WA Squad for Carnival & other Rep footy. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

WA Squad for Carnival & other Rep footy.

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
7 Thunder players named in State U/18 Squad
On 24-May-2005 18:38 Peel Thunder posted:

http://www.peelthunder.com.au/news/index.php

Peel Thunder have 7 players out of 32 in the State Under 18 squad which has just been announced. 6 of these players are still eligible to play Colts again in 2006, while Gumbleton, Williams, Bower, Riggio, O'Brien all played in the State under 16 team in 2004 which was the National Champion.

The players named in the 32 man squad are :
(I've highlighted the boys that I know.)

PEEL THUNDER
Hayden BALLANTYNE
Scott GUMBLETON - maybe Frank's son
Jacob WILLIAMS
Paul BOWER
Matt RIGGIO
Brock O’BRIEN
Kristan THORNTON

CLAREMONT
Alan TOOVEY - played very well last year, 189cm
Clint BENJAMIN - 188cm, short CHF, Ireland rep.
Eric MACKENZIE - 195cm, ruckman/forward, Ireland rep.
Preston O’KEEFE

EAST FREMANTLE
Andrew SWALLOW
Alex CIOTTI
Mitchell CLARK - 195cm, CHF, takes many a big mark
Leigh CONWAY
Josh KENNEDY
Patrick RYDER
Garrick IBBOTSON
Ben TAGGART
Dominic FOSTER

EAST PERTH
Shawn COLBUNG
Rhoan GLASS
Matthew SEAL
Gary MOSS - rover, Bedford's nephew.
Jarrod OAKLEY-NICHOLLS
Matthew LEUENBERGER

SWAN DISTRICTS
Jesse GRIBBLE

SOUTH FREMANTLE
Leroy JETTA - very quick midfielder, Ireland rep.
Clayton COLLARD
Justin HILL

SUBIACO
Cameron HEISE
Joel O’HALLORAN

The squad will commence training next week in preparation for the NAB AFL U18 Championships to be held in Melbourne in June. The squad will participate in two trial games with the first at Fremantle Oval on Friday 3rd June at 6.00pm, and the second involving a new initiative this year with a game against a WA State 20s on Saturday 11th June at EFTel Oval commencing at 1.00pm. The State 20s will be coached by Perth Football Club Reserves’ Coach, Peter Ashworth.

Gerard McNeill has been re-appointed as Head Coach for the State 18s and will be assisted by Kevin Bryant, Neil Mildenhall, Brad Wira and Jay Burton. Former East Fremantle Colts Coach, Ken Ferguson, has joined the program this year as the Chairman of Selectors. Former East Perth and East Fremantle Team Manager, Brearley Hollingsworth has been appointed as the Squad Team Manager with other support staff including Dr. Lionel Lim, Head Trainer Nicola Mawson, Physiotherapist Nic Caputi, Rehab Officer Les Fabre, and Runner Darren Davis.

West Australia will play Vic Metro in round 1 of the Championships at Optus Oval on Sunday 26th June. The game commences at 2.30pm EST and will be televised live on AFL Fox Footy. Game 2 will be at Skilled Stadium in Geelong on Wednesday 29th June with the final round of matches back at Optus on Sunday.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
Re: WA Squad for Carnival.

I really liked Andrew Swallow last year Phantom.I thought he wouldv'e been a good one for our rookie list.

Toovey looked pretty good too.I imagine these 2 must be coming along well.

No Monteith. :(

looking forward to the u/18 carnival.

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004

Yep, there's also the final trials over the next long weekend.

Toovey did well last year, playing 2 very good games. I cant remember Swallow doing much except kicking a good goal.

I like Toovey, he's the right type. 189cm, 77kg last year. Runs well.

We'll see how they've both developed.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003

any idea why no monteith? not good enough?

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004

evo said:

Nope. I can only guess that he wasnt good enough to make the side. You've got to admit that his name hasnt been posted that many times in the WAFL summaries. I dont have any inside info.

