1930's Footy cards | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

1930's Footy cards

BalmyArmy

Tiger Superstar
Jul 15, 2003
Melbourne
Does anyone on PRE know anything about old footy cards?

The reason I ask is because my step mum gave me some Richmond Footy cards from the 30's and I just stumbled accross them again in my Mums garage.

The cards I have are as follows and what the card says on the back;

B.D.V Cigarettes (year unknown)

Bert Foster- One of the biggest and fairest followers in the V.F.L., he is a good kick, and has rendered valuable service for a number of years.

Standard Cigarettes Football series (Year unknown)[/u]

Jack Dyer (Colour cartoon card)- No. 7 J. Dyer- Follower- One of the most promising young followers in the game. Exceptional high mark and good kick. Very useful up forward when off the ball. Selected Interstate last year which was his second year only with Richmond.

Eric Zschech (Colour cartoon card)- No. 8 Zschech- Centre- Brilliant, brainy and reliable player, noted for his position play and accurate passing. Possibly the most improved centre man to-day.

Hoadleys Nut Bars Football cards (year unknown)[/u]

Jack Titus (Colour painted photo card) - A clever evasive forward of slight build. Titus is an excellent high mark and good kick. He is a good position player who scores a number of goals, and is always well up in the list of goal kickers.

P. Bentley (Colour painted photo card) -Captain of the 1932 premiership team, a big follower who uses his weight to his advantage in the crushes. He is a fair mark and kick.

A. Geddes (Colour painted photo card) - One of the cleverest and most consistent wing players in the V.F.L. His pace is deceptive and his position play is excellent. He is a reliable mark, and probably makes better use of his kicks than any other man in the game.

W.D. & H.O. Wills Cigarettes football Cards (Year 1933)[/u]

Vic Thorpe (Past Champion card)- A former Richmond and Interstate player; considered by many as the best full back the game has ever seen. Of uncanny judgement when going for the ball, he was an excellent kick, a fine mark, and showed pleanty of dash when clearing his goal.

J. Baggott- One of Richmonds most consistent players for a number of years. A versatile player who is a good mark and has plenty of pace. He has proved himself as a defender and a forward. He can also take a turn in the ruck with equal success.

G. Strang- A champion country player from Albury, Strang transferred to Richmond in 1931 and immediately proved himself a player of class. He is very effective whether forward, back or following; has a safe pair of hands and is a good kick. Played in the Victorian team last season.

Bert Foster-
A bif follower who has rendered his club valuable service during the past few years. One of the biggest followers in the game, he is scrupulously fair, a very reliable mark, and fair ground player.

J. Titus- Richmond's most consistent forward for a number of years. Of slight build, Titus is an excellent high mark and good kick, and his position play is supported by clever evasion. He has represented Victoria in Interstate matches.

B. McCormack- A fearless half-back of tear through type. A good mark and fair kick. Has represented Victoria in Interstate matches.

P.Bentley- A strong and rugged follower, he uses his weight to his adavntage in the crushes, and is also a fair mark and a good kick. captain of the 1932 premiers, and also a Victorian representative.

W. Schmidt (Larger Past Champion Card)- A champion of pre-war days, Schmidt was a very effective and dashing centre player who rendered valuable service to both StKilda and Richmond. He has also represented Victoria in Interstate matches. Since the war he has been one of the most successful coaches in football, and has been appointed coach of Richmond for 1933.

I remember hearing a segment on SEN a while back where you could call up and get thing svalaued, but dont know if it's till running. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction, because I want get them valued, then get advice on how to protect them.

Hope you all enjoyed that little trip down memory lane. Wish you could actually see the cards.

ronnit

Tiger Superstar
Sep 25, 2007
i am not any help to you but need advice as well..i have quite a few boxes of these cards...footy, cricket and horse racing. i got them from my mums side of the family..very very old...i have no idea what to do with them..probably have a few hundred

:)

feisty tige

Tiger Legend
Oct 15, 2003
Dandenong
http://www.aflfootycards.com/

Maybe here could be a starting point?

http://search.ebay.com/afl-football

They have a Francis Bourke card for $4.63 !

http://www.footycardtrader.com/shop/products.asp?cat=1&subcat=2007&cardType=2

Bartlett card for $12.

BalmyArmy

Tiger Superstar
Jul 15, 2003
Melbourne
ronnit said:
i am not any help to you but need advice as well..i have quite a few boxes of these cards...footy, cricket and horse racing. i got them from my mums side of the family..very very old...i have no idea what to do with them..probably have a few hundred

:)

I'd be keen to hear what your cards say! Start typing Ronnit. :hihi

BalmyArmy

Tiger Superstar
Jul 15, 2003
Melbourne
feisty tige said:
http://www.aflfootycards.com/

Maybe here could be a starting point?

http://search.ebay.com/afl-football

They have a Francis Bourke card for $4.63 !

http://www.footycardtrader.com/shop/products.asp?cat=1&subcat=2007&cardType=2

Bartlett card for $12.

