Why isn't ABC radio covering the Tigers v Eagles game? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Why isn't ABC radio covering the Tigers v Eagles game?

wagstaff

Tiger Cub
Mar 10, 2003
Melbourne
While I'm disappointed with the lack of coverage given to the Tigers v Eagles for those not having access to Foxtel, I'm particularly disappointed with ABC radio in Melbourne not covering this game.

Supposedly, the ABC, as a govt-funded organisation, are not in the position of chasing after ratings but offering an alternative service to the commercial broadcasters. If that is the case, why aren't they providing an alternative service to Richmond fans who want to listen to the game on Saturday night?

Triple MMM and 3AW (and Ch. 10) are already covering the Pies v Saints game; what is the point of the ABC covering the game as well? Even as a purely ratings driven move it doesn't make sense as they are competing against TV and the other stations for the same potential set of supporters, when they could have the wide array of non-Foxtel Richmond supporters in Melbourne all to themselves.

And it is hardly unprecedented for the ABC to give preference to an interstate match as opposed to a match in Victoria. Just last week they decided to broadcast the Swans v Cats match from the SCG instead of the Blues v Dogs match.

If the ABC aren't there to provide an alternative in the field of footy broadcasting, then there's little point in them broadcasting football anymore - the other commercial networks and TV can provide ample coverage of the matches spread out over the weekend.

All in all, a poor show from the ABC.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
It's extremely disappointing there will be no coverage of one game while several avenues will cover the other game.

It might be worth contacting the ABC with messages of protest over this, in the hope they might be more considerate in future.

My other beef is the crappy, money hungry AFL /Telstra site banning free broadcast on the net. When there is no other free to air option available to footy fans surely they should relax that rule for a night at least.

antigravity

I'm a llama!
Mar 29, 2003
I thought the ABC was covering the game. On the RFC website it says that they are...

Oh well either way I won't be able to see the game as I have a life, but still it pisses me off that no-one wants to cover an interstate match between 2nd and 3rd placed teams.. Thats *smile*.