This years recruits | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

This years recruits

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Now the season is over it is a good time to assess our new recruits. IMO another wasted season of recruiting.

Johnson - Although Johnson has his fans amongst posters, I am not one of them. He has gone missing too often in the big games. Also in the games that he has racked up numerous possessions, the majority of them have been ineffective quick, long kicks to contests. His composure, evasive skills and overall vision are very average at best. I would rate him as a poor mans version of Wayne Campbell and I'm not the biggest fan of Campbell. At his age he will only probably have 5 years left. In hindsight definately not worth the draft pick we gave up.

Blumfield - I can see why Essendon gave him up. Yes he's had his injuries but he would be back to full fitness now. Yesterdays game showed that he is ineffective, soft and quite slow. Early to tell and will need a full pre-season but I'm not holding my breath. I get more excited about the McGrath's of this world.

Nicholls - is injury prone, overweight, slow, poor decision making etc. Will not be a player. What were they thinking giving up a draft pick in the 40's.

Fleming - where do I start. When God was handing out football brains Fleming was obviously left out. Yeah he goes in hard and all that but most times he gives away free kicks. Is slow, and no skills. It is embarrassing watching him in the yellow and black.

Schulz - looks OK - early days

Sipthorp - haven't seen him play.

Overall another wasted year of recruiting which will see us go further behind the pack in future years as none of these guys (probably besides schulz) would become our core leadership group in the future. Beck and Frawely need to be held accountable for this years and many other failed recruiting.

Harry, you left out Schulz.

I think he has showed in the last couple of weeks that he will be a good player long term. However, like Marty showed yesterday, there are going to be good days and bad days. I think it is importnat we all be prepared for that - he has just turned 18

Sipthorp - has struggled this year I think more with trying to finish VCE and combining AFL footy and some injuries too. Would expect him to show alot more next year.

Fleming - agree with the skill assessment Harry, but I would still rather have him having a dip (take out the discipline stuff for a minute) rather a couple of others.

Blumfield - the injury he had was very serious. Muscle ripping off the bone. It has been well documented that the muscle strength in the leg that was injured will taake a while to return. Fit to play? Yes - 100% match fit to run out 120 minutes of a game - No. I think he deserves another season.

Johnson - I think we will have to agree to disagree Harry ;)

I'll try to keep this nice.

Johnson - Simply hasn't delivered when we needed him. Its a big indictment on Johnson that at a 21 yo 3rd year player in Coughlan is showing the way in the midfield. Needs to lift his act and provide some leadership in big games.

Blumfield - This doesn't look good. He's had injuries but was suspect even at Essendon. Needs to get fit and have real crack next year or look out.

Fleming - Its obvious that Fleming is having a go but we really need to stop recruiting these type of players. Quite simply he has no future and is only taking a spot that another more talented youngster could have.

Nicholls - There is a good case building to delist him at the end of the year. He is obviously carrying to much weight for and AFL footballer and just hasn't shown enough to persist with. Another player with no long term future.

Schulz - we'll give him another season ;D

Sipthorp - Bad sign he couldn't crack it for a game with Coburg. Rules say he gets another year.

Overall I'd say we haven't improved our list with last years recruits. Its time to stop recruiting mature players and draft kids. The kids are our future.

With all due respect, people are being a bit harsh on Johnson. If he and Coughlan had a bit more help in the midfield we would be alot better off. I'd like see Newman play the rest of the year in the midfield and try someone like Hyde down back. CARN THE TIGES!!!!

I've said it once and I'll say it again Johnson was the 4 th string onballer at the crows and was injury prone has suffered a lot of soft tissue injuries not worth the pick in the draft they gave up. Can't shake a tag

Johnson has been a good pick up he's averaging 21 possesions a game which is quite good. Coughlan is averaging 22.7. Johnson got 9 brownlow votes last year, not bad for a fourth stringer.

CARN THE TIGES!!!!

9 brownlow votes in a good side when your a 4th stringer doesn't mean much as he was the one running around all day without a tagger

It's strange that he's getting the same amount of possesions with the Tigers each week while getting tagged as he got with the crows last year, when he was apparently just running around doing as he liked.

CARN THE TIGES!!!!

A Furious view Johnson vs Coughlan in big games:

Rnd 1 Coll - 16 disp
Rnd 6 PA - 13 disp
Rnd 7 Ess - 30 disp
Rnd 9 WC - 24 disp
Rnd 10 Syd - 12 disp
Rnd 11 KA - 17 disp
Rnd 13 BL - 16 disp
Rnd 14 AD - 15 disp

Average 17.8

And compare that to 21yo Coughlan

Rnd 1 Coll - 21 disp
Rnd 6 PA - 21 disp
Rnd 7 Ess - 29 disp
Rnd 10 Syd - 18disp
Rnd 11 KA - 15 disp
Rnd 12 CA - 23 disp
Rnd 13 BL - 20 disp
Rnd 14 AD - 24 disp

Average 21.3

Am happy with Kane and look forward to a good year from him next season. It must be hard for him coming from a crack attacking midfield to having to learn our scrappy negating play.

