Who are you most likely to vote for? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Who are you most likely to vote for?

Which candidate would you prefer to have on the board?

• David Clayton

Votes: 15 100.0%
  • Jim Giannopoulis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stuart Lawrence

• John Matthies

• Jason Verstak

• Kent Winzer

• Gary March/Peter Welsh

• Tony Jewell

• Total voters

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Firstly apologies to Gary and Peter, I was one spot short. If their combined vote is one of the highest scorers I'll do a new poll giving them their own space each.

I'd like to also have had a spot with a "don't intend to vote" option, but instead will do a separate poll for that.

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
OK, I'll hit-off first.

At this very moment I am tending toward David Clayton. Also in the mix is John Matthies and Jim Giannopoulos.

I reluctantly weeded out Verstak, loved his passion but bit thin on the ground with his wish list. Similarly, I was tempted to give Gary March a chance as he had only 18 months in office before this upcoming AGM, and I don't expect anyone to make a drastic overnight change to the way RFC is run.

Of the 9 nominees, I immediately discarded both Jewell and Whatisname, neither having had the courtesy to introduce themselves to the members.

On the basis of the above, I would vote for Clayton, Matthies & Giannopoulis (wonder what dear old JD would say about Jim's name?)

Yep, that's right, I've gone for a clean sweep, new broom, out with the old . . .

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
Geez, I just had a Senior's moment then, couldn't think of Kent Winzer's name and couldn't work out how to get back and look at the contenders without losing what I had written.

Don'tcha just hate those moments!

And don't worry, kiddies (this is to those who are laughing at my failing memory) it will come to you all some day . . . maybe quicker than Richmond's next premiership if the last 20-odd years are anything to go by!

mumbles

Born in ther year of the Tiger
Oct 7, 2003
To be honest as a new member I don't have a clue
??? ??? 8) ??? ???

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
Ok, here I go again. Ballot papers arrived today, so Spot the Cat and I pawed through all the paperwork and still came up with the same 3 names as in my earlier post.

Here, I must pause, and apologise to Jim for spelling his name incorrectly . . . ah,well, practice makes perfect.

I urge anyone who is voting (AND WE ALL SHOULD VOTE!) to go to the website www.rfc-election.tk. This has site been set up by David Clayton for this election. There is much more on it than on his flyer (and he was the only one who filled both sides of the paper!), and I feel he has gone to considerable trouble to present his case.

If I needed any further incentive to cast a vote in his favour, he got through to me on the promise to provide free Level 1 seats at the Dockland for RFC members over 55 - yay!

John Matthies impressed with his qualifications. He made one or two points that struck a bell with me:

Interestingly all of Richmond's ten premierships have been achieved whilst coached by people with a Richmond Football Club background.

I had never seen our ten successes in the same light before. Matthies goes on with:

It is also of interest that two of the most successful Victorian based clubs, Essendon and Collingwood, employ a number of former Richmond personnel who not only experienced success at our club but have achieved considerable further success at Essendon and Collingwood.

Of course he is referring to Sheedy, Malthouse, Judkins and Balme.

And as for Jim Giannopoulos - he makes some good points and, heck, I just like the guy!

So that's the three I am voting for - Clayton, Matthies and Giannopoulos. As I said, a clean sweep.

Oh, the accompanying letter from PricewaterhouseCoopers disclosed that:

The Constitution gives candidates the opportunity to enclose one A4 page with the ballot papers to outline their election platform to members. Enclosed are the election platforms for those candidates who accepted this opportunity.

Seems Messrs Jewell and Winzer couldn't be bothered/or are illiterate. Either way, I return their disdain!

And don't forget to sign the ballot paper.

om21

Original Melbourne 21
Oct 7, 2003
Werribee
www.original21.com
I aint the only one who thinks like that then....phew.....what roar highlighted above was exactly what caught my eye from mathies and immediately deserved a tick next to his name.

What I think our board needs is a mix of business people and a mix of football people. In saying that, I totally contradict myself as I select:

Mathies, Clayton, Giannopoulos.

These are not final as I havent put them in yet, although this is the way I am leaning at this stage.

Walster

I am Walstero the most beautiful man in the world
Aug 13, 2003
Quote:
Interestingly all of Richmond's ten premierships have been achieved whilst coached by people with a Richmond Football Club background.

Funny I was always under the impression that Dan Minogue came from Collingwood.

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
Correct Wal, but don't overlook the fact that between his 5 years at Collingwood & his arrival at Richmond, he served 3 years in the AIF and then stood out of footy for 12 months, arriving at Richmond in 1920. By that time he would have well and truly lost all his tail feathers!

He must have had something going for him because he was captain-coach in that year - which was also not only our 1st VFL premiership but the 1st of our back-to backs.

In a modern-day comparison, it would be like Nafan standing out of footy for 12 months and crossing to Richmond and leading us to . . . nah, I can't go on with that scenario. Nafan in black and yellow? phutttt!

DC8

Eat 'em alive
Nov 21, 2003
Hey Roar,

Your knowledge of RFC history is second to none (sorry Rhett).

Glad you now have your ballot paper and I agree that people MUST vote. Even if people vote for the three incumbents just VOTE. If nothing else it will send a message to the powers that be that the members know their rights and are prepared to exercise them.

As for me, still haven't made up my mind...hmmmm?!!

Disppointing that none of the candidates appear to have posted here yet. In the end, it's the undecideds who will determine the outcome.

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
DC, my facts come out of books! There is a very excellent one called "The Tigers of Old" available through RFC for about $20.

