Wealth | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Wealth

Play Centre said:
Liverpool, when I buy a bag of apples at the local school fete I don't feel like I am being punished.
Is there something wrong with me?

Thats your CHOICE....like Pratt CHOSE to donate money.

What part of this don't you get.....I AM ADVOCATING PEOPLE TO HAVE A CHOICE WITH WHAT THEY DO WITH THEIR MONEY!!!! ::)

I am AGAINST having rules in place where if you have so much in your bank account then you have to donate or give away a percentage of it and that the Government determines how much you are allowed to have and how much 'is enough'.

I hope I have made myself clear this time.

If any of you multi-billionaires wish to choose to donate some money, just send a pm and I'll send you my postal address. Thanks. 8)

willo said:
If any of you multi-billionaires wish to choose to donate some money, just send a pm and I'll send you my postal address. Thanks. 8)

Not getting a bloody cent of me ya slackarse! :hihi

The way I see it, Livers, you would be one of those kids who play footy and count their stats, and it wouldn't matter if the team won or lost!

Play Centre said:
The way I see it, Livers, you would be one of those kids who play footy and count their stats, and it wouldn't matter if the team won or lost!

Depends if the team we were playing was a juggernaut with a superior squad or not. :p

Liverpool said:
Why does anyone have a responsibility to 'donate' their money to people who can't even take responsibility for their own pathetic lives?

This is where you go wrong every single time Livers. You fail to realise that there are millions of people out there that are in horrible situations that no amount of responsibility on their behalf can help. There is nothing pathetic about these people's lives at all.

Disco08 said:
This is where you go wrong every single time Livers. You fail to realise that there are millions of people out there that are in horrible situations that no amount of responsibility on their behalf can help. There is nothing pathetic about these people's lives at all.

Really?
So someone who has been on the dole for 10 years (and I know one such person!) can't help themselves?
Come off it!

I don't know what is more pathetic...the people who CHOOSE to live off welfare and hassle people in the street for change...or the people making excuses for them.

In fact...instead of having thresholds demanding people with money donate it to the loafers....what next, a "tall tax" and give it to short-arses out there to "make it fair"? ::) :cutelaugh

Tall men earn more than shorter workers, study finds
AUSTRALIAN researchers have found that tall workers earn more than their shorter colleagues, especially among men.
A man who is six foot can expect to take home a "wage premium" of almost $1000 a year.
The boffins paint a bleak picture for the vertically-challenged, but there's good news for chubby workers.
Overweight people actually earn more than their skinny workmates.
Researcher Andrew Leigh, an economist at the Australian National University, said a factor in the tall men's pay perk was that they were more capable at some physical tasks, such as reaching the top shelf.
"Beyond that is basically discrimination," Prof Leigh said.
"We tend to think that tall people are more powerful and smarter, even when they're not necessarily."
Prof Leigh, who stands at 180.34 centimetres, said it was unfortunate that society was biased towards taller people. There was not much short people could do about it.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25495970-661,00.html

Liverpool said:
Really?
So someone who has been on the dole for 10 years (and I know one such person!) can't help themselves?
Come off it!

I don't know what is more pathetic...the people who CHOOSE to live off welfare and hassle people in the street for change...or the people making excuses for them.

See? You can't even figure out that although people like this exist there are also many people who are genuinely disadvantaged.

Disco08 said:
See? You can't even figure out that although people like this exist there are also many people who are genuinely disadvantaged.

Thats why we have tax thresholds, charities that people can CHOOSE to donate to, etc.

Making rich people subsidise the unfortunate and giving them no choice, is wrong in my opinion.
Its not their responsibility or fault that these people are "disadvantaged", is it?

Disco08 said:
No it isn't, and no one has said that it is.

Then if it isn't their responsibility or fault that these people were "disadvantaged"...why is it their responsibility to fix it?

Liverpool, I have been reading some of your stuff and it seems that you like to trot out your usual villians no matter what the debate.

The point that I was trying to make was that in all sorts of ways, most of us try and help out in our communities and in wider society. i would suggest that most people are genrous and symapthetic to all sorts of causes.

The recent bushfires are a great example of the generosity and humanity of many Australians, not just the wealthy.

Why do you persist in trying to disrupt the debate with your own personal bugbears?

Play Centre said:
Liverpool, I have been reading some of your stuff and it seems that you like to trot out your usual villians no matter what the debate.
The point that I was trying to make was that in all sorts of ways, most of us try and help out in our communities and in wider society. i would suggest that most people are genrous and symapthetic to all sorts of causes.
The recent bushfires are a great example of the generosity and humanity of many Australians, not just the wealthy.
Why do you persist in trying to disrupt the debate with your own personal bugbears?

Yes, people who CHOOSE to donate money to causes such as the bushfire victims (I was one of them also) are generous....and yes, these generous people come from all walks of life, some poor themselves, some very wealthy.

And the debate is about re-distributing rich people's money and giving it to the poor, as you can see from the initial post on this thread:

dukeos said:
Just checked on Wikipedia, the top 100 billionaires on the planet, and it got me thinking. How much is enough.
I'd say 1 billion should be the cut of. How could you spend more than a billion dollars. Its probably too high, but I'm cutiing some slack for those who have grown up with opulance and probably couldnt hack driving around in a Merc.
If we, the planet's dwellers, redistributed only the top 100 Billionaires wealth, we would have around 1 Trillion dollars to play with. Imagine how much we'd have if we got every Billionaires extra monies. And check out where some of those billionaires live, India, Mexico, Brazil ect ect.
And we spend over a Trillion on "defence".

So how am I "disrupting the debate" by saying I am against this idea and that people out there need to take responsibility for their own actions, for a start?
That rich people do NOT have a responsibility to others just because they are rich....which is what I have said to Disco in my previous 2 posts.

Hmmm....

The other point to make is that this is net wealth - that is all the wealth the individuals have tied up in assets and companies. So it's not personal wealth in most cases. The money is tied up in corporations that are working, doing business, employing thousands of people.

If we were to take this money away, what happens to those corporations? What happens to all the people employed by those corporations? What happens to the economies that depend on those corporations?

Now I think obscene personal wealth is not too flash either but this is too simplistic a way to look at the problem IMO.

antman said:
Hmmm....
The other point to make is that this is net wealth - that is all the wealth the individuals have tied up in assets and companies. So it's not personal wealth in most cases. The money is tied up in corporations that are working, doing business, employing thousands of people.
If we were to take this money away, what happens to those corporations? What happens to all the people employed by those corporations? What happens to the economies that depend on those corporations?
Now I think obscene personal wealth is not too flash either but this is too simplistic a way to look at the problem IMO.

Totally agree Antman. :clap

Liverpool said:
Then if it isn't their responsibility or fault that these people were "disadvantaged"...why is it their responsibility to fix it?

I didn't say it was Livers. I only objected to your inference that every person that needs help via donations is a pathetic dole bludger.