Welcome Sam Naismith | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Sam Naismith

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Naismith is by no means a star at VFL level. (Samson is already twice the ruck.)

What Naismith has is agility. He's slippery for a big bloke. No. He can't mark a football. But he has a bit of ground game. And he'll break a line at VFL level.

He's out of touch with AFL levels. But he was able to slip into position when he played forward against Melbs and get a hand to the ball. Yes. He was annihilated in the ruck and looked many rungs below the level.

Here's the thing. He can't remember what AFL level is. His muscles don't remember. We have to develop Naismith. So we have to keep him in. Or Capuano him. I'd say play him.

Reactions: 1 users

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
Ye
No.

Kosi did nothing. 4 gimme goals, most of them from Sonsie's good work.
Yes, they mostly came from turnovers where he was loose out the back.

Naismith is depth only. Need to give Samson first preference for that role purely for development.

Lefau is also a credible second ruck when we get more options in the forward line.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Naismith spent most time forward looking at the stats.

Toby had 15 centre bounce attendances to Sam's 6.
Toby had 37 ruck contests to Sam's 26.
Toby had 15 HOs to Sam's 9.

Ultimately though both got smacked by Gawn.

Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Naismith spent most time forward looking at the stats.

Toby had 15 centre bounce attendances to Sam's 6.
Toby had 37 ruck contests to Sam's 26.
Toby had 15 HOs to Sam's 9.

Ultimately though both got smacked by Gawn.
They both did get beaten by Gawn.

One thing that was reinforced to me is that we can’t play 2 rucks when neither can play forward with any effect. Naismith had his chances to kicks goals but he can’t kick. If Samson has the same number he will kick a couple.

There is a question about Samson’s development however. I consider him a ruck, so is his development better served by playing 1st ruck in the vfl or playing forward and relief ruck in the AFL? I don’t know but I suspect he would be of more value to the senior team than Naismith is when Nank is playing.

On Nank I have some concerns. A few times this year he has had decent numbers ( he had 18 on Wednesday night) but his opponent has had even better ones ( Gawn 23, Marshall 23, Grundy 23). Are the days of these guys actually playing on each other gone? We have had a number of rucks dominate us this season.

Reactions: 1 user