Yesterdays Game. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Yesterdays Game.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
It was a very, very windy day, which didn't make it much of a spectacle.
Schulz looks very promising. He moves, marks and kicks well, and more importantly looks like he might have a few footy smarts about him. It would of been nice for him to get more game time.

Our defence was very good again.There was a couple of undisciplined things in the last 1/4 but I can live with that as they were having a real go. There is a very good nucleus there. With Gaspar back and another tall, perhaps Schulz, we have got a very good defence.

Bowden started the match on the half back line on Pavlich. He is definately not a back man, he gave him too much room. although Pavlich didn't really exploit it too much.
It's hard to say, But Bowden was probably going to line up on him no matter where he played.
I would really like to see Bowden played up forward, especially at fullforward. He has got good pace, is a good overhead mark, and is good at a set shot on goal. And the silly mistakes that he makes are not likely to hurt us as much if he is on the fullforward line.
He sure is a frustrating player, but he has heaps of ability, and i reckon that he is being played out of position.

Our forward set up was different, they played a lot of the match in a huddle near the goal square. When we were moving the ball forward, half the time we didn't have an option to kick to as they were too far away.
Bowden or Schulz as leading options with Holland in the goal square would of been a better set up.
Headland played most of the game on the half back line. I think they might of been trying to drag him back deep into our defence, but it just seemed to congest things. too much.
It would of been better on a big ground like Subiaco to have the smaller forwards a little further down the ground.

Coughlan and Johnson were both outstanding. Tivendale kicked some good goals, and his kicking errors when kicking out can be forgiven i guess as it was very windy. Richo and Ottens were both good. I like the idea of Richo playing up the ground, we now need a fast leading forward. Richo gets murdered by the umpires.

The hurt of another loss was helped a bit as I won a prize at the after match function raffle.

Fighting Fury

Tiger Army
Jul 17, 2003
Bowden...terrible for a team leader. Would be like a voss if only he could get more professional in his attitude. Would be winning less than 50% of his 1 on 1 contests which is not good enough. Cracks the sads playing back.

Richo...got the ball but did very little with it a lot of the time. Got too far up the ground and couldn't kick it to Dutchy. Much better in the play than at FF in my opinion.

Zantuck...solid, got grunt. Giving away the frees at the end just came from frustration. Medhurst is a little soft dog who never goes in for his own ball and was giving a mouthful to Zantuck all day. I'd keep Ty. He basically killed medhurst.

AK...love this guy. 110% every game

Dunc...love this guy too (if Knighter had to go, I would have put Dunc as captain) but hate to say that he might have had his day. Liability in the backline at the moment.

Holland...does anyone on the coaching panel remember that the reason he went to the backline was because he was crap in the forward line? did not get the ball delivered to him properly though and once it is not markable, he is hopeless. Will be much better down there with Staff back and either Staff or Brad rotating to forward line giving multiple marking options.

Flem...GOT to have a guy with mongrel in him.

Marty...bit different when not allowed the latitude that footscray gave him. Poor skills under pressure. Give him another year.
Krak looks better, probably because he has played more games. Too light though. Why do we persist in kicking high balls into contested marking situations to Marty, Krak and Rodan? Way way way too easy to defend and take the ball away. Kick it along the *smile* ground to these guys if you can't hit them on the chest. This is when they look dangerous, ball on the ground in the forward 50.

Ottens Cogs Sugar Kane all fantastic. Cogs is easily the best player we have blooded in 6-8 years. Just love how he goes in, not just in the first 10 mins (memo Bowden) but in the last 10 minutes of the last quarter.

Shocking umpiring...easily the worst game I've seen this year for umpiring. I knew it was bad over there (ie the Dogs game where they were crucified, Geelong game which nearly drew a fine-able comment from Bomber) but frees to Farmer, Medhurst, Bell, plus little things like Bell doing a Wayne Harmes in the forward pocket to get a crucial goal, at least 2 candy soft 50 m penalties which handed them goals, and our forwards not receiving anywhere near their fair share of umpiring decisions really helped freo. I think we played better than freo...they'll be out in straight sets, if they even make the finals.