MCG Ticket allocation for Thurs night | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

MCG Ticket allocation for Thurs night

tigerjoe12

Tiger Superstar
Aug 24, 2006
Hi guys...does anyone know how purchasing reserved tickets at the MCG works?

I'm looking to get some of the basic $36 reserved seats but ticketek is currently showing seats either way back, or in bad bays...ie right behind the goals.

Do they sell them in blocks of bays...ie. once one sells out do they move over to the next one? In which case I should wait til they move over to the next one. Or do they sell them in rows...in which case I should just bite the bullet & grab them...any help would be appreciated. Should've been on this earlier...

Bought mine last week 2 tickets, front row top level Olympic stand
And there wasnt much too choose from. Olympic stand and southern stand top level near the end close to burton ave.
There was only 2 or 3 bays left.
But come Thursday night there will vacant seats everywhere.

Best case either buy over the phone or head to your local newsagent that has ticketek where you can look at the screen of available seatsin the ground

there is already a thread for this.

the information we were provided with is that GA tix would go on sale today... but i just had a play around on the ticketek website and i wasnt able to locate them... can anyone assist? i don't wanna fork out for a reserved seat and hand over money to that scum.

Ian4 said:

the information we were provided with is that GA tix would go on sale today... but i just had a play around on the ticketek website and i wasnt able to locate them... can anyone assist? i don't wanna fork out for a reserved seat and hand over money to that scum.

Fear not, young man. The two clubs share the gate for these games, so it no longer matters. Any money collected at the gate goes to both clubs.

TOT70 said:
Fear not, young man. The two clubs share the gate for these games, so it no longer matters. Any money collected at the gate goes to both clubs.

ok i can accept that, but i still dont wanna spend $36 for a ticket. so how can we get our hands on a GA ticket? can we pre-purchase, or do we have to rock up on the night and hope for the best?

The only GA areas for Thursday night (as per MCG web site) are - Ponsford Q31 - 36
Olympic Q49 - 57 (back half of each section)
Southern Q1 - 8
which was the same last year, and by 6pm most of these areas were already chockers.
Closer to the day Ticketek sell GA online and at outlets if you don't want to wait till the actual day.

Doubt if Ticketek has any more reserved areas left to release, reserved seats have been on sale for
some time now and I would think that they are almost all gone.
If there are any empty reserved areas on the night, they usually don't open these to
GA but just leave them empty.

Does anyone know if Level M (bottom level) of the Ponsford stand (ROW BB) are under cover ???... . Dont really care if I get wet, but taking my Carlton (boooo) father in law to the game.

Similar boat for me, normally I just stand near the grog squad squad so don't want to fork out for a seat when I won't use it. Plus I have just gone back to Uni to do a bit of Post Grad study so hoping to snag a Concession ticket with the Student Card ;D

Ian4 said:

Ticketek don't sell GA tickets to the MCG, only reserved seats for big drawing games, my understanding from what i have been told by the ticketek people is that every seat is a potential reserved seat until the day of the game from which they have have a better understanding of how many tickets can be put up for sale at the gate till the full house sign goes up, if you don't want to buy a reserved seat you will have to take your chances on the night.

Etihad stadium on the other hand do sell GA tix in advance via ticketmaster which is a great way to do it, i suffer the $4 booking fee for a big away game at etihad ( rich-stk last year) so i don't have to worry about lining up when i get there.

Tommo37 said:
Ticketek don't sell GA tickets to the MCG, only reserved seats for big drawing games, my understanding from what i have been told by the ticketek people is that every seat is a potential reserved seat until the day of the game from which they have have a better understanding of how many tickets can be put up for sale at the gate till the full house sign goes up, if you don't want to buy a reserved seat you will have to take your chances on the night.

Etihad stadium on the other hand do sell GA tix in advance via ticketmaster which is a great way to do it, i suffer the $4 booking fee for a big away game at etihad ( rich-stk last year) so i don't have to worry about lining up when i get there.

ok, so i have to buy a reserved seat... which brings me to another question: i just played around with the ticketek website again, and they are asking me to put in my membership barcode number... why? surely anyone should be able to access tickets?

Ian4 said:
ok, so i have to buy a reserved seat... which brings me to another question: i just played around with the ticketek website again, and they are asking me to put in my membership barcode number... why? surely anyone should be able to access tickets?

If you have a 16 game membership ticket you have already paid for admission, you are only purchasing an upgrade to a reserved seat. You put the bar-code in, it recognises that admission has already been paid and you will only be charged for the upgrade.

TOT70 said:
If you have a 16 game membership ticket you have already paid for admission, you are only purchasing an upgrade to a reserved seat. You put the bar-code in, it recognises that admission has already been paid and you will only be charged for the upgrade.

nah i've reverted back to 11 games for this year. 16 games doesn't give value for money anymore.

i just bit the bullet and forked out $36. just to rub salt into the wounds, i was offered nose bleed seats FFS (will just hang in the standing area anyway). the boys better get the job done for us on thursday.

Tiger Pops said:
Does anyone know if Level M (bottom level) of the Ponsford stand (ROW BB) are under cover ???... . Dont really care if I get wet, but taking my Carlton (boooo) father in law to the game.

Pretty sure row BB is under cover.

My son and I have 16 games memberships. He got on Tiketek on the first day reserved seats were available and got seats @ $27 in section N of the Ponsford stand (level 2).

AFL members reserve is filling up, Levels M, N and P are sold out and only limited seats apparently on level Q.

Also just had a quick look at AFL members reserve for the Collingwood game and a couple of sections have already sold out.

I just spoke to a Ticketek outlet guy and he said there would be GA seats available on the night - ground level. Apparently just roll up and buy direct from the ground??! Does this sound right? Has anyone done this for the Rd 1 game in the past? I have always got a reserved seat for this game and other potential sell-outs in the past so not sure what to do. If GA seats are available on the night I am wondering how many would be available. Or are GA standing room tickets available only at the ground?

ended up getting a couple of seats row E top deck of southern stand...

not ideal, but hopefully will be surrounded mainly by tigs