Thanks Feisty.

I also have a Royce Hart card from his first season in Mint Condition. Been wrapped in plastic and mounted to cardboard since day 1.

ronnit

Tiger Superstar
Sep 25, 2007
holy *smile*..i would be here for a few days...bout to go outside and enjoy some of this sunshine...but after the soccer tonite i might get a chance to go through a few...:)

Growl

Ten flags and counting
Apr 3, 2007
BalmyArmy said:
Does anyone on PRE know anything about old footy cards?

The reason I ask is because my step mum gave me some Richmond Footy cards from the 30's and I just stumbled accross them again in my Mums garage.

The cards I have are as follows and what the card says on the back;

B.D.V Cigarettes (year unknown) Put out in 1933 by Godfrey & Phillips Tobacco Co. Two issues - one of 50, one of 75

Bert Foster- One of the biggest and fairest followers in the V.F.L., he is a good kick, and has rendered valuable service for a number of years.

Standard Cigarettes Football series (Year unknown)[/u]

Jack Dyer (Colour cartoon card)- No. 7 J. Dyer- Follower- One of the most promising young followers in the game. Exceptional high mark and good kick. Very useful up forward when off the ball. Selected Interstate last year which was his second year only with Richmond.
1933 this was a series done by Bob Mirams for Carreras. Standard Cigs was one of their products.

Eric Zschech (Colour cartoon card)- No. 8 Zschech- Centre- Brilliant, brainy and reliable player, noted for his position play and accurate passing. Possibly the most improved centre man to-day.

Hoadleys Nut Bars Football cards (year unknown)[/u]

Jack Titus (Colour painted photo card) - A clever evasive forward of slight build. Titus is an excellent high mark and good kick. He is a good position player who scores a number of goals, and is always well up in the list of goal kickers.

P. Bentley (Colour painted photo card) -Captain of the 1932 premiership team, a big follower who uses his weight to his advantage in the crushes. He is a fair mark and kick.

A. Geddes (Colour painted photo card) - One of the cleverest and most consistent wing players in the V.F.L. His pace is deceptive and his position play is excellent. He is a reliable mark, and probably makes better use of his kicks than any other man in the game.

W.D. & H.O. Wills Cigarettes football Cards (Year 1933)[/u]

Vic Thorpe (Past Champion card)- A former Richmond and Interstate player; considered by many as the best full back the game has ever seen. Of uncanny judgement when going for the ball, he was an excellent kick, a fine mark, and showed pleanty of dash when clearing his goal. unfortunately mis-spelled with an 'e'

J. Baggott- One of Richmonds most consistent players for a number of years. A versatile player who is a good mark and has plenty of pace. He has proved himself as a defender and a forward. He can also take a turn in the ruck with equal success.

G. Strang- A champion country player from Albury, Strang transferred to Richmond in 1931 and immediately proved himself a player of class. He is very effective whether forward, back or following; has a safe pair of hands and is a good kick. Played in the Victorian team last season.

Bert Foster-
A bif follower who has rendered his club valuable service during the past few years. One of the biggest followers in the game, he is scrupulously fair, a very reliable mark, and fair ground player.

J. Titus- Richmond's most consistent forward for a number of years. Of slight build, Titus is an excellent high mark and good kick, and his position play is supported by clever evasion. He has represented Victoria in Interstate matches.

B. McCormack- A fearless half-back of tear through type. A good mark and fair kick. Has represented Victoria in Interstate matches.

P.Bentley- A strong and rugged follower, he uses his weight to his adavntage in the crushes, and is also a fair mark and a good kick. captain of the 1932 premiers, and also a Victorian representative.

W. Schmidt (Larger Past Champion Card)- A champion of pre-war days, Schmidt was a very effective and dashing centre player who rendered valuable service to both StKilda and Richmond. He has also represented Victoria in Interstate matches. Since the war he has been one of the most successful coaches in football, and has been appointed coach of Richmond for 1933.

I remember hearing a segment on SEN a while back where you could call up and get thing svalaued, but dont know if it's till running. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction, because I want get them valued, then get advice on how to protect them.

