Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
I’ve seen enough.

A shoulder charge is illegal in the NRL.

On at least two occasions we were pinged for holding the ball, when the prior opportunity issue was ignored, but more importantly, there was a flagrant front on launch at the tigers opponent.

Was such a tackle likely or possible to cause injury? Think about it MRO?

Is that tackling part of AFL? Jumping into an opponent!

Jeez, even the doofus in the NRL ban it!
No one was concerned about these tackles?

Watch the replay.

TygerTyger

oh yeah!
Oct 17, 2006
Richmond
Hey - Can anyone explain Rioli one - where he evades a tackler, bounces the ball then hand passes if off just as a brisbane player gets and ineffective finger nail on his jumper- was he pinged for HTB, incorrect disposal or a throw or something?

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
Hey - Can anyone explain Rioli one - where he evades a tackler, bounces the ball then hand passes if off just as a brisbane player gets and ineffective finger nail on his jumper- was he pinged for HTB, incorrect disposal or a throw or something?
You’re looking for an answer?

May I ask you by way of precedence, how does one best pick up a *smile*?

And. The answer is leave it for the umpires!

Tiger44

Tiger Superstar
Sep 23, 2005
As he bounced the ball Zorko did have his hand on him - didn't impede his progress one iota but to the letter of the law he did bounce it whilst being tackled so a free against - technically correct but as per usual no feel for the game from the umpires just like Jack's studs up fiasco last week. Should have been play on imo but there were plenty of worse decisions (like blocking Lynch) etc. etc. Yet Brisbane have the cheek to complain at treatment Cameron got from Grimes!!!!

T44

bowden4president

Stackman
Feb 19, 2005
Punt Rd
As he bounced the ball Zorko did have his hand on him - didn't impede his progress one iota but to the letter of the law he did bounce it whilst being tackled so a free against - technically correct but as per usual no feel for the game from the umpires just like Jack's studs up fiasco last week. Should have been play on imo but there were plenty of worse decisions (like blocking Lynch) etc. etc. Yet Brisbane have the cheek to complain at treatment Cameron got from Grimes!!!!

T44
I guess it depends on what constitutes a tackle. If that is considered a tackle then I’d expect tackle stats to be higher than they are.

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
I was watching that closely at the game. Rioli bounced the ball and while the ball was coming back to him Zorko grabbed him at the maggot called HTB. Insane

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
I was watching that closely at the game. Rioli bounced the ball and while the ball was coming back to him Zorko grabbed him at the maggot called HTB. Insane
It shat me, but I think it was the right call.

We need to bring a much better tackling game into the final.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014

That's holding the ball every time then. It doesn't have to come back to you first, the act of bouncing it (which is throwing it to the ground) gives up your right to dispose of it if you are then tackled. If you handballed it for it to come back to you that's a different story.

Reactions: 4 users

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
It’s the KB rule. Bartlett used to throw it out in front of him when he heard footsteps behind him. Would get a holding the man free paid to him all day. They changed the rule eons ago to counteract this. Has been a holding the ball (dropping the ball) free ever since. And rightly so.

Reactions: 3 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
That's holding the ball every time then. It doesn't have to come back to you first, the act of bouncing it (which is throwing it to the ground) gives up your right to dispose of it if you are then tackled. If you handballed it for it to come back to you that's a different story.
I think the ball had returned to Daniel AND THEN was grabbed by the jumper but in the speed of things and it’s appearance the umpire paid the free.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Relax people Rioli was holding the ball.
I’m not to sure if he and Bolton were instructed to take the game on, but both were caught holding the ball.
Pity some of the Brisbane players were allowed to flick pass the sherrin, the Broncos would’ve been proud,

TygerTyger

oh yeah!
Oct 17, 2006
Richmond
I get that the act of bouncing is considered "in possession" ... and the rule is you need to "Correctly Dispose" of the ball if you are 'correctly tacked' whilst in possession... but it didn't seem like Rioli was tackled in any meaningful way when the whistle was blown. It looked like he was maybe about to get tackled but when the whistle was blown the Brisbane player had barely touched him and Rioli looked to in control ... so maybe it was just a case of premature adjudication.

If the rule is - “if you bounce it then it’s HTB the moment an opposition player touches you” then it was the correct decision.

If the rule is you still need to be tackled - then it seems the definition of ‘tackled’ needs a bit of work