MCG Ticket allocation for Thurs night | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

MCG Ticket allocation for Thurs night

burgin27strang28 said:
I just spoke to a Ticketek outlet guy and he said there would be GA seats available on the night - ground level. Apparently just roll up and buy direct from the ground??! Does this sound right? Has anyone done this for the Rd 1 game in the past? I have always got a reserved seat for this game and other potential sell-outs in the past so not sure what to do. If GA seats are available on the night I am wondering how many would be available. Or are GA standing room tickets available only at the ground?
Mcg website is saying general admission areas are top deck only

super_coach said:
Mcg website is saying general admission areas are top deck only
I got a public reserved seat ticket for Level 4 on the Southern stand but I will be standing behind the goals instead.

I'm going to get there before gates open. Once they ring that bell to open gates, i will run in and extend my scarf out over 10 seats... There's my reserve seating.

B2

YellowBlacks21 said:
AFL members reserve is filling up, Levels M, N and P are sold out and only limited seats apparently on level Q.

Also just had a quick look at AFL members reserve for the Collingwood game and a couple of sections have already sold out.

Correct All of M, N and P are sold out and front half of Q top deck meaning A-Z, now selling rear of Q Sec AA and back...I did a mock buy and it stated all those areas as sold out and only rear of Q available....

Area: Reserved Seating
Category: Level Q Rear
Section:
Q16-U
Row:
AA

***Got my tkts too for the collingwood match and tkts also V Carl must say got awesome seats for both games as i snapped em up on the first day of sale ;D

burgin27strang28 said:
I just spoke to a Ticketek outlet guy and he said there would be GA seats available on the night - ground level. Apparently just roll up and buy direct from the ground??! Does this sound right?

No that doesn't sound right and i will say now the only GA seats will be far back in top deck Q

Thanks for the information guys - much appreciated. Just spoke to someone from the MCG and was told there will be GA seats sold on the day but only on level 4 - I think for all stands if I remember correctly. No standing room GA available. Looks like I will be getting a seat and standing on level 1. Will be interested to see how many empty seats there are on the night though. Note to self: get a 17 game membership next year with reserved seat - by faith believing we will get bigger crowds as we get more success. Go Tigers.

burgin27strang28 said:
Thanks for the information guys - much appreciated. Just spoke to someone from the MCG and was told there will be GA seats sold on the day but only on level 4 - I think for all stands if I remember correctly. No standing room GA available. Looks like I will be getting a seat and standing on level 1. Will be interested to see how many empty seats there are on the night though. Note to self: get a 17 game membership next year with reserved seat - by faith believing we will get bigger crowds as we get more success. Go Tigers.

A 16 game membership with a Reserved seat doesn’t help as the packages don't include reserved seats for away games. On the other hand, upgrading to a reserved seat is $15 each time, which is not too bad. As our membership grows, it will only get more difficult for nom-members to get a decent seat, so having a membership is the way to go.

was a 16 game member for many years, but reverted back to 11 this year as i don't believe i get value for money. the biggest issue is that you are not guaranteed entry to the away games because the membership is 'subject to capacity.' i paid for a ticket to the geelong game last year, despite virtually no tickets being available for 16 game members. i had to fork out extra for the st kilda game to ensure i got in. i missed out on the dreamtime game (because i had other plans) so that was more money lost, and the cairns replacement game made it even less viable as all members were admitted entry to the game. i reckon i was at least $100 in the red last year (and thats being conservative).

make no mistake, if you have a 16 game membership, you are not guaranteed entry on thursday unless you upgrade to a reserved seat.

AstuteTiger said:
MCC guesstimate 75K on their website but i reckon "weather permitting" it will be more around 80-85,000

I think you're right.

It's funny, I was initially annoyed that the interstate games opened the season, rather than the traditional Tigers - Blooze match, but now I feel they just whetted the appetite of footy fans for the start of real footy - at the 'G!

Ian4 said:
was a 16 game member for many years, but reverted back to 11 this year as i don't believe i get value for money. the biggest issue is that you are not guaranteed entry to the away games because the membership is 'subject to capacity.' i paid for a ticket to the geelong game last year, despite virtually no tickets being available for 16 game members. i had to fork out extra for the st kilda game to ensure i got in. i missed out on the dreamtime game (because i had other plans) so that was more money lost, and the cairns replacement game made it even less viable as all members were admitted entry to the game. i reckon i was at least $100 in the red last year (and thats being conservative).

make no mistake, if you have a 16 game membership, you are not guaranteed entry on thursday unless you upgrade to a reserved seat.

