Whats been our worst days in the past 20 years?? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Whats been our worst days in the past 20 years??

P

PuntRoadRoar

other than the obvious "everyday in the past 20 years" answer, does anyone have any specific day that they remember that "hurt" ?

my most recent day was that loss to the kangaroos in round 11.

another day that stands out for me was round 17 1997 v Adelaide at Football Park we lost that day by 130 odd points and i remember thinking that the game was actually over at 3qrt time and then they both ran out for the last quarter and to think we had to have one more quarter of pain, that day i wished there was a mercy rule.

Any day that Carlton has beaten us.
The last time (Round 19) is still high on the nightmare list :mad:

ouch that was a nasty day for us all captain blood.

The day Dunstall kicked 18 goals and we got annihaleted to boot. 1992 I think. No wonder Jeans lasted 1 year!

The most recent loss always seems to hurt the most on Mondays :( then its ready to go again by Friday :). Although this year feel like we're treading water waiting for trade/draft period to arrive.

Worst moment would be Freezer doing his knee then finding out it had ended his footy career :'(. Lost our captain in his prime and one of our best and most vital players.

Oh god there are so many........but here a few wrist slashers:

Loss to Collingwood in I think 1987 when we were 50+ points up during the 3rd quarter.

Loss to Essendon in early 90s, when Bomber Thompson kicked a goal after the siren.

Loss to North in 1996 and Melbourne in 1999 in the last round of the year and thus missing finals.

It's wasn't so much as bad day, but a bad preseason. 1992/3 when Wood, Cloke, and Raines walked out.
We've had plenty off bad days since then.

My most disappointing day would be 2001 final against the bombers, we got flogged. I'm sick of getting flogged by the bombers.

CARN THE TIGES!!!!

IMHO you can't go past round 22 1998 vs Melbourne.

We didn't just lose we were smashed and considering a finals spot was up for grabs it was embarrassing. Never been so angry leaving a game in my life and I have never felt the same towards the club since.

In hindsight that should have been the catalyst for big changes amongst the playing list but neither the pres, CEO or coach at the time could see the problems.

I agree with Captain Blood.
That final at Waverley,never forget MickGale kicking the ball backwards ever.
I remember all the Tigers supporters on the outer side singing the theme song at three quarter time and through the last quarter in the rain.
Wasnt a good day !
Couldnt get out of the car park either but who ever could!

tigerman said:
My most disappointing day would be 2001 final against the bombers, we got flogged. I'm sick of getting flogged by the bombers.

That's the only time I've ever left a game before the end. We did have something we had to get home for and had a long drive ahead, but I admit if we performed better I wouldn't have left.
I remember sitting there thinking if they are'nt going to put in a decent performance why should we sit around waiting for the siren.
Geez it's embarrassing getting heckled as you walk up the aisle early. I don't think I could ever do it again.

TigerFurious said:
IMHO you can't go past round 22 1998 vs Melbourne.

We didn't just lose we were smashed and considering a finals spot was up for grabs it was embarrassing.

Remember that day well. I got nervous as soon as Melbourne brought out the pompom girls and I've had a superstition about them ever since. A lady behind us was super upset (drunk too) and calling out all the time to Joe about diamonds etc. Her husband dragged her out kicking and screaming. In their haste they left a couple of bags of merchandise they'd bought before the game. We contacted the club and MCG about it but noone ever claimed it so my family got new Tiger coats and polo shirts etc.

That melbourne game was a nightmare. Didn't we have to then beat carl by 30 points to make the finals the next week and we got hammered again? Devastated by that melb loss...we had everything to play for.

Losing that ess final after beating them the previous week and having to watch lloyd kick his 100th...

One day at Windy hill, standing amongst the ess ferals, paul vanderhaar's comeback after breaking his leg falling off his motor bike and him being snuck into the team by Sheedy (must have been 81-82) back before there were rules against it. He kicked 3 or 4 including one booming torp from the centre square and they came back from 20 points down half way through the last quarter to beat us.

Fighting Fury said:
Didn't we have to then beat carl by 30 points to make the finals the next week and we got hammered again?

Nah FF, that Carlton game was round 22, 2000. We lost to the swans at docklands by a point the week before.

Wasn't expecting us to win the melb game in 98. They were flying and we were gawn well before then. Had all the momentum (9-6) leading up to the break (round 15) then came back after the break like a bottom 4 side. Like TF said it should have been the catalyst for a major overall of the player list but nothing was done.

The Boss said:
Loss to Essendon in early 90s, when Bomber Thompson kicked a goal after the siren.

I remember that day clearly Boss - also remember wanting to jump off the 2nd level in the Southern Stand, was totally devasted. That's when we averaged about 3 wins per year and that one killed me.

its good to get an idea of what people have memories of. This has been an interesting read

about 6 yrs we lost to the crows on the MCG by 110 points one wet dreary miserable melbourne afternoon. supporters ran down to the boundary line in the rain and threw away their membership cards b4 storming off and it made the news that night.

and

any carlton loss (as mentioned previous)

Who could forget the two games in a row in 1987 against the swans and the pies, that we led by 8 goals in the third quarter and lost!!!

too many to remember, but i gotta say, losing to the swans this year (rnd 10?) will be in my top 5. here we are neck and neck, both in the 4. I live in sydney and went to a pub. gave it to all swans supporters i could find. had a few mates there who supported swans too. In the last quarter i was just copping it so bad...
and it was the end of our season.
???

Of course, waaay too many to mention them all BUT

The GROUNDHOG DAY series of losses to Essendon in 1999, 2000, 2001 really stick like a bone in my throat. Play any match from those seasons and it was EXACTLY the same: match over after the first quarter, with the bummers doing all there flashy stuff, showing obvious glee and taking delight in how cr@p we were (are).

Add to that any of the close, soft, dreadful losses to bottom 8 or ordinary interstate clubs that are the difference to us making the finals every year - we've had four this year: Sydney, Kangaroos, Carlton, Geelong. In 2000 it was Fremantle and Sydney by a point in Melbourne. For some reason our players seem to 'coast' in these games, then wonder why they're booking holidays in September!

Exactly Hungry. It infuriates me when club reports praise our close losses to bottom of the ladder teams by saying we weren't far away. Pride should make them ashamed of losing to the wooden spooners by a point.