch’s review in elim final against Brissy in 2022 had the camera angles and time given that curnow’s effort had. Fn joke.
What would the decision be if it grazed the stud of his boot or he drop kicked it through- that is a goal, but players get done for incorrect disposal all the time when the ball touches their boot but they dont kick it cleanly- i reckon it happened to Mansell on the half forward flank at a similar stage of the game.
What would the decision have been if the replay showed Vlastuin tackled him clear too high?

Will goal reviews be used to decide if a ball went out of bounds before it was kicked? Or will it only be used if the ball is then touched on the line so the goal umpire needs a review to decide if it was touched, and then the review can also check the boundary line?

If the goal kicked late (maybe their last) was reviewed by the goal umpire would they have checked Cripps's throw as well?

Maybe the AFL has all these things covered in the rules, and i guess as long as the rules are clear and consistent it is ok, but clarity for everyone would be good.