It is a history of every Richmond player between 1908-1996. Best buy I ever made.

As for voting, I urge everyone to get their ballot papers in as closing date is Jan 23 - THAT'S THIS COMING FRIDAY. (sorry to shout but I think it's important.)

I think if I were standing I would be very cautious about coming on a web site like PRE. Some people see us as to the right of feral!

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
A note to those people who have still not received their ballot forms.
Apparently if they can be faxed in.
So if you are worried about Aus Post's ability to deliver something as important as this, then just fax them in. ;)

Also.... If you were a member last year but have not yet signed up for this year (as far as I am aware) you are still eligible to vote in the upcoming election.
However I may ne wrong on that. Hopefully someone who knows for sure can confirm this.

Omarkum

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 19, 2003
I think David Clayton is a must. I reckon he sounds pretty down to earth and his thoughts on the lack of transparency from the current board are just what we have been moaning about. I also think Rhett Bartlett's point about Casey's giving no air time to non incumbents is an alarm bell in and of itself. We should definetly put at least two new comer's into office. I am undecided as yet between Mathies and Giannopolous.

Walster

I am Walstero the most beautiful man in the world
Aug 13, 2003
Well my votes have just been sent off
1. John Mathies...seemed professional and at least showed that he had some of the answers.
2. David Clayton....if he puts as much effort into the job as his flyer we must be on a winner as well as he is willing to open up to supporters.
3. Gary March.....I just think he should be given more time he can hardly be judged yet I dont think
Nothing against Jewell or Welsh but I think they have had their time and need to make way for new blood.
As for the others a couple came close to getting my vote but others are not in the hunt.

dcstar

Once sane, always Richmond......
Nov 5, 2003
Melbourne
Crikey!, reading some of these I actually might have a chance (and put down that croc, Steve......).

And to "DC8", I usually haunt the "Tiger Talk" list and don't get here too often (Rosie does a pretty good job of keeping board list fresh and informative, by the look of it).

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
David Clayton said:
(Rosie does a pretty good job of keeping board list fresh and informative, by the look of it).

Haha flattery might win you a vote. ;D

Seriously, welcome to PRE David. :)

I appreciate you taking time to say gidday. We were hoping some of the candidates would be brave enough to face the firing squad, ha.

I've asked before and noone on here replied so would you mind telling me the role of the board if you drop by again please?

I feel we're all sick of the way things have been and think an injection of new blood is welcome but noone seems to understand the actual duties of the board and how it functions.

Thanks. :)

DC8

Eat 'em alive
Nov 21, 2003
Hi David and good on you for taking the time to post on PRE.

Whilst I didn't expect all the candidates would spend endless hours debating their policies etc on this site, I did think that anyone seeking the support of the members would take the time to try to ascertain what our views were. ;) And demonstrate that they were interested even if just by saying g'day. So congratulations David for having the decency to interact with those you are seeking to represent and good luck. ;D

jackstar

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 5, 2003
No one is worth voting for !
They have got there magic wande and going to fix things overnight, yeah, in your dreams.
Want to increase memberships, start winning a few games, you dont need a Uni degree or be a Managing Director to work that out DDDDDDDDDDDDD.
Western Bulldogs made the finals a few years ago with a poor list, no members, but played on heart, funny about that.
I really dont care who is on the board, what matters is on the field, have a bit of a crack out on the ground and you will amazed how things will change
Take North Melbourne for instance, they have a bit of a crack, they dont go through the BULLLSHIT we go through with elections and challenges to presidency etc.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
The Dogs and Roos that you use as your example are the two Victorian clubs who are most likely to struggle for existance in the AFL jackstar.

You need onfield success, you need memberships and you need sponsorship.

They are all ingredients of a successful club.

Hopefully a good board would play a part in helping those things eventuate.

sgloury

Tiger Superstar
Aug 9, 2003
Melbourne
jackstar said:
No one is worth voting for !
They have got there magic wande and going to fix things overnight, yeah, in your dreams.
Want to increase memberships, start winning a few games, you dont need a Uni degree or be a Managing Director to work that out DDDDDDDDDDDDD.
Western Bulldogs made the finals a few years ago with a poor list, no members, but played on heart, funny about that.
I really dont care who is on the board, what matters is on the field, have a bit of a crack out on the ground and you will amazed how things will change

I disagree with you Jackstar. Having the right people on the Board is very important and should not be underestimated. These are the people that ultimately have responsibility for running our club and getting the right personnel on board so that our club can be successful.

Have a look at Collingwoods resurgence and tell me why they have been able to turn themselves around over the past four years? Answer - very good President and Board who have been able to source the right people to be in charge of their Club eg Coach, recruiting staff etc etc.

We need the right mix of people in charge of Richmond so that they can make the right decisions and return our club to the top of the AFL Tree.

Incidentally I voted for David Clayton, John Mathies and Gary March. I was impressed by the skill sets of these candidates and the passion that they showed for the RFC. I am a little concerned that under my vote, no former players are on the Board. However Woosher Welsh and Colonel Sanders have been on the Board for donkeys years and have had ample opportunity to turn things around IMO.

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
Well put, Young Tiger, some very good points in your post.

Thanks for coming on PRE, David - and good luck!

TD, about being eligible to vote in this election - it would be in the Constitution. Come to think of it, was there some lead to it, or the Articles, in David Clayton's website?

Anyhow, it would be worth a try for anyone not signed up for 2004 to send off their ballot papers anyway.