Welcome to Tigerland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigerland

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Well last night myself and Darren Hutchinson had the pleasure of being part of the Welcome to Tigerland evening. Many thanks to DC for getting us onto it as part of our sponsorship of Ray Hall. Jim Bisas & Matt Gilbert were also supposed to be there but I didn't spot them. Overall it was a good night and I would recommend it for anyone who can wrangle a spot next season.

The evening started with a 5 - 10 minute speech from Clinton Casey in the MCG Gallery of Sport Courtyard. Prior to this Rory Hilton was walking around interviewing people, I imagine it was for the Tiger's show on Fox or Ch 31 if that is still on? This was followed by a tour of the Members stand with an MCG guide for about 30 minutes or so. It took in most of the stand as well as a quick sit in the coaches box. I believe you can take this tour anytime. The tour ended in the RFC changing rooms.

We were then shown a 5 - 10 minute video that was put together by Danny for the boys before the Wizard cup game and Greg Hutchison ran thorough a typical pre game day in the rooms for us. We also got a look at the team for this week on the white board. Greg said there were no secrets in practice matches. It was pretty interesting and entertaining. After that I had the pleasure of being the RFC Captain for a day as I lead the team (group) out, down the race and onto the MCG! Unfortunately there was no banner to break through.

We were greeted on the "G" by David Rodan, Duncan Kellaway and Rory Hilton. Each spoke to us for about 5 minutes just in general and also gave us a bit of an insight as to what it is like coming down the race with a full crowd. Each gave a little story of the first time on the "G" in the yellow and black. David showed that he likes to be the comic relief. He seems like a genuine guy though and quite well spoken. He told us that he needed a push start from Knighter on the way out for his first game as he got to the end of the race and just froze! Duncan told us how the first time he ran through the banner it nearly ripped his ear off so now he always stays at the back and won't let any of the banner touch him.

After that we made our way out of the "G" and over to the Social Club at Punt Rd for drinks and a few nibbles. Greg Hutchison, David Rodan, Duncan Kellaway and Rory Hilton were all mingling as well as Nadine Ibbott (sp?) and a few of the other staff from the membership department. Duncan came over to Darren H and myself and chatted quite happily for 15 minutes or so. We grilled him on a few of the players and also asked if he knew of anyone who may get on the net and read things being said about themselves. He said no one to his knowledge but he did indicate that he reads most of the press.

A few things of interest from that I picked up on from our probing questions. According to Duncan, Wayne Brittain has basically been the senior coach since he arrived and has conducted most of the pre season. When asked about the young (new) guys Duncan indicated that Fleming is a chance to play this year and is a pretty hard nut and will run through anyone (hence the broken wrist!). McGrath is a chance and I quote "if he gets his act together". Not sure if this inferred that he wasn't 100% committed or just that he is still very young and raw. Duncan did add that he is still very skinny and he couldn't see him playing full games for a while yet. He also believes Shultz (sp?) will also get a run and is pretty developed for his age. Pretty unusual given RFC's usual habit of picking the smallest and skinniest they can find.

So sum up the rest Rory's shoulder is good and David Rodan is a dag. I'm sure Darren H will add his 2 cents worth when he can. If I think of anything else I'll post it next week. I'm off to Sydney now!
- -

A

admin

Thanks for that Gus.  I read it on another site and found it very interesting.  

I e-mailed it to a couple of friends but didn't like to poach it to post on here myself.
Were you there?

I reckon the night was a great idea for the new members, but as TigersGoddess said in a previous post she'd like to have a tour of the G and chat with the players as well.
I guess the weight of numbers would make it uneconomical to have a similar function giving previous members the same opportunity.

Anyway here's hoping from now on they make the place welcoming so new members want to be a part of it.

P.S. RFC, it might be an idea to reply to some of their correspondence at times too, ha. ;)

P.S. Interesting what Dunc said about Brits doing the role of senior coach and doing most of the pre season training.
Hopefully Danny's time has been consumed plotting a fail proof game plan to beat Collingwood.  ;D
Go Tiges.