2007 Stella Awards | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2007 Stella Awards

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Its time again for the annual "Stella Awards"!

For those unfamiliar with these awards, they are named
after 81-year-old Stella Liebeck who spilled hot coffee on herself and
successfully sued the McDonald's in New Mexico where she purchased the
coffee. You remember, she took the lid off the coffee and put it between
her knees while she was driving. Who would ever think one could get
burned doing that, right?

That's right; these are awards for the most outlandish
lawsuits and verdicts in the U.S. You know, the kinds of cases that make
you scratch your head. So keep your head scratcher handy.

Here are the Stella's for the past year:

7TH PLACE:

Kathleen Robertson of Austin, Texas was awarded $80,000
by a jury of her peers after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler
who was running inside a furniture store. The store owners were
understandably surprised by the verdict, considering the running toddler
was her own son.

6TH PLACE:

Carl Truman, 19, of Los Angeles, California won $74,000
plus medical expenses when his neighbor ran over his hand with a Honda
Accord. Truman apparently didn't notice there was someone at the wheel
of the car when he was trying to steal his neighbor's hubcaps.

Go ahead, grab your head scratcher.

5TH PLACE:

Terrence Dickson, of Bristol, Pennsylvania, who was
leaving a house he had just burglarized by way of the garage.
Unfortunately for Dickson, the automatic garage door opener
malfunctioned and he could not get the garage door to open. Worse, he
couldn't re-enter the house because the door connecting the garage to
the house locked when Dickson pulled it shut. Forced to sit for eight,
count 'em, EIGHT, days on a case of Pepsi and a large bag of dry dog
food, he sued the homeowner's insurance company claiming undue mental
Anguish.

Amazingly, the jury said the insurance company must pay
Dickson $500,000 for his anguish. We should all have this kind of
anguish.

Keep scratching. Oh yes...there are more..

4TH PLACE:

Jerry Williams, of Little Rock , Arkansas , garnered 4th...
Place in the Stella's when he was awarded $14,500 plus medical expenses
after being bitten on the butt by his next door neighbor's beagle - even
though the beagle was on a chain in its owner's fenced yard. Williams
did not get as much as he asked for because the jury believed the beagle
might have been provoked at the time of the butt bite because Williams
had climbed over the fence into the yard and repeatedly shot the dog
with a pellet gun.

Grrrrr ... Scratch, scratch.

3RD PLACE:

Amber Carson of Lancaster, Pennsylvania because a jury ordered
a Philadelphia restaurant to pay her $113,500 after she slipped
on a spilled soft drink and broke her tailbone. The reason the soft
drink was on the floor--Ms. Carson had thrown it at her boyfriend
30 seconds earlier during an argument. What ever happened to
people being responsible for their own actions?

Scratch, scratch, scratch. Hang in there; there are only
two more Stella's to go...

2ND PLACE:

Kara Walton, of Claymont, Delaware sued the owner of a night
club in a nearby city because she fell from the bathroom window
to the floor, knocking out her two front teeth. Even though
Ms. Walton was trying to sneak through the ladies room window
to avoid paying the $3.50 cover charge, the jury said the night
club had to pay her $12,000...oh, yeah, plus dental expenses.
Go figure.

1ST PLACE: (May I have a fanfare played on 50 kazoos, please!)

This year's runaway First Place Stella Award winner was
Mrs. Merv Grazinski, of Oklahoma City, OK, who purchased a new
32-foot Winnebago motor home. On her first trip home, from an OU
football game, having driven onto the freeway, she set the cruise
control at 70 mph and calmly left the driver's seat to go to the back of
the Winnebago to make herself a sandwich. Not surprisingly, the motor
home left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Also not surprisingly,
Mrs. Grazinski sued Winnebago for not putting in the owner's manual that
she couldn't actually leave the driver's seat while the cruise control
was set. The Oklahoma jury awarded her, are you sitting down, $1,750,000
PLUS a new motor home. Winnebago actually changed their manuals as a
result of this suit, just in case Mrs. Grazinski has any relatives who
might also buy a motor home .

Hayfever

Tiger Champion
Apr 12, 2005
Crazy all right JB. This verdict last week is a fascinating one and could open up a whole new world of legal cases. Ben Cousins may well try using it too.

Canadian woman won a civil suit against her drug dealer for selling her addictive street drugs that landed her in hospital after an overdose, she said Wednesday.

A judge in western Saskatchewan province threw out the rural drug dealer's defense because he refused to reveal where he got the narcotics, and in doing so, awarded plaintiff Sandra Bergen a default victory, said court documents.

"I was frustrated with the criminal justice system because there was no real investigation (into his crimes), so I decided to try to hold him accountable through a civil lawsuit," Bergen told AFP in a telephone interview.

"I sued him for negligence ... for selling me (illegal) drugs and getting me hooked when I was vulnerable," she said of her former kindergarten friend who first offered her a free dose when she was only 13 years old.