Fair enough, Ian, everyone makes their own choices for their own reason. Just a couple of points.

You are not guaranteed admittance to any game unless you have a reserved seat. Admittance is always “subject to capacity” for anyone who hasn’t forked out for a seat.

The games in Geelong have been an insult to Tiger fans for years. The only reason we have been sent down there has been our own poor on-field performance. The big Melbourne clubs have all told them to stick their stadium where the sun don’t shine and it has become the place where Geelong belt interstate teams and lowly Melbourne clubs. St Kilda has scored the dubious honour of playing there in our place in 2013. Hopefully, our membership stays high and we don’t go there ever again.

Whether we like it or not, the secret to a club’s financial success has now become its ability to sell reserved seats. We have lagged behind in this area for years, mainly because the MCG is big enough to cater for most games. As spectators, we have been spoiled but our club has suffered as a result. Essendon, WC, Adelaide, Geelong, even Hawthorn in Launceston have all made good money out of forcing their fans to pay for reserved seats if they want to see them play live. It is almost unheard of, for example, for an Essendon member to not have a reserved seat for their home games.

Cheap memberships which provide value for money generally mean that the club struggles to keep up. Membership packages with Reserved seating boost the club but raise the ante for the members, who will only get value for money if their team is successful. Unfortunately, this is now a money game.

fair enough TOT70, and i agree that the game is turning into a money game. but the afl has been boasting for many years about good they are at keeping prices low so the ordinary punter on the street can attend. but i'll tell you what... if i'm gonna have to contually fork out $36+ for away games in the future for nose bleed seats, i'm gonna stay home and watch them on tv.

FYI, i upgraded my membership this year to the prawn sanga section to retain a guarateed GF ticket if we make it (another reason why i dropped from 16 to 11 games - to reduce costs). so if the trade-off means i'm gonna have to stop going to away games, then so be it.

Ian4 said:
fair enough TOT70, and i agree that the game is turning into a money game. but the afl has been boasting for many years about good they are at keeping prices low so the ordinary punter on the street can attend. but i'll tell you what... if i'm gonna have to contually fork out $36+ for away games in the future, i'm gonna stay home and watch them on tv.

FYI, i upgraded my membership this year to the prawn sanga section to retain a guarateed GF ticket if we make it. so if the trade-off means i'm gonna have to stop going to away games, then so be it.

Yep. I’m not judging btw, Ian. I remember fondly the days when all I had to do was buy a membership and rock up to the game. Maybe I’d make a few casual arrangements to meet some mates or just take the kids. I could even do both if I wanted to. I didn’t have to go to any great lengths to plan anything, just meet under light tower no 2 at whatever time.

Now that we have entered the brave new world of Reserved seating, it is almost impossible to do the old annual catch-up at the footy with this mate or with that mate. There have even been instances where I have taken the same train in with some friends, then we’ve sat in our own areas before going for a drink or just caught the train home together.

I used the example of Essendon fans before. They have been desensitized to this since they moved their home games to Etihad and HAD to buy Reserved seats. I know several Essendon fans and all of them have done exactly that, traded off the away games. Sometimes my business partner makes an exception and goes to an ANZAC Day away game, if he can get a seat, but that is about it. To me, this is sad.

The other side of the coin is that Geelong are making a fortune out of selling Reserved seats at a 20,000 seat venue and have won three flags on the back of it. I’d like to have some of that too.

if the game isn't sold out I'll just turn up on the day fingers crossed for a GA - does anyone know what times the gates open?

glantone said:
if the game isn't sold out I'll just turn up on the day fingers crossed for a GA - does anyone know what times the gates open?

4.00pm

Gate opening:
Public/AFL members: 4.00pm
MCC members: 4.00pm

Car park opening:
Gate 3: 12noon
Gate 5: 3.00pm
Gate 6: 4.00pm
Gate 7: 7.00am (media, corporate and disabled pass holders only)

Expected attendance: 75,000