Joshnbeks Dad

You want me to park where?
Oct 14, 2003

Phantom said:
evo said:

Nope. I can only guess that he wasnt good enough to make the side. You've got to admit that his name hasnt been posted that many times in the WAFL summaries. I dont have any inside info.

Thats a shame cos it would be lovely to pick up a top 5 kid with pick 30 something under father son. The sooner we brred from Richo the better!

JoMamma

Tiger Rookie
Oct 4, 2004

Monteath had 13 pos. playing for East Fremantle's reserves' side. Dont know whether thats a promotion or a demotion judging by the way the EF senior list has been playing.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004

evo said:
I really liked Andrew Swallow last year Phantom.I thought he wouldv'e been a good one for our rookie list.

Toovey and Swallow were too young to rookie. I too liked Andrew Swallow. Bring on the Carnival.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003

Dyer'ere said:
evo said:

Toovey and Swallow were too young to rookie. I too liked Andrew Swallow. Bring on the Carnival.
yeah,now that I see the're playingu/18s again I'd gathered that.

catch you at the carnival dyer'ere.

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004

Here's the WA U18 squad from last year. Interesting to note those who have gone on, and those who are back a 2nd time. And of course those that didnt make it at all. A few of those that didnt make it may be in the WAFL U20 team trialling on Saturday.

2004 WA State 18s Team Final 25-Man Squad

Claremont
Brennen Mills
Mitchell Morton
Harry O’Brien
Alan Toovey
Beau Wilkes

East Fremantle
Andrew Swallow

Peel Thunder
David Butler
Ryan Nye
Ashley Thornton
Ben Wright

Perth
Lance Franklin

South Fremantle
Morgan Cooper
Thomas Corbett-Wynne
Brad Collard
Jordan Smith
Ashton Hams
Aaron Bowers
Scott Delmenico
Shannon Cox

Subiaco
Cameron Heise

Swan Districts
Simon Jones
Luke Blackwell
Paul Richardson

West Perth
Nathan Van Berlo
Mark LeCras

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA

toovey is a good un and will go reasonably early in this yrs draft.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv

the claw said:
toovey is a good un and will go reasonably early in this yrs draft.

Toovey is a very good player, I agree Claw. You've probably seen him play a bit over there. He's got the ability to a play a role similar to the way Collingwood are grooming Julian Rowe.

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004

WA State 20s Squad selected

http://www.wafl.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&aid=95346

The WA State 20s squad was finalized last night with a 23-man-squad to play the State 18s this Saturday 11th June, at EFTel Oval commencing at 1.00pm.
The State 20s will be coached by Peter Ashworth from the Perth FC and Michael Prior from the East Fremantle FC.

Peel Thunder’s Cameron White & Claremont’s Nick Derickx were unavailable for selection due to injury.

Final Squad:

WA STATE 20s 2005

1. WILKIE Gerard, South Fremantle
2. CORBETT-WYNNE Tommy, South Fremantle
3. O'BRIEN Rory, Peel Thunder
4. BARTHOLOMEW Ray, West Perth
5. GILHOLME Mark, West Perth
6. BATTYE Matt, Peel Thunder
7. ADAMS Theo, South Fremantle
8. WALTON Rory, Claremont
9. SEWELL Mitch, East Fremantle
10. HAMS Kyle, South Fremantle
11. HARPER Dylan, Swan Districts
12. HAMS Ashton, South Fremantle
13. SMITH Martin, Subiaco
14. EIFFLER Dylan, West Perth
15. FREDERICKS Luke, East Perth
16. JONES Brendon, Perth
17. DUNLOP Nathan, East Fremantle
18. WILLDAY Tom, Perth
19. BOWERS Aaron, South Fremantle
21. ZUCCONI Aaron, Perth
22. BURGER Luke, Subiaco
23. DITCHBURN Troy, South Fremantle
24. CHARTRES Danny, Peel Thunder

Interesting to note some of these players were in last year's U18 side, and werent picked up.
And these from 2003.
Shows you how many blossom late.

