Windows 8 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Windows 8

Are they still making lap tops.

Are Mac Books still the buzz item these days.

I still using my trusty ol Desk PC, no i pad no tablet, no Air Book , no lap top, no need for the rest of that stuff im more than happy to leave technology at home my i phone is more than enough for me to deal with

I bought my Windows 8 computer last Easter and hated it so much I've kept it hidden away and continued to use my poor old faithful. Unfortunately old faithful died today so I was forced to get the new computer out of mothballs. I've just downloaded a program that seems to be brilliant. Just thoguht I'd pass on details in case it helps anyone else live better with Windows 8.

The program is called Stardock Start8. I have it on a free 30 day trial then will pay the $5 to keep it. It brings back the features I missed from Windows 7. The main ones I can think of are the addition of a start menu button, the task bar at the bottom remaining visible at all times and the ability to minimise and maximise screens. It doesn't appear to have affected the function of the touch screen either. All of a sudden I'm loving this new computer. It's made it far more user friendly and I can now enjoy using Chrome without feeling I'm being forced into using Explorer.

Now to find a technician who can retrieve some info from my dearly departed laptop. :help

For the record, I still use XP, which probably explains why I don't see a lot of the pictures people post on PRE, and see naked women when I read stories about Matt Dea on the RFC website.

Which on the latter point makes XP worthwhile keeping IMO.

rosy23 said:
I've just downloaded a program that seems to be brilliant. Just thoguht I'd pass on details in case it helps anyone else live better with Windows 8.

The program is called Stardock Start8.

Haha, I was forced to purchase this as well. Bring on Windows 9.

If you download Windows 8.1 (read: "Windows 8 Service Pack 1") you may be able to do without Start8. Haven't used Windows 8 enough since downloading to be sure.

Thanks Lee2. I wasn't aware of the update. Downloading it at the moment. This new computer has sat on the bench unused for months with any thoughts of "Windows 8" banished from my mind.