As feisty listed http://www.aflfootycards.com/ is prob the best for prices but they only go back to 1948. Be very very cautious of eBay prices - that's like going to a house auction and accepting that that price is what every similar house would sell for. Condition, how many are interested, who wants that card to complete a set, flavour of the month, all comes into it. By all means use eBay but just be careful. I buy a lot of cards on eBay - I also use the suppliers whose businesses are listed on eBay. You learn pretty quickly who are the reputable dealers. Plastic sheaths are good, I use them and keep them in plastic pages which have pockets in them. Check that said plastic is safe for archival use.
Hope you all enjoyed that little trip down memory lane. Wish you could actually see the cards.

BalmyArmy

Tiger Superstar
Jul 15, 2003
Melbourne
Ah, nice one Growl.

Thanks for posting those pics. I might try an snap a few of the others today, and post them on here.

Just out of interest, are they worth anything other than just sentimental value to me?

Growl

Ten flags and counting
Apr 3, 2007
If I had to buy that Dyer one [which is from my own collection] in that condition today, I would prob go to $50, maybe more.

It's hard to say. A lot of the bidding is personal choice.

There is a Dyer I am after (again by Mirams) which is more recent and I would pay a lot more than that. There were only 15 footballers in this series and they don't come up all that often and when they do it's a feeding frenzy.

1949 Victoria Nut Supplies #4​

Lidsand

Chimp Mail - Delivering Since 2007
Oct 12, 2005
Melbourne
i would some of those card could be worth in the thousands, if they are in perfect condition. what someone will pay for them is a whole nother story.

first place i would try would be carnegie collectibles.

TheFoxhat

Stand up if you love RICHMOND...
Mar 5, 2003
M2 Standing Area ..M.C.G.....
If you want to know about old cards & collectables ,you'll need to see David Norman in the Cheers Squad on game day, as he basically donated most of the cards & other stuff for the Richmond Muesem...... :help And he may have other stuff that your looking for too.

CHEERS :emblem

Growl

Ten flags and counting
Apr 3, 2007
Lidsand said:
i would some of those card could be worth in the thousands, if they are in perfect condition. what someone will pay for them is a whole nother story.

first place i would try would be carnegie collectibles.

Sorry, but I think their prices are unrealistic and it is dealers like Carnegie Collectables that drive the prices up.

But, by all means try their website: http://www.carnegiecollectables.com.au/cigarettecards.htm

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I too am a collector but basically just buy RFC cards if I see them with out been any expert on the prices.the basic cigarette cards go for around 50c an can be found anywhere,I have that Jack dyer one you talk of an paid 100$ for it.The Royce Hart rookie card I think I paid about 30$ for I know sometimes I find out later I got a bargain an others paid way too much.Card zone In North Melbourne, staright across the road from the Vic Market have an excellent selection,an also have a good website www.cardzone.com.au i think.

Personally love the more recent stuff an the Deledio an co signature cards from his first year are my favs

Growl

Ten flags and counting
Apr 3, 2007
Yes, CC, their prices are quite good.

For instance, they are charging $25 for 1987 Scanlens set while eBay has the '87 cards singly for nearly $8 each. Do the maths - there are 11 cards in the set, ha!

TigerGoneNorth

It all starts with One's defence.
Feb 6, 2005
London
I love those old cards and have quite a few myself. Be very careful about valuation, there are often reasonable variances in quoted prices. The other thing that is vital in pricing them is their condition. If they have 4 square corners and no bends etc they can be worth multiples of those with creases.

There is variation between series of course too as some old series are easy to find, others had small print runs.

Occasionally rare cards or good collections come up to the auction houses such as http://www.leski.com.au/ (although I can't see anything there now) so keep an eye out on them. There are others too that slip my mind at the moment but that'd be where I'd go to get some feel for value.

This guy knows his stuff too. http://www.guruofgarbage.com.au/

Otherwise I'd be happy to take them for a fiver!

BalmyArmy

Tiger Superstar
Jul 15, 2003
Melbourne
Thank you all for your advice and tips. Never wanting to actually sell them, but just keen anyway to find out their worth. I might actually go to that place in North melbouren to get them to have a look because I'm unsure how good or bad condition mine are in compared to others.

ronnit

Tiger Superstar
Sep 25, 2007
yeh thanks from me too..i might actually have a bit of time today to get them out and have a look...i will be hapopy to sell mine as they have been inherited by me and my brother and sisters so probably easier to sell and spilt the money!

hard to know what to do with stuff you inherit..hang on to it for sentimental reasons, or in case it goes up in value...or what?

TigerGoneNorth

It all starts with One's defence.
Feb 6, 2005
London
BalmyArmy said:
Thank you all for your advice and tips. Never wanting to actually sell them, but just keen anyway to find out their worth. I might actually go to that place in North melbouren to get them to have a look because I'm unsure how good or bad condition mine are in compared to others.

Watch him!