Zanners | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Zanners

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
I think others have suggested it before, but what do people think about Zantuck as a permanent part of our midfield/forward rotation. He's not unlike Mark Ricciuto, in fact they have very similar bodies: Ricciuto is 183cm, 90 kg, Zanners is 186cm, 91 kgs. Not suggesting that Zantuck is necessarily that good, but he has the physique and mongrel in him to turn a few heads around the stoppages. He's also quite quick and strikes me as a good instinctive footballer, or at least his first thought is usually the right one. Disposal by foot is OK, in close is a question mark. Down back, his second, third and fiftieth thoughts are where he lets himself and the team down.
I think I recall reading that he played most of his junior footy in the midfield or as a forward. Given the right running program over preseason I reckon the time may be right for Zantuck the midfielder. Thoughts?

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
While this might be Ok, he has been an integral part of the back 6 for the last two years.
Robbing Peter to pay Paul can't be a wise choice long term, sure pinch hit him in the guts or up front occasionally as a shock tactic, but don't break up the defence, they've been the closest thing RFC has had to a stong suit for the last couple of seasons.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
My thoughts....certainly worth a try. I think we have too many one-positional players and it makes the team predictable imo.
Versatility is the key so we can chuck things around a bit when the need arises.

Go Tiges

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
I would definitely do it. He has served an apprenticeship (as Frawley calls it in the back line) and was a midfielder in the U18's. Would do him good and versatility is a must.
Backlines have Chaffey, Newman etc who can also paly a similar role in the midfield o noccasions without the body size of Zantuck.

All worth a go i say.

Tigerblood

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
Hawthorn used the shock tactic of throwing Ayers into the centre on occasions in the 80s, and it always worked a treat. It seemed to unsettle the opposition and rev up the Hawks. I've often thought that it would be a great move to do the same with Zanners.

I really think we should use Ty's versatility to play havoc with opposition gameplans - i.e. play him most of the time down back, but also play him as a marking forward and steam-train midfielder on occasions.

Tom_Hafey

Tiger Cub
Dec 17, 2002
I would love to see Zantuck in the mid field personally, to me he has the same potential build as Michael Voss.

In my opinion he should have already been playing there this year and i am bewildered to know why this hasn't already been done, all i can put it down to is a lack of confidence within the coaching ranks with the personel that would have to take over the backline duties if he were to be moved.

I think he is going to be a gun if he is ever put in there on a consistant basis. I tend to wonder sometimes if our coaching group have ever entertained the thought themselves, one would hope so, but then again maybe not.

tassiedave

Wingman of the future!
Aug 5, 2003
I agree. There is no reason he should be an "accepted backman" just because thats where he's played this year. Thats our problem, an unflexible list and an unflexible coaching panel thats not prepared to try things. He might be good in defence, but he might be better in attack. What have they got to lose, bugger all really, not as if we are contenders.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
I see can the benefits of having him in the mid-field. Number 1 he is a long kick but in the same breath he can also be a lacks kick. He showed that last week with his final shot at goal - 50+ metres in that weather was sensational.

Dean you mention that his 2nd, 3rd or 15th options let him down and I agree. That is one of the reason why I would be careful with putting him the mid-field permanantly. You look at a Cogs or Johnno and they ability to select the right option whether it be their 2nd or 3rd is first rate.

Throw him in the mid-field mix for shock value - absolutely. Hard at it and can hit bodies in a contest fairly and is solid, so rarely gets blown over by the opposition in the one on ones.

My preference is for him to be moved the half-back line, away from that last line of defence. We have had Chaffey running off the backline with long delivery. I think Ty could give us another option there - especially considering he is right footer

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
I agree - I would also like to see Chaffey and Newman in the middle - get our better players in the middle..........and then we won't need to rely so much on our defence.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
I think you make a good point Harry - there are a number of players who could go into the mid-field (Chaffey/Newman) it would mix up even more.

And even I reckon a bit variety at the Tigers with their match-ups would be a good thing

Fighting Fury

Tiger Army
Jul 17, 2003
Newman did play quite a bit in the centre in the last couple of games.

Agree re Zantuck. Plays with heart and passion. Doesn't drop his head if he stuffs up. Doesn't mind mixing it. Plays like his dad actually, and I think size-wise he is a little bit bigger.

I know he is small, but Krakouer deserves a go in the guts too. Let's see if he can find the ball when he doesn't have to rely on Richmond delivery off the back line. I cringe when I see them drop punt it to him and he has to try to outmark a taller opponent. They would be better dribbling it along the ground to him, where he is a better than 50/50 chance to beat most players.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Not a bad idea, if the ruckmen don't use their bodies to open up the contest and give our midfielders room to work why not use someone like Zanners to barge around in there a bit. would also like to see Krak in there as first receive from the in and under players.

JPM

Will Richmond ever be the one?
Sep 3, 2003
East Melbourne
"The first step toward success is taken when you refuse to be a captive of the environment in which you first find yourself." Mark Caine (Danny's replacement)

Zanners (and others) have been trapped in their original positions for too long, thanks to Danny Are you free to do some assistant work next year? Lets hope whoever coaches us next year has a mind as open as yours...

sgloury

Tiger Superstar
Aug 9, 2003
Melbourne
I think we are kidding ourselves if we think Zanners has the potential to develop into a topline midfielder.

Sure Ty
- has a go, -
- tries very hard,
- is probbaly the only player on our list that has any physical presence out on the field.
- has been one of only a few players to perform above expectations this year.

However, I do not think that he
- He has enough speed to consistently play in the midfield
- Has enough endurance to play in the midfield
- Has the required skills eg ball handling ability to play in the midfield. (looks awkward when he gets the ball and it seems to take him a long time to make a decision or to get the ball on his foot - both essential in the midfield).

I think that he could be of some limited use as a pinch hitter in this role on the odd occasion to break open a few packs and to create some physical presence in the middle of the ground. However I don't think he is the best option for a permanent midfield role.

I think that Mark Chaffey would be a much better option than Zantuck. I remember Chaffey was used as a midfielder in early 2001 and he was killing them in that role (he was even leading the 3AW Player of the year after 10 rounds in that year he was that dominant) but for some reason unknown to me, Frawley took him out of the midfield and has played him as a back pocket, half bank flanker ever since.

In a full strength Tigers line up, I think that Ty would be most valuable to the team as a backman shutting down the No 2 or No 3 Opposition Forward. To me he is more of a stopper rather than a creator of play.

In terms of midfield options, I think Coughlan, Johnson, Campbell, Rodan, Chaffey, Newman and Blumfield are better permanent options.

However who knows? Ty surprised me by kicking 5 goals against Port Adelaide (I still don't think he is a forward mind you). Perhaps in a Practice Match next year he should be given a couple of quarters in the midfield to see how he performs in the role

tassiedave

Wingman of the future!
Aug 5, 2003
Ty needs to get a couple of dozen Kangaroo's tapes over summer and watch the way Archer plays the game.Thats what we lack and he'd be ideal.