Welcome Tyler Sonsie | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Tyler Sonsie

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Surprised at any negativity about his game. You play what is in front of you and he was very good.
One of the keys with Sonsie is to understand what sort of player he is and not expect him to be something else. He is not an in and under mid he is an outside mid. His strength as a mid is reading the play and being available again and again, to complement the work the inside mids do.
Teams need both inside and outside mids, you can’t have exclusively one or the other. He is a different player to say Thomson Dow or from what I have seen Kane McAuliffe as well.
The only comment on that is that when it is his time to go he has to do it and this year I think he has generally but he can still get better at that, his body is bigger than it was.
He is a good reader of the play and his kicking skills are good. If there is a senior spot in the midfield we have to play him imo and if there is not he plays mid in the VFL. I don’t want to see him playing half forward in the seniors except by necessity.

Reactions: 8 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
We’re stufffing Sonsie around. Just accept his weaknesses and focus on his strengths. Stop playing him as a half forward. Let him accumulate around the ground as a receive mid from the bulls and take advantage of his play reading, decision making and execution. Give him an extra spell or rotation on the bench to account for his aerobic limits at the moment.

Yes he’s not great at pushing back or defensive work rate but that can still come. Yes he’s not that physical. Maybe he won’t make it, who knows. But right now we’re not cashing in well enough on his positives to make a good enough determination of that imo.

Free Sonsie !

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users

Batchelor Party

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 25, 2011
USA
Why not play him at half back as a distributor and move Daniel Rioli either into the midfield or half forward? We have nothing to lose finding out about these players.

Reactions: 1 user