Citing her attorney, Bergen added: "My victory sets a legal precedence (in Canada), so people can now sue their drug dealers if they want to."

After she overdosed on crystal methamphetamine in May 2004, Bergen spent 11 days in a coma and nearly died.

While hooked up to a hospital respirator because she could not breathe on her own, she said she suffered lung failure, heart failure, kidney failure, and liver failure.

"It almost killed me," she said.

In her statement of claim, Bergen alleged her dealer "knew the drug was highly addictive and was harmful to the wealth and well-being of anyone taking it," yet still sold it to her "for the purpose of making money."

In his defense, Clinton Davey said Bergen "voluntarily consumed illegal drugs, thus contributing to her own condition." "She assumed the risks," he said.

Bergen woke up from the coma on her 20th birthday and has since abandoned her seven-year drug habit, but still suffers reduced heart function and other ailments, she said.

A judge must now determine damages in the case. Bergen said she is seeking in excess of 50,000 dollars (Canadian, US). A date for the hearing has not yet been set
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/080109/canada/canada_court_drugs_trafficking

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Wow that's amazing. Big can of worms - in a way it may be a good thing, perhaps the best form of attack against drug dealers that I can think of.

Hayfever

Tiger Champion
Apr 12, 2005
jb03 said:
Wow that's amazing. Big can of worms - in a way it may be a good thing, perhaps the best form of attack against drug dealers that I can think of.
My reaction was the same as yours JB. Also why has someone not done this before?

blackandyellowmatt

Tiger Rookie
Oct 4, 2006
Pakenham
What a wonderful world we live in.

Hopefully the footy club won't get sued for mental anguish after last years effort.
Although I am still pretty damaged by the Geelong hiding.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Found it hard to believe these things could happen, even in the US justice system, and found the following:

"Merv Grazinski set his Winnebago on cruise control, slid away from the wheel and went back to fix a cup of coffee.
His jackpot would seem to erase any doubt that the legal system has lost its mind. Indeed, the Grazinski case has been cited often as evidence of the need to limit lawsuits and jury awards.

There's just one problem: The story is a complete fabrication.

It is one of the more comical tales in an anthology of legal urban legends that have circulated widely on the Internet, regaling millions with examples of cluelessness and greed being richly rewarded by the courts. These fables have also been widely disseminated by columnists and pundits who, in their haste to expose the gullibility of juries, did not verify the stories and were taken in themselves.

Although the origins of the tales are unknown, some observers, including George Washington University law professor Jonathan Turley, say their wide acceptance has helped to rally public opinion behind business-led campaigns to overhaul the civil justice system by restricting some types of lawsuits and capping damage awards.

'I am astonished how successful these urban legends have been in influencing policy,' Turley said. 'The people that created these stories did so with remarkable skill.'"

http://www.kentlaw.edu/faculty/rbrill/classes/BrillTortsF2007Eve/CoursePages/Course_docs/Supp_material/Frivolous_Suits.html

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
jb03 said:

Interesting that Cuz hasn't launched any legal action against anyone isn't it? ;)

Funny thread john blackman. Insane really.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
blackandyellowmatt said:
What a wonderful world we live in.

Hopefully the footy club won't get sued for mental anguish after last years effort.
Although I am still pretty damaged by the Geelong hiding.
Hope their insurance premiums are paid up BnYM ;D

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Tigers of Old said:
Interesting that Cuz hasn't launched any legal action against anyone isn't it? ;)

Funny thread john blackman. Insane really.

I hear a whisper you are a possible defendant due to your constant negative posting toward him on PRE.
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Found it hard to believe these things could happen, even in the US justice system, and found the following:

"Merv Grazinski set his Winnebago on cruise control, slid away from the wheel and went back to fix a cup of coffee.
His jackpot would seem to erase any doubt that the legal system has lost its mind. Indeed, the Grazinski case has been cited often as evidence of the need to limit lawsuits and jury awards.

There's just one problem: The story is a complete fabrication.

It is one of the more comical tales in an anthology of legal urban legends that have circulated widely on the Internet, regaling millions with examples of cluelessness and greed being richly rewarded by the courts. These fables have also been widely disseminated by columnists and pundits who, in their haste to expose the gullibility of juries, did not verify the stories and were taken in themselves.

Although the origins of the tales are unknown, some observers, including George Washington University law professor Jonathan Turley, say their wide acceptance has helped to rally public opinion behind business-led campaigns to overhaul the civil justice system by restricting some types of lawsuits and capping damage awards.

'I am astonished how successful these urban legends have been in influencing policy,' Turley said. 'The people that created these stories did so with remarkable skill.'"

http://www.kentlaw.edu/faculty/rbrill/classes/BrillTortsF2007Eve/CoursePages/Course_docs/Supp_material/Frivolous_Suits.html

Thanks L2R2R, it was emailed to me and I just posted it. Still think there is some semblance of truth, remember the guy who won the meat raffle, strapped the chops to his feet, slipped and hurt himself then sued the pub.