2014 Draft/2014 Nat Champs | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2014 Draft/2014 Nat Champs

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Went and had a look today at Vic Metro v Vic Country.

This is easy. Get Angus Brayshaw.

He's the one.

SCOOP said:

He's the one.

Yep. Will be a star. I reckon we'd have to finish bottom 3 to be any chance though, which is admittedly looking likelier by the round.

SCOOP said:

He's the one.
Son of our former CEO I hear, nephew of James Brayshaw.

From what I have heard he should be the first midfielder to get drafted.

What do you like about him SCOOP?

I've thought about what our tact should be for not totally gutting the side but still moving us forward into a regular finals side.

I would build the midfield. Use every pick on mids for the next two years. We still don't have midfield depth and we have too many butchers on the periphery. If we get smart ball movement and mids who play both ways, the backs and forward look better.

Our spread, run & carry and kicking stills are way under were they need to be. Fix that and every one looks better.

Look at Luke Parker, he was found at pick 40. Look at the role he played at the Swans building up to being A grade mid. High half forward, some run with roles and limited midfield exposure. That's the trajectory we need another 4-6 starting.

Smoking Aces said:

He is a general. He tackles. He is hard. Kicks well with either foot. Composed. Gets to multiple contests and competes.

Comptes like Ollie Wines but is a bit classier.

Cheers SCOOP.

Did Tom Lamb play?

Has the height to be a KPP but could end up being that tall midfielder similar to a Pendelbury.

Lamb's a nice type. Although different, I reckon we have what he offers in Lennon.

If he was around second round, jump on him but I think he goes between 8-20 at this stage. If he burns the second of the year, could go top 8.

Defs has class & time.

SkillzThatKillz said:
How did Goddard go?

Didn't do a lot but what he did do was first class. Incredible athlete and skills for a boy his size. Classic action kicking. Will need some time at the top level. But a very likely type. Rougheadish.

I'm liking what I've been hearing re Brayshaw.

Play the kids, dump the duds.

Get games into our kids now and relaunch for 2015. If we win it's a bonus.

Midfield needs a slight rebuild.

No more drafting weak as *smile* unskilled footballers.

Another one I really liked, Cody Ellis. Magic left footer. Pure class.

Tony Braxton-Hicks said:
How did Darcy Tucker go? He's for next year though.

Very good, one to watch for next year.

Goddard was kept quiet by McLaren, however McCartin was very good.

Wouldn't want to be the recruiter to pick between Goddard and McCartin.

Brayshaw was the standout, would be very good to get with our first pick.

Smoking Aces said:

Son of Mark, nephew of James.

SCOOP said:
I've thought about what our tact should be for not totally gutting the side but still moving us forward into a regular finals side.

I would build the midfield. Use every pick on mids for the next two years on mids. We still don't have midfield depth and we have too many butchers on the periphery. If we get smart ball movement and mids who play both ways, the backs and forward look better.

Our spread, run & carry and kicking stills are way under were they need to be. Fix that and every one looks better.

Look at Luke Parker, he was found at pick 40. Look at the role he played at the Swans building up to being A grade mid. High half forward, some run with roles and limited midfield exposure. That's the trajectory we need another 4-6 starting.

Agree abslolutely!

We lack for genuine midfielders, and often are required to play flankers as midfielders.

During the Hafey era, we used to laugh at teams such as Collingwood because they used to play flankers like Wayne & Max Richardson, Ray Shaw, Ron Wearmouth & Peter Daicos as midfielders. The shoe has been on the other foot, since the mid 80s.

Dustin Martin was our last genuine, junior midfielder recruited.
Since Dustin Martin, we have recruited Conca, Ellis, Vlastuin & Lennon, with our early picks.
Conca, who played in the WA U18 team, was a midfield tagger, not a genuine midfielder.

And Scoop, you are absolutely right again that good genuine goal kicking rovers can be picked up after the first round.
Luke Parker is a great example of an outside running goal-kicking rover.
Beams at Collingwood is another good example.
There are many others.

This year, I too would like to see us pick up the beginnings of our new mosquito fleet.
I want to see a some genuine midfielders, with:
1. genuine pace,
2. a genuine engine, and
3. goal kicking skills.

Phantom said:
Agree abslolutely!

We lack for genuine midfielders, and often are required to play flankers as midfielders.

During the Hafey era, we used to laugh at teams such as Collingwood because they used to play flankers like Wayne & Max Richardson, Ray Shaw, Ron Wearmouth & Peter Daicos as midfielders. The shoe has been on the other foot, since the mid 80s.

Dustin Martin was our last genuine, junior midfielder recruited.
Since Dustin Martin, we have recruited Conca, Ellis, Vlastuin & Lennon, with our early picks.
Conca, who played in the WA U18 team, was a midfield tagger, not a genuine midfielder.

And Scoop, you are absolutely right again that good genuine goal kicking rovers can be picked up after the first round.
Luke Parker is a great example of an outside running goal-kicking rover.
Beams at Collingwood is another good example.
There are many others.

This year, I too would like to see us pick up the beginnings of our new mosquito fleet.
I want to see a some genuine midfielders, with:
1. genuine pace,
2. a genuine engine, and
3. goal kicking skills.

Yep, that's fine with me. Genuine ball winners. Playing as mids. Who can run and kick. There was one bloke today who showed genuine class but I am not sure he impacts enough. Want to watch him in the second half of the year. Jack Lonie. Tiny but amazing footwork in traffic. In and out. Couldn't touch him.

SCOOP said:

I would build the midfield. Use every pick on mids for the next two years. We still don't have midfield depth and we have too many butchers on the periphery. If we get smart ball movement and mids who play both ways, the backs and forward look better.

As is generally the case you are right on the money Scoop. We need a serious injection of class into our midfield and it would be a welcome bonus if that class had speed as well.

Our midfield depth is *smile*. We have the Chimp who is being destroyed by Hardwick's garbage game plan. Lids has class and speed but unfortunately is a bit soft and gets shut out of games way too easily. Dusty has the class but not the engine yet. The rest of them are far from elite and some are plain old hacks and plodders. Jackson has improved his game dramatically and on form of the past year or so some would make an argument he is our best mid. He is miles off the elite mids of the AFL so that in itself says a lot about the midfield group. Foley is finished, Grigg and Edwards :rofl :rofl. Thomas is a hard nut who can't kick. Conca is treading water. Ellis is OK but a long way to go still. Vlastuin IMO is the best of the youngsters and hopefully he can step up to elite class in the next couple of years but he is not quick; if he becomes elite then that doesn't matter so much. Miles is on the rookie list; can he make the transition? Helbig looks as though he won't make it. Like Arnot's hardness but after 3 years the jury is out; probably doesn't have the class.

When you break it down the midlfield list is very thin. Just need to draft at least 7-8 in the next two years; if not more.

Smoking Aces said:
Did Tom Lamb play?

Has the height to be a KPP but could end up being that tall midfielder similar to a Pendelbury.

He's a really good prospect, Better in the 2nd half