Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
Is this not "the Bartlett" rule. Was this "interpretation" not brought in to stop KB from bouncing the ball just as he was tackled to claim a "holding the man" free kick? It made bouncing it instantly HTB if you were being tackled specifically to stop KB.

tigerhalsey

RICHOOOO What A Mark!!
Jul 28, 2007
Melbourne
When I saw it live on t.v. I thought it was a correct decision and have seen it paid plenty of times before. If you bounce the ball and get even slightly touched its dropping the ball. But what do i know these days as i cant even tell what holding the ball or throwing the ball is anymore.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
HOLDING THE BALL
17.6.1 Spirit and Intention The Player who has Possession of the Football will be provided an opportunity to dispose of the football before rewarding an opponent for a Legal Tackle.
17.6.2 Free Kicks - Holding the Ball: Prior Opportunity (a) Where a Player in Possession of the Football has had Prior Opportunity, a Free Kick shall be awarded if that Player does not Correctly Dispose of the football immediately when they are Legally Tackled.

Possession of the Football: a designation to a Player who: (a) is holding or otherwise has control of the football; or (b) is in the act of bouncing the football

Legal Tackle or Legally Tackled: a tackle by a Player where: (a) the Player being tackled is in possession of the football; and (b) that Player is tackled below the shoulders and above the knees. For the avoidance of doubt, a Legal Tackle may be executed by holding (either by the body or playing uniform) a Player from the front, side or behind, provided that a Player held from behind is not pushed in the back.

There is no doubt Rioli had prior opportunity and was in possession of the football, and he was tackled. So technically correct decision. But I wonder if he had not bounced the ball, would that rather flimsy tackle be rewarded with a free kick? Most of the time, those brief tackles are not rewarded, and you are given some time to correctly dispose of the ball.

It’s not technically correct. Otherwise every time a guy is tackled after having prior opportunity it is a free kick regardless if they get rid of it correctly.

Its umpires getting swept up in the moment.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
There is no doubt Rioli had prior opportunity and was in possession of the football, and he was tackled. So technically correct decision. But I wonder if he had not bounced the ball, would that rather flimsy tackle be rewarded with a free kick? Most of the time, those brief tackles are not rewarded, and you are given some time to correctly dispose of the ball.

Bartlett used to bounce the ball just prior to being tackled, and get a free kick for holding the man. He never disposed of it legally. They changed the rule so that his bounce was deemed to be still in possession, and therefore not a free kick for holding the man.

Like many rule amendments, they have been interpreted differently to their original intention.
If rioli hadnt bounced the ball it would have been play on and the rule would have been interpreted as others are suggesting. Probably, because umpires are human.
The way this particular tackle was interpreted has not changed for 30 years.

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006
If rioli hadnt bounced the ball it would have been play on and the rule would have been interpreted as others are suggesting. Probably, because umpires are human.
The way this particular tackle was interpreted has not changed for 30 years.

Agree it has been interpreted that way. However the interpretation does not align to the actual rules, nor the original intention to stop the KB tactic.

There should be a tackle that stops the player from correctly disposing of the ball.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Running bounces and handpasses to oneself
Law 15.2.2 specifies that a player who is executing a running bounce or is handpassing to himself without the ball touching the ground is still considered to be in possession of the ball, even when it is not in his hands.[2] The practical consequence of this law is that a player who executes either of these skills while being tackled is automatically considered to be holding the ball under the prior opportunity rule.
[5]

The way i saw it was the same as the umpire, he was part way through bouncing the ball and the Lion grabbed his jumper. Not a tackle as we know it just a grabbed jumper. Game over. HTB. Correct interpretation. What happened before and after this exect moment are irrelevant to the decision for holding the ball against Rioli.
You cannot do it, it has been a part of the game since the 70s and it is probably the easiest decision in our game for umpires to adjudicate.
Rioli didnt argue, no tigers argued, didnt raise a mention in the commentary box.

This is correct. The umpire deemed Rioli had not received the ball back from the bounce when grabbed. That is a free kick. But if Rioli had regained possession before being grabbed he should not have been penalised because he disposed of the ball as soon as being tackled which complies with the below.

17.6.2 Free Kicks - Holding the Ball: Prior Opportunity (a) Where a Player in Possession of the Football has had Prior Opportunity, a Free Kick shall be awarded if that Player does not Correctly Dispose of the football immediately when they are Legally Tackled.

It's simple really.

B

Bill James

Running bounces and handpasses to oneself
Law 15.2.2 specifies that a player who is executing a running bounce or is handpassing to himself without the ball touching the ground is still considered to be in possession of the ball, even when it is not in his hands.[2] The practical consequence of this law is that a player who executes either of these skills while being tackled is automatically considered to be holding the ball under the prior opportunity rule.
[5]

The way i saw it was the same as the umpire, he was part way through bouncing the ball and the Lion grabbed his jumper. Not a tackle as we know it just a grabbed jumper. Game over. HTB. Correct interpretation. What happened before and after this exect moment are irrelevant to the decision for holding the ball against Rioli.
You cannot do it, it has been a part of the game since the 70s and it is probably the easiest decision in our game for umpires to adjudicate.
Rioli didnt argue, no tigers argued, didnt raise a mention in the commentary box.

