Wallace sacked in accidental Tiger purge | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Wallace sacked in accidental Tiger purge

kb7882

Tiger Champion
Jul 10, 2003
Lilydale
from www.thebladder.com.au

Wallace sacked in accidental Tiger purge
by STAFF REPORTERS

Richmond is again searching for a new coach after football director, recruiting manager, acting CEO, receptionist and bootstudder Greg Miller accidentally sacked Terry Wallace yesterday.

Wallace had only been in the job for two weeks when Miller made his fateful call at an evaluation meeting at Punt Road yesterday afternoon.

“It was just an unfortunate error,” said Tiger spokesman Greg Miller. ”Could have happened to anyone.

“Greg was going through the list of players with one of his assistants, and every time his assistant would call out a name, Greg would say either ‘Cut him’ or ‘Keep him’.

“Anyway, we went through Houlihan, Nicholls, Blumfield, and Greg cut them all. I think he was yelling ‘Cut him!’ on every alternate name at that point. Then the assistant said, ‘Maybe we should tell Terry Wallace’, and Greg called out ‘Cut him!’

“That was it really. Greg didn’t realise he’d actually cut the new coach until we drew up the list, in blood. Unfortunately Greg’s a man of his word, so Wallace just had to go. Terry wasn’t happy but said he respected Greg for looking him in the eye and telling him straight that he was out.”

Spokesman Miller said no replacement coach had yet been identified. But he said the club would prefer to wait until Hawthorn had nominated a preferred candidate for its position, then pinch him at the last minute.

“And if not, there’s always Greg Miller,” Miller said.

Not about Richmond, but still amusing nontheless  ;) !!!

from www.thebladder.com.au

AFL
Lion in line for Bravery Award
By John4103
Tuesday, 7 September 2004

Brisbane Lions centre-half forward, Jonathon Brown, was today nominated for the Bravery Awards after his actions in the match against St. Kilda on the weekend.

Field Umpire Steve McBurney nominated the player for the award after witnessing what he described as "the most selfless act committed on a football field in living memory!"

"A melee had formed and Brown, fearing for the safety of St. Kilda player Blake, (the smallest player in the area) proceeded to attempt to herd Blake away from the pack lest he be crushed."

"Although he had managed to steer Blake from immediate danger, Brown then gently compelled Blake to the ground and covered him with his own body with no thoughts for his own personal safety!"

"I freely admit that I was so choked for words I was unable to express my feelings at the time or give an all-clear so Brown had no choice but to lay there protecting Blake untill the danger had passed."

"If only more players would follow Brown's example, football can finally return to the good old days of the 80's where concern for your opponent was a hallmark of the era", agreed Brisbane Lions coach, Leigh Matthews.

"I regularly took it upon myself to see that members of the opposition team had their fair share of rest periods throughout the game." "In this fast-paced, physically-sapping game of ours, it's important that a player be encouraged to lay down and take a nap to concerve energy at times."

"While not all teams are maybe ready to see the light of these visionary tactics, we hope to spread the gospel to as many opponents as possible in the coming seasons."

Talk about the lighter side of AFL footy!

Good to see these funny articles pop up, and have a laugh ;D

Keep em coming, they are cool.