Umpiring in 2019 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpiring in 2019

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Just a thought bubble.

Will the RFC enjoy a better deal from the umps. in 2019. We were the bottom of the heap in 2018 and surely that can't continue.

And, will the Mudpies still be the top team for frees next year?

There will be a ridiculous rule of the off season that the umpires will be training for, and will subsequently use that rule to shaft us in Rd 1 against Carlspoon. Then the following day the umpiring dept head stooge will be put up in front of the media to explain that it was too strictly interpreted and that it will be much more lenient for the remainder of the round.

T-Shirt Tommy said:
There will be a ridiculous rule of the off season that the umpires will be training for, and will subsequently use that rule to shaft us in Rd 1 against Carlspoon. Then the following day the umpiring dept head stooge will be put up in front of the media to explain that it was too strictly interpreted and that it will be much more lenient for the remainder of the round.

So déjà vu all over again. Just like every other year.

I hope we get victimised even more. I kind of like bagging the whistle blowers while we are winning. It soothes the soul.

I am just hoping for the rule application and interpretations will apply to all eighteen teams this season and not like last season when one had to play with different rule application and interpretations. I wont hold my breath though

Baby steps. I'm hoping the free kick differential at the end of the season will only be in double figures. So if it's -99, it's a win for us

The Big Richo said:
I know it's a hugely unpopular view to express on a Richmond forum but I think it is worth considering why our free counts are so negative.

When you look at our major free kick conceders you have Nankervis (AFL 1) who goes hard, is under sized and clumsy; Martin (AFL 10) who takes on the tackler probably 15 times a game; Rance (AFL 22) who is a body spoiler whose technique is designed to ride the edge of giving a free away; Vlastuin and Graham (AFL 34 and 38) who are a mystery to me (tackling technique?) and Riewoldt (AFL 53) who is under sized and gives away lots of real obvious ones when caught out of position.

So on one hand we could sit back and believe the theory that the AFL and the umpires, presumably in conjunction with the Saucer People and those behind the assassination of J are conspiring to give us a raw deal with the whistle; or we could accept that there are some technical flaws in some our players and spend some time addressing them, and that in other cases their strength is also their weakness and free kicks are a logical by-product of their success as players.

I reckon I can guess which way the preseason focus will lean.

Yet Collingwood has undersized defenders and their freekick differential is the opposite to ours.

I have no idea why we get shafted, the explanation from Large Richo above explains some of it but there are players who sail close to the wind at every club, ours seem to get a raw deal.

I don't think there is a conscious bias, but whatever it is the free kick differential is ridiculous. We just don't have a group of players who play in such a way that explains the huge differential.

Do I think it will continue? Yep, can't see any reason why it is about to change.

What has always pissed me off about umpires is the inconsistency, and that's just getting worse. I know it is hard, but these are meant to be the best umpires and they are paid well for what they do, I expect better.

DS

I don’t think anybody really has an issue with the free kicks that we give away, it’s the ones that appear to the same that we don’t get that’s the problem.

It is not just the frees we "give away," but the ones we don't get that irks most Tigers.

Collingwood seem to get away with murder in that regard.

T-Shirt Tommy said:
Yep the main downside to playing first game round 1.

How many free kicks and goals did Carlton get for the 'protected area" infringements?

graystar1 said:
It is not just the frees we "give away," but the ones we don't get that irks most Tigers.

Collingwood seem to get away with murder in that regard.

Agree. They get heaps more time in releasing the ball. Where we get pinged immediately.
Their forwards also seem to get 50-50 decisions go their way too.

zippadeee said:
Agree. They get heaps more time in releasing the ball. Where we get pinged immediately.
Their forwards also seem to get 50-50 decisions go their way too.

Is it that the AFL want Collingwood to feature in the big games??

I ask the question. Does the AFl have any influence over the umpiring fraternity?