Matthew Richardson Tribute thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew Richardson Tribute thread

First game I ever saw Richo play live was in the 2nds early in his first season. It was at Princes Park.
He was like an unbroken colt but so exciting
First time for me was somewhere mid-1992 sitting at PRE, level 2A, munching on a sausage roll watching the 2nds play before the 1sts came on, and noticed this skinny tall kid dashing around the Ponsford end goals with a mate of mine saying that's Alan's son.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
1995 was a exciting and also disappointing year. Was in fantastic form. Sublime marking and look like he could kick 70-80 goals. Certainly was going to be his breakout season.

Then that *smile* face Dunkley from the swans pushed him into the fence.

1995 was a exciting and also disappointing year. Was in fantastic form. Sublime marking and look like he could kick 70-80 goals. Certainly was going to be his breakout season.

What could have been....

I always thought that having a fit Richo might have gotten us into the GF. Win or lose that and Northey doesn’t leave and who knows what 1996 might have been.
Same here. After watching our current success, I wonder if Richo thinks this too.

Watched the first 10 mins of the vid. Didn’t see one stoppage. And no recalled centre bounces either. How much better was it? Thanks for posting, and yes, wonderful to see the young Cho. I wonder if plugger would get a game these days with that physique!

Reactions: 2 users
I always thought that having a fit Richo might have gotten us into the GF. Win or lose that and Northey doesn’t leave and who knows what 1996 might have been.
No doubt. You need a dominating key forward and Richo was starting to do that and the opposition didn’t know how to stop him.
Finals would have been a lot different with him in it

Watched the first 10 mins of the vid. Didn’t see one stoppage. And no recalled centre bounces either. How much better was it? Thanks for posting, and yes, wonderful to see the young Cho. I wonder if plugger would get a game these days with that physique!
The AFL have over complicated footy so much that we have lost a lot of the essence of the game.

• Angry
Reactions: 6 users
No doubt. You need a dominating key forward and Richo was starting to do that and the opposition didn’t know how to stop him.
Finals would have been a lot different with him in it
He was phenomenal in his prime. I think he kicked 6 in his comeback game Rd 1 ‘96. I think it was against the Bombres, too. I remember a game against Carlton, and he’d gone on a rampage, so they sent Silvagni to him. First thing Richo does is go on a 100 metre sprint up the ground, dragging Steve with him, then we kick it into our forward line and Richo hammers back down the ground with a winded Silvagni dragging a long way behind.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
He was phenomenal in his prime. I think he kicked 6 in his comeback game Rd 1 ‘96. I think it was against the Bombres, too. I remember a game against Carlton, and he’d gone on a rampage, so they sent Silvagni to him. First thing Richo does is go on a 100 metre sprint up the ground, dragging Steve with him, then we kick it into our forward line and Richo hammers back down the ground with a winded Silvagni dragging a long way behind.
Kicked over 90 goals in 96, he must have worked his butt off in rehab, because I think he did his knee in the June of 95.

What a champion.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Wallace got alot of praise moving him to the wing but I reckon it ended his career sooner.
He wouldve destroyed it in this era.
If Curnow gets 70 goals Richo would double it. 10 times better

• Wow
Wallace got alot of praise moving him to the wing but I reckon it ended his career sooner.
But, nearly won a Brownlow for it. Just shows the tunnel vision these flogs have as they only look at the mids on field.

Reactions: 1 users
Kicked over 90 goals in 96, he must have worked his butt off in rehab, because I think he did his knee in the June of 95.

What a champion.
Round 9. He had kicked 27 (and something like 3 points i think) in the first 8 rounds. Rd 9 back then would have been late May/early June.

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe it did but what it did allow was a bloke called Jack Riewoldt to take over as the key forward target. I've heard that guy did ok for us as well.

When the Cho was in the forward line he demanded the ball and it was hard for a young fella like Jack to play beside him

just prior to the move to the wing people here and on BF and Y&B were screaming for him to be traded .., even delisted
people had enough of the goal kicking yips and the dummy spits

I had ventured down to Melb. with my youngest son for our annual Tigers Lions game
went to a training at Punt Rd , Richo was taking casual shots at goal from the 50 mtr arc
I counted 20 , no misses , all thru the middle , but he was relaxed

He started on the wing and it was the game were the Lions dominated and were 39 pts up late in the 3rd

Richo to full forward, kicks 3 , straightens up our attack and we win , the crowd of 35,000 lifted the roof

a Richo on fire was a thing of beauty

on the wing did it release some pressure and expectation ? who knows but it worked , the *smile* behaviour seemed to disappear

Reactions: 3 users

He kicked 27.3 before he did his knee.

And an incredible comeback the following year when he kicked 91 goals.