Web hosting etc | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Web hosting etc

rokin.tiger

Tiger Champion
Apr 8, 2007
Punt Road
Hi All,

Hoping someone has any expertise or advise on the above topic.
I have purchased a domain and have found a template to use, but how do I go about the hosting/server side of things?
A web guy sent me a quote for $3,500
Nearly fell off my chair...
Any pointers??

Cheers

Rokin

Was the $3500 to design and maintain your website rockin? Very steep cost. I don't have any expertise and can't really give much advice sorry. I did a lot of searching and comparison to find PRE's new hosts recently. Our criteria was to find a host in Australia that has good support and can cope with our heavy traffic and large database. It needed to be fast and reliable. I guess it depends on the individual website, what's on it and what it's to be used for. You can get some hosting for free, some for a fortune and some for a modest charge. You need to decide if an individual plan would suit your purpose or if you need a more expensive business plan. If you don't get any recommended by word of mouth try a search and compare what the different companies offer and contact them with any questions.

Thanks Rosy have been looking everywhere and asking everyone and getting many different responses...

I found a template that I'm happy to purchase and showed the web guy, so he understands that, that's why the $3500 took me by complete surprise..
Have told him that's not what i'm prepared to pay at this stage.
Basically it's for a small promotional clothing business I have just started with a colleague so I'd imagine not a high traffic site like PRE
All it would do is have info and photos on the products with contact details, nothing amazing...

Thanks again, will continue comparing!

Cheap web hosting is one part. Getting your site up is another.

For the website itself it might be an idea to outsource overseas. elance.com, freelancer.com, odesk.com. Put your specs up there and see what people bid. Bound to be a hell of a lot cheaper than 3k.

As for the web hosting, i.e. the server you put your website where people can see it, look at the whirpool.net.au forum and see what people are recommending there. or ask the questions there and get opinions from people with similar sites to yours.