Welcome Tyler Sonsie | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Tyler Sonsie

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Go and get 25 touches for a month. Kick goals every week.

Got a taste but didn't really take it. Go again son. We desperately need you to make it.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Between injuries and some really mediocre form, the class of 2021 looks like a disaster at this point.
Its not good. But I'd call it a disaster if we'd botched the Gibcus pick. Injury aside, I think he'll be a gun, which is the main thing. Brown is showing a bit. For me a pass mark would be top 10 pick nailed, 1 good player/ 2 solid players from the rest.

What we wanted and what the odds say will be delivered are 2 different things. For me a disaster would be a 0 or 1 out of 10. I'd give it a 4. Could yet be a 6. To stay a contender we needed it to be an 8 or a 9, its definitely not that.

Reactions: 1 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Skilled player but not yet a hard player

Will watch with interest this season

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Go and get 25 touches for a month. Kick goals every week.

Got a taste but didn't really take it. Go again son. We desperately need you to make it.
Might help if we played him in a position that he is better suited to.

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
Between injuries and some really mediocre form, the class of 2021 looks like a disaster at this point.
House Yes GIF

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Was it the right year to have 5 in 30?
Just coming out of Covid,
Kids maybe not as ready as in previous years.
The club missing kids under there noses, Durham and Songlio.
You can even throw Dunkley in there too a couple of seasons before.
For us to improve List management needs a huge improvement. Not sure going to the worse performing side in 200 yrs and picking up there old recruiting bloke was a good idea either.
West Coast would hide kids,
Collingwood seems to pluck academy kids from no where.
I don't blame Sony because he might’ve been good in out 1994 side, not today's fast paced,, manic pressure game

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Was it the right year to have 5 in 30?
Just coming out of Covid,
Kids maybe not as ready as in previous years.
The club missing kids under there noses, Durham and Songlio.
You can even throw Dunkley in there too a couple of seasons before.
For us to improve List management needs a huge improvement. Not sure going to the worse performing side in 200 yrs and picking up there old recruiting bloke was a good idea either.
West Coast would hide kids,
Collingwood seems to pluck academy kids from no where.
I don't blame Sony because he might’ve been good in out 1994 side, not today's fast paced,, manic pressure game

How did we miss Dunkley? The only pick we had before he was drafted was used on Dan Rioli. I reckon that was a pretty successful pick!! You don't have come out with some crap at times.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
Might help if we played him in a position that he is better suited to.
People have questioned his tank through the midfield- I just can’t believe he can be recruited as a mid, a junior mid, have 3 years in the system and not be fit enough.
Maybe not mentally tough enough to gut run, but surely his endurance capabilities were measured.
Our midfield will run out of juice tonight, nothing surer.
I think he should be out there in the midfield tonight running out of juice with them, might learn something

nswtiger

tiger army tiger army!! thank you very much
Feb 14, 2005
Nrth NSW
,he doesn't work hard enough on defensive he needs to work hard both ways ......all the time
.he got to develop that side of his game further ...........the opposition think he is lazy on defensive and use that against 'us'
he is very skillful .one way ........got to work harder .he got to earn his spot via his defensive work

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
How did we miss Dunkley? The only pick we had before he was drafted was used on Dan Rioli. I reckon that was a pretty successful pick!! You don't have come out with some crap at times.
We couldve done a Geelong and traded in an extra pick.
He was under our nose.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I posted a while ago that Sonsie is a midfielder and we need to play him as one. He is primarily an outside mid but there is nothing wrong with that, teams need a mixture.
The trouble is we were playing him in the AFL team as a forward and he isn't a forward. He can do some good things but we aren't maximising his skill set.
The answer at that time and still is that if he can't get an AFL midfield spot we need to play him in the vfl and see if his form screams out to pick him and that is what we have done.
I think it is exactly the right thing to do with him.

Reactions: 8 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
We couldve done a Geelong and traded in an extra pick.
He was under our nose.

What picks? In 2016 we used our picks to trade in Prestia and Nank who have been very successful. We didn't have any picks to get Dunkley, he's not a miss by us at all.

Reactions: 2 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
I posted a while ago that Sonsie is a midfielder and we need to play him as one. He is primarily an outside mid but there is nothing wrong with that, teams need a mixture.
The trouble is we were playing him in the AFL team as a forward and he isn't a forward. He can do some good things but we aren't maximising his skill set.
The answer at that time and still is that if he can't get an AFL midfield spot we need to play him in the vfl and see if his form screams out to pick him and that is what we have done.
I think it is exactly the right thing to do with him.
Yes but the problem is we already run Shai and Dusty through our AFL midfield too who are mostly outside and don't do much chasing and tackling (esp. DM), so we can't afford another one most likely.
Also, AFL is well and truly another step in the players' size, speed and pressure applied. There's a lot less time to use the ball and it's tougher to get in the first place. Has Sonsie got the requisite size, ferocity (some small players do succeed with these requisites e.g. Baker, Papley) ?

Looking at him closely today, these are my doubts. Can find the ball and a good user but just not sure he has the entire package required.

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Yes but the problem is we already run Shai and Dusty through our AFL midfield too who are mostly outside and don't do much chasing and tackling (esp. DM), so we can't afford another one most likely.
Also, AFL is well and truly another step in the players' size, speed and pressure applied. There's a lot less time to use the ball and it's tougher to get in the first place. Has Sonsie got the requisite size, ferocity (some small players do succeed with these requisites e.g. Baker, Papley) ?

Looking at him closely today, these are my doubts. Can find the ball and a good user but just not sure he has the entire package required.
He is 181 . Plenty big enough to be an outside mid.

Playing well today, needs to knock the door down.