This is an issue I raised earlier in the thread. The 2019 rules were changed far more than drastically than everyone realises. It wasn't just 666 and the kickin rule that change. The laws have been very substantially re written.

Case in point. Law 15.2.2 as quoted above no longer exists. Indeed there is no reference to 'running bounce' in the 2019 LAws of Australian Football at all. While I can understand the basis on which a free was paid against Daniel in previous years, there is actually nothing in the 2019 Laws that would prohibit what he did.

If you want to look at how much things have changed I suggest downloading the latest version and comparing it with any previous version you have. The changes are many.

2019 Laws of Australian Football

bowden4president

Stackman
Feb 19, 2005
Punt Rd
This is correct. The umpire deemed Rioli had not received the ball back from the bounce when grabbed. That is a free kick. But if Rioli had regained possession before being grabbed he should not have been penalised because he disposed of the ball as soon as being tackled which complies with the below.

It's simple really.
Makes you wonder why player who have had prior opportunity can be tackled, do a 360 and then dispose of the ball doesn’t get called HTB. That doesn’t really constitute immediate disposal.

Reactions: 1 user
B

Bill James

It's simple really.
Not so simple actually. Under your interpretation, you assume that because he has not regathered the ball after bouncing it he is deemed to have either
1. incorrectly disposed of the ball, or
2. has not disposed of the ball immediately when legally tackled.

There is nothing in the 2019 AFL rules that supports either assumption. As mentioned above, 'running bounce' is no longer mentioned in the 2019 rules and secondly, there is nothing in the 2019 rules that suggests a player bouncing the ball is afforded less opportunity to break a tackle or dispose of the ball than a player with prior opportunity who is not bouncing the ball.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
IMO the Rioli holding the ball was crap all round.

If he had been tackled properly i can understand it, but this decision was paid as if we're playing touch football. If that interpretation is correct, a tackler in that situation would be better off just touching the ball player lightly.

Every interpretation i've seen on tackling , the tackle had to restrict the opponent to be a legitimate tackle.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Furthermore, now that Brisbane are sooking about umpiring, lets take a good hard look at Stefen Martin when doing around the ground ruck work.

He has a strategy of sticking his elbow straight under the chin of his opponent and pushing upwards, forcing their head back, which makes balance extremely difficult. Watch the replay, he doesn't do this just once, he does this on a very regular basis. Not once did he get penalised.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Just watched Rioli again. That's ball everyday of the week. Opponent had a good full jumper hold. Rioli just totally unaware, not great play.

Reactions: 1 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
i agree with this. the rule says to dispose of it immediately. some players do 360 whizz while dusty gets a millisecond...

The general interpretation seems to be if the ball is knocked free in the tackle, holding the ball; if the ball is locked in, ball up.

Except for the exceptions...

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
This is an issue I raised earlier in the thread. The 2019 rules were changed far more than drastically than everyone realises. It wasn't just 666 and the kickin rule that change. The laws have been very substantially re written.

Case in point. Law 15.2.2 as quoted above no longer exists. Indeed there is no reference to 'running bounce' in the 2019 LAws of Australian Football at all. While I can understand the basis on which a free was paid against Daniel in previous years, there is actually nothing in the 2019 Laws that would prohibit what he did.

If you want to look at how much things have changed I suggest downloading the latest version and comparing it with any previous version you have. The changes are many.

2019 Laws of Australian Football
Cheers Bill,
I have indeed read the new interpretation, although i had not until today.
I still see the act and the decision as correct. He did not dispose of the ball correctly and was "tackled".
My take is that it is still as clear cut as you can get.
Disagree with the rule but the decision was as per the rules. 17.6.2 decribes the incident perfectly.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Doesn't matter. The bouncing of the ball represents prior opportunity ie you could have disposed of it instead so once you've been tackled it is deemed you ha prior opportunity and didn't take it so when tackled the free is paid against you even if you subsequently handballed it away. You only get one prior opportunity.

Anyone know when this event happened, I wanna see it again?

Never like sticking up for the green maggots, but yeah I like this strict interpretation. You have a bounce, and someone lays a hand on you, its GONE.

I called Danny GONE in real time.

anyone who chases down a Rioli deserves a kick I reckon.

Reactions: 2 users

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Not so simple actually. Under your interpretation, you assume that because he has not regathered the ball after bouncing it he is deemed to have either
1. incorrectly disposed of the ball, or
2. has not disposed of the ball immediately when legally tackled.
No, I am not assuming anything of the like. In that case he is still in the action of bouncing the ball whilst being tackled, which is a free kick.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Never like sticking up for the green maggots, but yeah I like this strict interpretation. You have a bounce, and someone lays a hand on you, its GONE.

I called Danny GONE in real time.

anyone who chases down a Rioli deserves a kick I reckon.
Why? It's not tag?