Who goes from Tigerland? (HeraldSun) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Who goes from Tigerland? (HeraldSun)

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Who goes from Tigerland?
11 August 2003 AFL

RICHMOND has been immovable on two delicate issues during its troubles: Danny Frawley and Matthew Richardson are staying put.

The strategy is understandable, too. At Richmond, the coach always is the easy first casualty, while Richo simply is too valuable as a marketing tool.

The Tigers now have some serious contemplation ahead of them on both fronts after perhaps the worst of their 12 losses for the year at Telstra Dome on Saturday night.

Defeats of the magnitude of 80 points rarely, if ever, are acceptable.

They are intolerable when inflicted by a team sitting immediately above it on the ladder in 11th place, a team that hasn't been in the eight any time this year, one Richmond accounted for with 26 points to spare first time round this year and at the same place.

If Richmond loses to Essendon, Port Adelaide and Hawthorn in its remaining three games, it will have won one of its last 14 games of the year.

Coming on top of seven wins in 2002, that would mean 14 wins from 44 games after reaching the preliminary final round in 2001.

In economic terms, it's a dismal price-earnings ratio, one that will unsettle the shareholders.

Frawley and his assistants, and the administration, were saved embarrassment on Saturday night by the respect of everyone at the stadium for the retiring Nathan Burke.

The Tiger faithful isn't always known for its grace under pressure, yet there was a heart-warming element of black and yellow in the emotional farewell for the veteran Saint.

All branches of the Richmond family conducted themselves with dignity; few can say they did so during the two hours beforehand.

St Kilda coach Grant Thomas was ridiculed and rebuked when he said after Round 4 he was upset by the loss to Richmond because his Saints were a superior team.

I was one of his critics. I thought it inopportune and ungracious. Thomas, though, has been vindicated in essence.

This Richmond group either will bring the coach down or will have to be savagely pruned between seasons. Big names included.

Richo's roller-coaster ride through his career continues. After two good weeks in a redefined role, his old habits resurfaced Saturday night.

He was unaccountable and his second efforts, so good against the Western Bulldogs two weeks earlier, were non-existent. He had just 10 possessions and took five marks.

The grapevine has it that the idea of trading him no longer is out of the question at board level.

As for the coach, director of football Greg Miller and chairman Clinton Casey both will have to back away from unequivocal support for Frawley if change is to occur.

Injuries have hurt the Tigers this year. Wayne Campbell has played nine games, Darren Gaspar 11, Brad Ottens eight, Ben Holland six, Justin Blumfield eight.

Yet Hawthorn has had an even worse run and continues to box on.

The Richmond game plan continues to confuse observers. How does a team have more of the ball yet lose by 80 points? Richmond had 311 possessions Saturday night, St Kilda 307. That defies logic.

The solitary positive from the game was the form of Ottens, who had 15 possessions, took nine marks and kicked two goals.

Kane Johnson was strong yet again while Mark Chaffey, Greg Tivendale and Chris Newman continued to build on solid seasons. That's it.

The question that demands an answer is this: where is this football team headed?

St Kilda knows where it's going, and that's up. Richmond is going backwards at a time the coach once predicted would show a solid ascent towards a premiership.

The next three weeks are critically important to the coach and to the bulk of his player list. The current combination isn't bearing fruit.

nwonash

Tiger Champion
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne
rosy3 said:
The Richmond game plan continues to confuse observers. How does a team have more of the ball yet lose by 80 points? Richmond had 311 possessions Saturday night, St Kilda 307. That defies logic.
It's quite simple. Richmond stuffed around with the ball, went sideways and backways which gained nothing at all. Why didnt they go straight up the middle of ground like St Kilda did ? St Kilda always seemed to have lose men all night. When Richmond players had the ball, they waited too long and allowed St Kilda to man up, then once St Kilda had the ball, Richmond players refused to keep with their player and bang, another goal to St Kilda. Players tended to kick to a two-three on one contest too often.
I hope that Frawley grills the players and this doesnt happen against Essendon. He should train them into the ground for the entire week.
A mate of mine played for Sydney, when they lost by a big margin, Buckanara would get them to crawl up hill on a grave road.
Frawley should have the entire team go on an army training course and teach the players the meaning of discipline and team work.

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
This is the closest that anybody in the media has come to actually speaking the truth, and that is that Frawley cannot coach.

Not just his overall inability to coach, but his game plan is all over the place, he seems incapable of getting anywhere near the best out of the players (in fact I think he has lost the players), his development of the younger players is terrible.

"This Richmond group either will bring the coach down or will have to be savagely pruned between seasons. Big names included."

Lets hope that both happen, for we know that the list will be cleaned out. For the sake of the future especially 2004, we can't afford to waste another year of this terrible brand of football that we witness week in week out.

14 out of 44 - name me one organisation in the world where the coach would survive this sort of disgrace..none

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
rosy3 said:
Who goes from Tigerland?
11 August 2003 AFL

The grapevine has it that the idea of trading Richo no longer is out of the question at board level.

As for the coach, director of football Greg Miller and chairman Clinton Casey both will have to back away from unequivocal support for Frawley if change is to occur.

This is the best thing I've heard all year.

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
You guys talk amongst yourselves until I get back. Where am I going? Off to the AGM of a local organisation. We know how to lop off a few heads up here at Castlemaine!!! No mucking around with us! Watch out Spud, I might send RFC my game plan for you! :mad:

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
"This Richmond group either will bring the coach down or will have to be savagely pruned between seasons. Big names included."

If it's an "OR" then we'll either end up with a new coach but the same dud players OR a new group of kids coached (and I use that term loosely) by the same poor coach.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Well done Sheahan, obviously someone's been sniffing around PRE.

I was wondering why knowone in the media was asking the tough questions of Frawley and Richmond but finally it might start happening.

Especially like the part where he asked what direction the team is headed. I doubt anyone at tigerland could give a decent answer to this question and thats where the problem lies.

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
Is that all any of you have to say in my absence. There I was sitting in a draughty hall, being forced to eat soggy sandwiches & sip cold tea & dreaming of all the witticisms I would find on my return to this site, but what a disappointment...oh well, I'm off to bed now. Perhaps, I'll dream up a master plan to cover RFC for the next 5 years. At least I will have as much opportunity to dream up something on a belly full of soggy sangers as the Richmond brains trust does in their lofty towers. ???

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
Is that all any of you have to say in my absence. There I was sitting in a draughty hall, being forced to eat soggy sandwiches & sip cold tea & dreaming of all the witticisms I would find on my return to this site, but what a disappointment...oh well, I'm off to bed now. Perhaps, I'll dream up a master plan to cover RFC for the next 5 years. At least I will have as much opportunity to dream up something on a belly full of soggy sangers as the Richmond brains trust does in their lofty towers. ???