VFL Round 5 - Richmond vs Carlton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

VFL Round 5 - Richmond vs Carlton

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
So we play top of the ladder Carlton in the VFL on Sunday who have a percentage of 186%. In a practice match a month ago the Blues beat us by over a 100 points I think, they were certainly up 96 to about 16 at half time o_O when i left.
Will be interesting to see how we stack up this time around.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
So we play top of the ladder Carlton in the VFL on Saturday who have a percentage of 186%. In a practice match a month ago the Blues beat us by over a 100 points I think, they were certainly up 96 to about 16 at half time o_O when i left.
we have such a young VFL side. And some development kids from rugby backgrounds.

I like the approach but some games will be ugly

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
we have such a young VFL side. And some development kids from rugby backgrounds.

I like the approach but some games will be ugly

Not exactly sure about total youth philosophy myself, our recent Grandfinal years have been supported by a very strong VFL program, success and a combination of youth and experience.

**Note: I am influenced by a discussion I had with Fly McCrae a couple of years ago:

When Fly was "promoted"? to a senior assistant coach I congratulated him but he said that it wasn't his preference at the time as he wanted to continue coaching the VFL side for a couple more years but he and the club had a difference of opinion on the direction of our VFL side. The club wanted to take it the total youth direction whereas Fly was more if it ain't broke don't fix it, success breeds success.

Interested what other people think?

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Geelong, Footscray, Box Hill Hawks and us have all one flags at the same time period in AFL and VFL.

The better our VFL team translates to the AFL program.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Not exactly sure about total youth philosophy myself, our recent Grandfinal years have been supported by a very strong VFL program, success and a combination of youth and experience.

**Note: I am influenced by a discussion I had with Fly McCrae a couple of years ago:

When Fly was "promoted"? to a senior assistant coach I congratulated him but he said that it wasn't his preference at the time as he wanted to continue coaching the VFL side for a couple more years but he and the club had a difference of opinion on the direction of our VFL side. The club wanted to take it the total youth direction whereas Fly was more if it ain't broke don't fix it, success breeds success.

We made the VFL grand final in 2017 and won it in 2019. The 2017 VFL GF side contained experienced players like Maric, Hampson, Lloyd, Griffens, Lennon, Conca, Batchelor, Hunt, Miles and Morris. In 2019 we had Morro, Weller, Towner, and probably some others I can't recall off the top of my head. In many ways our list topped out maturity-wise in '17 and we had to shed some experienced journeymen like Lloyd and bring in more youth. The 2019 VFL side felt like it had more kids in it?

With rebuilding on the run and our reserves players getting poached I'm not sure we had much of a choice but to go young.

Reactions: 3 users

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
We made the VFL grand final in 2017 and won it in 2019. The 2017 VFL GF side contained experienced players like Maric, Hampson, Lloyd, Griffens, Lennon, Conca, Batchelor, Hunt, Miles and Morris. In 2019 we had Morro, Weller, Towner, and probably some others I can't recall off the top of my head. In many ways our list topped out maturity-wise in '17 and we had to shed some experienced journeymen like Lloyd and bring in more youth. The 2019 VFL side felt like it had more kids in it?

With rebuilding on the run and our reserves players getting poached I'm not sure we had much of a choice but to go young.
def had more kids, also had exp VFL players, Silver, Beasley, Ballard , Coff etc

Reactions: 1 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb

Nice to have experience and youth playing as one, but with the relatively unknown quality of juniors coming in, caused through the reduction in time played as a result of COVID, not sure we have the space.

May seem strange but would love to see players like Sheds, Cotch and Jack play on in the VFL next season.

Billy24

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 25, 2014
So we play top of the ladder Carlton in the VFL on Saturday who have a percentage of 186%. In a practice match a month ago the Blues beat us by over a 100 points I think, they were certainly up 96 to about 16 at half time o_O when i left.
RFC website shows game is Sunday 17th at Ikon (Princes) Park

Reactions: 1 user

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014

as this discussion points out, it reflects the state of our overall list.
Ideally we have a mature, successful VFL side. But with our older 'afl' top 22, we are giving VFL game time to the younger players.
I'm happy to see RCD, Sonz, Rioli playing in the guts, Biggie as Full back etc and not having older VFL level players carry the load.
But no doubt we will be found out at times

Feb 25, 2007

VFL Tigers lock in side to face Blues

Richmond VFL has named its team for Sunday's clash with Carlton at Ikon Park.
By Richmond Media

VFL-19039.jpg

Richmond VFL has finalised its line-up for Sunday's clash with Carlton at Ikon Park.

Rebounding defender Nick Guiney will run out for his first game in the Yellow and Black.
The versatile 20-year-old arrived at Tigerland this season following an injury-affected season with the Oakleigh Chargers in 2021.
At 187cm and 93kg, he's a competitive youngster with excellent endurance and is strong in the contest.

53VFL-Richmond-8035.png

Joining Guiney as this week's inclusions are Josh Caddy and Rhyan Mansell, while out of last week's side are Tom Brown, Cam Olden and Tom Bracher.

Kane Lambert, who played two quarters in last weekend's VFL win over Footscray in his first game of the year, is expected to play three quarters this week.
To follow match updates from Ikon Park, stay tuned to @RichmondVFL on Twitter.
Fans can also watch every game of the 2022 Smithy's VFL season LIVE on AFL.com.au and the AFL Live Official App.

Richmond VFL's Round 4 team v Carlton, Sunday, April 17, 11.05am AEST, Ikon Park
(Swipe across on mobile)

B31. R. Mansell48. T.Young47. B.Nyuon
BH34. S.Banks64. M.Faimalo36. W. Martyn
C29. T.Sonsie26. R.Collier-Dawkins15. K.Lambert
HF38. N.Cumberland43 J.Clarke44 S.Stack
F49. M.Rioli Jnr32. S.RyanJ.Caddy
R20. I.Soldo55. L.Street16. J.Aarts
INT71. J.Davies62. N.Guiney52. A.Hicks
70. A.Johnson72. M.Lefau
23rd62. N.Guiney
EMG58. C.Olden56. R.Loton54. J.Sexton
73. S.Tucker67. F.Elliot66. B.Henderson
65. J.Nathan

In: Josh Caddy, Rhyan Mansell, Nick Guiney
Out: Tom Brown, Cam Olden, Tom Bracher

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg
Worked in a few VFL programs over the years, I think having a blend of youth and experience is really important, ideally the on field coaching type, one or two in every line to help with the players development. There is more to it than just chucking all the youth in and seeing if theyll sink or swim.

Reactions: 3 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Here's hoping the likes of Syd, Sonsie, Cumberland, Biggie, MoJo, Mansel, Soldol etc have good games tomorrow, because there should be a some spots available.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Here's hoping the likes of Syd, Sonsie, Cumberland, Biggie, MoJo, Mansel, Soldol etc have good games tomorrow, because there should be a some spots available.
Going by the way Dimma makes changes yeah there will probably be only 2 :))