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004

Scouts target Priddis
By DIGBY BEACHAM
12jun05

http://www.sundaytimes.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7034,15587019%255E2762,00.html

VICTORIOUS WA coach Chris Waterman had no hesitation in forecasting an AFL future for brilliant Subiaco midfielder Matt Priddis after his sensational display in yesterday's 58-point victory over Queensland at Carrara Stadium.

Priddis, last year's WAFL rookie of the year, was clearly best afield despite spending the opening 20 minutes on the bench.

After replacing Lions teammate David Robbins in attack approaching time-on of the first quarter, the 20-year-old wasted little time in asserting his authority and just got better as the game progressed.

He sealed a deserved individual honour with two last-quarter goals, giving him three for the match.

"I think with Pridda, the question mark has always been his pace, but he just keeps finding the ball," Waterman said.

"This will be good for him and I've spoken to a lot of scouts and they're all thinking the same, but I reckon someone will grab him this year.

"Without putting the mocker on him, I think someone will have to eventually grab him because you can have all the speed and strength in the world, but eventually you have to have that player who can get the footy and that's what he's good at.

"You just know with Pridda that if the ball is in his area, he will find it and help out the team because his disposal is so tidy."

Priddis has had a succession of disappointments on draft days, even though he only turned 20 in March.

The latest blow came over summer when he spent time with Adelaide in the hope of being rookie-listed, only to be told at the end of the trial period that the Crows would be exploring other options.

That setback may have led to many youngsters questioning their worth, but not Priddis, who with the support of Subiaco coach Peter German, has backed up last year's excellent form with a brilliant first half of 2005.

"Getting an opportunity (in the AFL) is a big drive, but I've also tried to block it out of my a head a bit because of the disappointments," Priddis said.

"I've missed out on three drafts, so I've tried to forget about it; I'm trying to enjoy my footy with Subi and at the end of the year we will see what happens."

Priddis joins an illustrious group of WA greats who have won the Simpson Medal, with WA skipper Jaxon Crabb joking that he was calling his fellow midfielder "Simmo" in the final quarter.

"It's a huge honour and something that I really cherish," Priddis said. "Playing state footy is a step-up, but it's something that's really enjoyable and having a win makes it even better."

Priddis also praised German for his input on his game.

"Germo's been unbelievable, so professional," he said. "His professionalism has helped me so much in all aspects of my game and it's been huge for me, with my confidence and all-round game."

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004

Day in the sun for WA champs
By DIGBY BEACHAM
12jun05

http://www.sundaytimes.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7034,15587018%255E2762,00.html

THE WA state side will visit Dreamworld, the theme park on the outskirts of the Gold Coast, today before flying back to Perth.

It shapes as being the second time in 24 hours the players have had some fun in the Sunshine State following yesterday's 18.21 (129) to 11.5 (71) win over Queensland at Carrara Stadium.

Subiaco young gun Matt Priddis won the Simpson Medal after a dominant midfield display which included three goals, while Queensland's Justin Wilson was awarded the Zane Taylor Medal.

While WA was not in total control until the final quarter, the game may well have been out of Queensland's reach at half-time had the visitors finished better in front of goal.

A 16-point lead was the prize for Chris Waterman's men at the long break, despite having more than twice the scoring shots of the home team in a scenario similar to last year's state clash against Victoria at Leederville Oval, when a wasteful WA lost by 11 points.

Queensland football officials were delighted WA was willing to play yesterday's match because Victoria and South Australia had declined to do so.

Those officials should be well pleased with how the Maroons acquitted themselves in a contest most expected to be lopsided.

The standard was more than satisfactory and save for a crowd which struggled to reach 1000, it was a positive step for the development of the code in Queensland.