He's shown he's tough and willing to get in and do the hard stuff.

Have any of the young guys we could have got ahead of him done any better?

Will they be dominating midfields in 5 years time?

Too many intangibles and time will tell, but I'm happy with Kane. I actually wonder how Cogs would have come along this season if he didn't have Kane there sharing the midfield load.

Kane mightn't be 18, but he's not exactly over the hill either. I think having his experience and endevour will benefit any young guys we get to the club in the future.

Yeah Coughlan is probably the best recruit that we have had in the last 15 years. I'm glad that you're happy with him.

Goddard was picked up at #1-Jury is still out as far as I'm concerned.

Wells#2 Looks like a likely type, he's a good tackler as we all know. But is not a in and under player that we need.

Brennan#3 Has had big raps on him early in the year, jury is still out.

With another couple of quality players in the midfield to help Johnson and Coughlan we will be on the right track.

Lets just hope Couglan stays at Richmond.

Hopefully Richmond will have the money to keep him at the end of next year.

Should be captain it he wants it.

Kane has played most of this year with a dicky hammy. He was finally given a rest a few weeks back and returned to dominate against the dogs.

Versus Freo yesterday, he was in everything during the first 10 minutes then was moved to full foward for some reason. Freo got on top at this point. All the same he was very good.

His skills aren't 'silky', but serviceable - but he's HARD AT IT! so i'm a bit of a Kane Johnson fan.

On the flip side, he's always had dicky hammys, and the fact that we could have picked up either Powell from Melbourne or Bolton from the Lions without loosing Torney and the no. 2 draft pick. Craig Bolton is hard, skilled and would have cost us nothing to pick up. What's more he gave us a nice old touch up when we met the Swans.

But I guess everything is easy with hindsight, but considering the cost - Torney and no. 2 pick in the draft, along with exposed form of Bolton and Powell, it wouldn't have been the decision i would have made!

But having said that, i think Johnson will give us some great service.

frickenel said:
But I guess everything is easy with hindsight, but considering the cost - Torney and no. 2 pick in the draft

It's playing dirty pool claiming we had the number 2 pick. The club has said if we had the #2 pick things might have been done differently, but they couldn't second guess what the AFL were going to do in case it didn't happen.

They had to deal with facts and and the fact is we traded #4 pick not #2.

Its got me beat that anyone can BAG Kane Johnson.
He HAS played with injuries for most games and that a fact.
He couldnt do his boots up at half time in the game at the GABBA and thats a fact.
He gives 100 per cent and IS proud to wear the yellow and black.
Not like the Bowdens and Fioras of this world who cant and wont win a hard ball.
Next time you all watch a game, have a look who is on the bottom of a pack, its either Coghlan or Johnson.

rosy3 said:
It must be hard for him coming from a crack attacking midfield to having to learn our scrappy negating play.

He's shown he's tough and willing to get in and do the hard stuff.

I actually wonder how Cogs would have come along this season if he didn't have Kane there sharing the midfield load.

Kane mightn't be 18, but he's not exactly over the hill either. I think having his experience and endevour will benefit any young guys we get to the club in the future.

Agree with all of that rosy.

If Kane wasn't there and with Cambo injured for most of the past 12 weeks all the attention from opposition clubs would be targeted solely at Cogs hampering his development. Remember it's his first year with a new group of teammates (a less skilled one overall too :( ).

The problem with our midfield is that after Cogs, Johnno and Cambo there is bugger all anyone else willing to put their head over the ball in contests, take the punishment and win the hard footy. If you're playing with passengers/duds it doesn't matter how good you are. You won't win too many games of footy with a handful of good players.

We need more of their ilk not less ???.

Whoa! Talk about slam dunking the new recruits, lets take a deep breath and get real for a couple of seconds. Just about any one going around will tell you experienced recruits will usually take a season to fully pick up the game plan and playing style of their new team. Cane toad has been a more than solid contributor to our midfield consistent and hard at it and as he is a known player gets first hit from opposition thank christ weve had him with Cambo out.Blummers will be fine once he gets fully recovered from that muscle tear. Flemwad may not be real flash but sometimes you need someone to rip in and unsettle the opposition ( don't use him to try and tag a Voss or Buckley he aint that good). Why in hell have a crack at Shultz? he's 18 and been here 5 minutes had a run in a couple of games and done nothing wrong. Don't know much about Sipthorp haven't seen him play is he off some other clubs list or a junior?

Kane is ok by me. Someone said his skills aren't silky??? They must be watching a different Johnno to me... Having Kane in the team doubles our skill levels. He moves brilliantly and can hit a 20 cent piece from 50 metres. It's true, when you are running with roo and mcleod you are going to get the third best opposition midfielder whilst here he is up against the best in the opposition. He looks good enough to me. I liked Torney but Kane is at another level. Torney is getting dropped and benched all the time in Adelaide. He got 10 minutes of game time against us.

I agree with Rosy. Cogs probably wouldn't be having such a stellar year if Johnson wasn't in there with him.

I hope that Cogs doesn't have a couple of quiet games, or plays with a niggle or 2, because they will be baying for his blood too.

CARN THE TIGES!!!!