Who would you pick at No 9? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Who would you pick at No 9?

Dear Santa, for Christmas, I want

• Brody Grundy

Votes: 54 50.0%
  • Nick Vlastuin

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • Taylor Garner

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Jon O'Rourke

Votes: 22 20.4%
  • Other

Votes: 20 18.5%

• Total voters
bullus_hit said:
Ultimately he should be seen as Maric's heir apparent, not some surplus requirement who's sole purpose is to force other players out of the side.

The question then becomes whether our strategy will be to nab mature rucks as free agents rather than waiting 6 years on a junior ruck to mature.

Does anyone feel like me that we are going to completely fluff this first pick ?

My feeling is we are set on someone ie Garner which most believe is a pick 15+ and someone like Wines/McCrae/Grundy/Mayes/Menzel is available and we don't pick them and they tear it up. I suppose that's my fear with Vlas as well is that he is a foot soldier when we could pass on elite.

Right I have just changed my mind for the umpteenth time LONERGAN it is what a gem.

I wonder which of the top 5 to 10 guns is going to be a dud.

If Wines is available we will snap him up and do cartwheels as we read out his name. Unfortunately, I just don't think there is any chance he will slip through to pick 9.

FJ seems to play it pretty conservatively with the first pick so don’t expect us to draft a match winner here. If the past 2 years are anything to go by expect us to draft a dour foot soldier, nothing flashy, nothing special, just a hard worker.

Nothing wrong with this philosophy provided you are convinced we have enough match winners on the list already to win a flag.

bullus_hit said:
First of all, Vickery is perfectly capable of playing as a forward, at his best he's a 40+ goal a season player. He played as a forward in the u/18 carnival and at TAC level and he's not looked out of place as an accomplished AFL forward, in fact I recall Emma Quayle's assessment of Vickery as being even money to be a key forward. In light of all that, I can't see how you could pigeon hole him as a ruckman, particularly when he's just undergone a shoulder reconstruction.

If Vickery, Elton, Griffiths and Astbury are all competeing for the same spot, then that's a healthy sign of the state of our list I would have thought. I wouldn't be rushing Grundy into the frame prematurely in any case, he'd been see as insurance in his first season and even beyond that. Ultimately he should be seen as Maric's heir apparent, not some surplus requirement who's sole purpose is to force other players out of the side.

and the reality is when you consider development times and the short careers AFL rucks have we should be considering drafting Maric's replacement in this draft.

There's a pic of Dayle Garlett on Boof Footy with a can of what looks like bourbon and coke in one hand and a cancer stick in the other. It's ummmm, not a good look.

ToraToraTora said:
There's a pic of Dayle Garlett on Boof Footy with a can of what looks like bourbon and coke in one hand and a cancer stick in the other. It's ummmm, not a good look.

West Coast at it again.

I would be amazed that clubs would make decisions on internet rumours rather than getting the facts themselves. For the top picks they will talk to teachers, coaches, etc to find out what they are like.

Tony Braxton-Hicks said:
The question then becomes whether our strategy will be to nab mature rucks as free agents rather than waiting 6 years on a junior ruck to mature.

Grundy won't take 6 years, 3 would be more accurate. As for free agency, 18 clubs and only a handful of ruckman, I think that spells trouble for some.

Brodders17 said:
making prospective draftees smoke and drink?
to ensure they fit in at the club?

west coast are the biggest cheats - bigger than carlton. they've rorted the system for years - from drug taking to tanking to draft tampering. odds on they'd have numerous 3rd party deals under the table. no wonder chimps dad didn't want his son to go there. fair chance they told him to play up a bit and have a few photo's with a ciggy and a can. they will do anything to win a flag.

bullus_hit said:
If he lands at West Coast I will have nothing but admiration for their anti-PR campaign.

Maybe we can get Whitfield or Menzel to join an online bondage club or something for a week.

bullus_hit said:
First of all, Vickery is perfectly capable of playing as a forward, at his best he's a 40+ goal a season player. He played as a forward in the u/18 carnival and at TAC level and he's not looked out of place as an accomplished AFL forward, in fact I recall Emma Quayle's assessment of Vickery as being even money to be a key forward. In light of all that, I can't see how you could pigeon hole him as a ruckman, particularly when he's just undergone a shoulder reconstruction.

Wow, this thread is going to go close to setting a record for putting words in my mouth. Pigeon hole Vickery as a ruck? Pretty sure I have been calling him a ruck forward all the way through. I think pigeon hole would be more appropriate for those who want Tyrone to just play as a forward.

I didn't see any TAC cup in Vickerys year, so I will have to defer to you on that, but my abiding memory of the U18s was Vickery going head to head in the ruck against Nic Nat, so to say he was mainly a forward as a junior is a bit of a stretch.

Anyway, regardless of what we think, it looks like the club see him as a ruck forward so it's a moot point.

linuscambridge said:
Wow, this thread is going to go close to setting a record for putting words in my mouth. Pigeon hole Vickery as a ruck? Pretty sure I have been calling him a ruck forward all the way through. I think pigeon hole would be more appropriate for those who want Tyrone to just play as a forward.

I didn't see any TAC cup in Vickerys year, so I will have to defer to you on that, but my abiding memory of the U18s was Vickery going head to head in the ruck against Nic Nat, so to say he was mainly a forward as a junior is a bit of a stretch.

Anyway, regardless of what we think, it looks like the club see him as a ruck forward so it's a moot point.

Now who's putting words into who's mouth? Mainly a forward? Where have I suggested that?

And nobody's pigeon holeing Vickery, merely suggesting he could easily play as fulltime forward, something which you clearly don't want to acknowledge.

Keep it friendly. :)

interesting (hypothetical) debate though whether we could play Maric, TV and Grundy all in the one team. I havent seen Grundy play so i will have to defer to those that have, but to me if he is, or will be, as good up forward as TV then they could all fit. if on the other hand he would play forward like say a David Hille or Jon Giles- as in couple of kicking a few goals, taking a few marks but not a true forward- then they wouldnt all play together.