When the two teams last met at Fremantle Oval in 2002, WA posted a massive 111-point victory.

WA's greater spread of talent and a superior midfield simply wore down the Queensland players.

With Queensland receiving excellent service from half-forward Matt Dillon, midfielder David Lillico, goalsneak Justin Wilson and key defender Leigh McMahon, WA was unable to dictate proceedings.

When David James and Shaun Mugavin, a cousin of Brisbane Lions superstar Jonathan Brown, goaled in the opening five minutes of the third quarter, Queensland was only four points behind.

South Fremantle's Clint Jones destroyed the home team's hopes of a shock win with three unanswered goals in nine minutes as Luke Newick imposed himself at centre half-forward.

By three-quarter-time, the margin was 27 points and the Queensland resistance was waning.

The small crowd didn't have to wait long for some joy at the start of the match with Clint Watts' goal on the run from 50m in the opening 60 seconds serving notice WA would be extended.

The visitors replied with goals to Caine Hayes and Evan Hewitt, aided considerably by a forward set-up that was less congested on most occasions than the Queensland attacking 50m.

Late in the first term, Waterman injected Priddis into the match and he wasted little time in doing what he does best.

While not possessing blinding pace – the major reason he was overlooked for the national and rookie drafts – Priddis is outstanding in extracting the footy and using it cleanly.

Deceptively big and strong for a 20-year-old midfielder, Priddis worked well alongside captain Jaxon Crabb, Marc Webb and Chad Cossom.

Defensively, experienced pair Adam Lange and Toby McGrath overcame shaky starts to stabilise the WA back half, while Subiaco youngster Darren Rumble didn't disappoint in his state debut.

At the other end of the ground, former Brisbane Lions rookie-listed player Matt Pardew won his battle with WA full-forward Lachlan Oakley, even though the Subiaco spearhead finished with 2.3.

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
Re: WA Squad for Carnival & other WA Rep footy.

Queensland v Western Australia footy results for June 11
12 June 2005 Sunday Herald Sun

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,15584964%255E19897,00.html

Saturday's results.

WESTERN AUSTRALIA 4.6 8.13 12.18 18.21 (129)
QUEENSLAND 3.1 7.3 10.3 11.5 (71)
Goals: WA: M Priddis 3 C Jones 3 A Jones 2 L Oakley 2 E Hewitt 2 C Hayes S Beros A Pickett C Cossom D Robbins C Bossong. Qld: J Wilson 3 S Mugavin 2 C Watts L Weller K Abey K Fulton D Lillico D James. Best: WA: M Priddis M Webb M Quinn D Rumble J Crabb L Newick. Qld: J Wilson C Stiller C Watts M Pardew M Dillon D O'Brien D Lillico.

QUEENSLAND U-21 5.2 6.3 10.6 15.7 (97)
WA COUNTRY 1.1 5.3 7.6 10.9 (69)
Goals: Qld U-21: M Payne 3 A Knight 3 P Medveczky 2 M J Clarke 2 K Morris P Buller C Rose S Paterson T Marshall. WA Country: D Baynes 3 R Astbury N Ditchburn J Ward C Pearce C Doney B Marshall B Bootsma. Best: Qld U-21: D Hawkins S Gilbert T Harders G Lee T Marshall. WA Country: R Mott J McRae J Reynolds C Jas C Doney C Pearce.

As yet I can find no word about the U18 v U20 Trial game.

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
WA State 18s v WA State 20s and WA State 16s v WACFL Colts Results

http://www.wafl.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&aid=95381

EFTel Oval
WA State 18s v WA State 20s

WA State 18s: 2.1, 7.1, 9.3, 11.7, (73)
WA State 20s: 3.3, 5.6, 6.7, 11.9, (75)

WA State 16s v WACFL Colts
WA State 16s 12.17 (89)
WACFL Colts 7.11 (53)

Gee, they couldn't have given any less info. ;)