VFL finals eligibility | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

VFL finals eligibility

dcstar

Once sane, always Richmond......
Nov 5, 2003
Melbourne
Posted to the "Tiger Talk" list:

>Does anyone know the current rules for VFL/AFL players qualifying for VFL finals, and which players we have to make sure still will qualify?

They changed them 6 weeks or so ago.

Only 12 AFL-listed players can be selected.  Therefore you must have 10 VFL players.

These 12 AFL players  must have played at least 7 VFL games AND no more than 12 AFL games.

I think there is also a rule exemption for long-term injuries where a player can play if they have not played AFL but have played 1 VFL game.

Jay Schulz and Brent Hartigan are allready ineligable.

With 6 games left Rodan (10 games), Hilton (9 games), Zantuck (9 games), Pettifer (8 games) and Roach (7 games) are borderline.

Moore, Morrison, Marsh, Weller, Tuck and Jackson can't play enough AFL games to rule themselves out.

Regards,
Damian Streets

I think it will be a good idea to drop Roach and give him full games so he's ready for the finals.

Also it will be good for Tuck, Moore, Jackson and Dragga to play the rest of the season in the firsts and then they would be "cherry ripe" for the VFL finals after rd 22.

I think our club should try to get as many of the new kids to play the finals in Coburg by making sure they qualify under the rules.

It would be great for them to taste some sort of success togerther. It will go a long way to help bond the playing group further.

Al Bundy said:
I think our club should try to get as many of the new kids to play the finals in Coburg by making sure they qualify under the rules.

It would be great for them to taste some sort of success together. It will go a long way to help bond the playing group further.

Exactly, missing one or two senior matches now could pale into insignificance compared to winning finals as a group.

David C said:
Al Bundy said:

It would be great for them to taste some sort of success together. It will go a long way to help bond the playing group further.

Exactly, missing one or two senior matches now could pale into insignificance compared to winning finals as a group.
Out of interest DavidC, and in light of Coburg's financial plight since the fire ,what sort of money is awarded for winning the VFL premiership?

evo said:
David C said:
Al Bundy said:

Out of interest DavidC, and in light of Coburg's financial plight since the fire ,what sort of money is awarded for winning the VFL premiership?

Don't know, but it probably isn't that much!

I dont understand the reasoning behind the rule that says you can only have 12 AFL listed players playing in a VFL final.

Obviously it is to promote VFL football and have players from the VFL clubs given the chance to play finals, but wont it reduce the interest and quality of the VFL finals series?

Jorgenson, Talbot, Kuret, Carlson, O'Connor, Rayson, Pagan, Young are regulars in the Coburg line up, so i guess it wont affect us too much.

Never mind, just answered my own question.

DragicevicFan said:
I dont understand the reasoning behind the rule that says you can only have 12 AFL listed players playing in a VFL final.

If I remember correctly one of the VFL Grand Final sides last year only had one non-AFL list player in it!

I think these rules are fair and just. They are also in the best interest of the VFL helping them to retain players. It has not been fair that in previous years regular senior VFL players have been dropped for their AFL listed colleges.