2014 Hindsight Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2014 Hindsight Draft

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
turk-d-tiger said:
Not too concerned about his size Bullus, He is the same size as Higgins & Bolton as well as the infamous byron Pickett
in all the footage i have seen of stack his athleticism looks fine but have read that his tank is on the low end of the spectrum is that what you are referring to or is there something els

It's a combination of being 177cm, not blistering quick (3sec/20m) & not having a great tank. If he was a genuine goal sneak then the odds improve somewhat but so far in his career his best performances have been as a midfielder. So I reckon we can rule out a Betts type career (another who had very poor endurance), probably doesn't have the scope to be a Lachie Neale type midfielder given his aerobic base is so low, so my optimistic projection would be something resembling Devon Smith. That would entail a fair bit of work on his running because Smith came with a ready-made tank. Certainly not impossible, there have been some amazing transformations over the years, the most notable was Toby McLean who ran an 11 beep but is now a bonafide midfielder. I don't need to state the obvious but attitude counts for everything in these situations, fingers & toes crossed that Stack has the ticker to put the past behind him.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
bullus_hit said:
It's a combination of being 177cm, not blistering quick (3sec/20m) & not having a great tank. If he was a genuine goal sneak then the odds improve somewhat but so far in his career his best performances have been as a midfielder. So I reckon we can rule out a Betts type career (another who had very poor endurance), probably doesn't have the scope to be a Lachie Neale type midfielder given his aerobic base is so low, so my optimistic projection would be something resembling Devon Smith. That would entail a fair bit of work on his running because Smith came with a ready-made tank. Certainly not impossible, there have been some amazing transformations over the years, the most notable was Toby McLean who ran an 11 beep but is now a bonafide midfielder. I don't need to state the obvious but attitude counts for everything in these situations, fingers & toes crossed that Stack has the ticker to put the past behind him.

Interesting that we still rely on fairly narrow testing perametres to analyse a young players future football potential. Non football ability testing other than mechanical kicking and clean hands testing and generic athletic tests makes for a somewhat safe cookie cutter approach. Nothing beats watching someone play with the naked eye.
One trait that is very underrated is the first 5 metres or even the first 3 steps and combined with evasiveness, makes for a very dangerous player if they can get first use of the ball, inside or outside. Hope this Stacks up with #44

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Dont Argue said:
Interesting that we still rely on fairly narrow testing perametres to analyse a young players future football potential. Non football ability testing other than mechanical kicking and clean hands testing and generic athletic tests makes for a somewhat safe cookie cutter approach. Nothing beats watching someone play with the naked eye.
One trait that is very underrated is the first 5 metres or even the first 3 steps and combined with evasiveness, makes for a very dangerous player if they can get first use of the ball, inside or outside. Hope this Stacks up with #44

Don't think Stack is quite as slippery as some of the other indigenous lads who have come through the system, he does however have reasonably good acceleration & a fairly well rounded inside/outside game. Unlikely to produce the metres gained of a Hill or Jetta but his tackling is first rate so spending some time forward ala Devon Smith a real possibility. I think this will be the key to accommodating his athletic limitations. The odds of becoming a 100 minutes a game midfielder probably remote but not totally out of the question. The other player who came to mind was Willie Rioli, in fact this may prove to be the best yardstick if Willie spends more time in the midfield in 2019.

SCOOP said:
Could see Stack being trailed as a small defender.

That maybe something to consider, Rory Laird is also 177cm so there's a perfect template to work with. Stack's kicking also cut from the same cloth, not overly penetrative but generally safe & low trajectory. Both rookie picks too, be interesting to see how the coaching staff see things.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
SCOOP said:
Could see Stack being trailed as a small defender.

Great pick up Scoop.
In his latest video on RFC, Syd Vicious proclaims that he used to play as a defender and enjoys playing down there. Currently training with the defensive group so looks like coaches have earmarked him early.
Could he be our Johncock? Can never have enough great lock down, rebounding backpocket players. May prevent Gresham kicking 5 on us every time we play Saints.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Stack has good speed for defense.
Hopefully with his new fitness regime he has gained a yard
and note Bully that the HSun wrote that he is 179cm. Not a midget

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Senior Team

Backs - Riley Bonner, Sam Taylor, Darcy Byrne-Jones
Half Backs - Josh Gibcus, Noah Balta, Matt Johnson
Centre - Blake Howes, Luke Parker, Luke Davies-Uniake
Half Forward - Dustin Martin, Tom Lynch, Tim Membrey
Forwards - Maurice Jnr, Jack Riewoldt, Shai Bolton

Onballers - Brodie Grundy Dion Prestia Trent Cotchin

Bench - Jack Darling Jack Graham Tyler Sonsie Jack Ross

Reserves Team

Backs - _____________, ____________Ben Miller
Half Backs - Nic Newman _______________Josh Rotham
Centre - Patrick Naish Jack Bytel ______________
Half Forward - ______________Sam Reid _______________
Forwards - Judson Clarke, Bailey Williams______________

Onballers - Toby Nankervis Connor Blakely Riley Collier-Dawkins

Bench - ______________, ________________, _____________, ________________

Missed a couple of drafts so quite a few holes, will attempt to plug those this year & next. Desperately need a rebounder in there, picking Hibberd over Dan Rioli a huge blunder that I never saw coming. Defence lacks pace, I think the spine ok for now, the bookends are in & I like the flexibility. For this particular exercise I may entertain making a big play for Cadman, he's the logical replacement for Jack.

Reactions: 1 user

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Picks this year

14. Elijah Hewett
35. Isaac Keeler
70. Will Verall

* Sam Taylor was my pick for CCJ so no pick 23. I would however trump Carlton and select Cowan with a future second.

Future second for Lachie Cowan

Rookies

12. Seth Campbell
26. Tylar Young

Don't need Mitchell with this squad, already have plenty of emerging talent, the top tier in Davies-Uniake, Shai Bolton, Matt Johnson, Elijah Hewett, Tyler Sonsie, Jack Graham & Jack Ross is a solid core in anticipation of the Cotchin, Martin & Prestia retirements.

Senior Team

Reserves Team

Backs - Lachie Cowan, Sam Reid, Ben Miller
Half Backs - Nic Newman, Tylar Young, Josh Rotham
Centre - _____________ Jack Bytel ______________
Half Forward - _______________, Isaac Keeler _______________
Forwards - Judson Clarke, Bailey Williams, Seth Campbell

Onballers - Toby Nankervis, Connor Blakely, Elijah Hewett

Bench - Will Verall, ________________, _____________, ________________

Still quite a few gaps but next year's draft will hopefully sort that out, maybe a free agent or two will come into play.

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Picks this year

14. Elijah Hewett
35. Isaac Keeler
70. Will Verall

* Sam Taylor was my pick for CCJ so no pick 23. I would however trump Carlton and select Cowan with a future second.

Future second for Lachie Cowan

Rookies

12. Seth Campbell
26. Tylar Young

Don't need Mitchell with this squad, already have plenty of emerging talent, the top tier in Davies-Uniake, Shai Bolton, Matt Johnson, Elijah Hewett, Tyler Sonsie, Jack Graham & Jack Ross is a solid core in anticipation of the Cotchin, Martin & Prestia retirements.

Senior Team

Reserves Team

Backs - Lachie Cowan, Sam Reid, Ben Miller
Half Backs - Nic Newman, Tylar Young, Josh Rotham
Centre - _____________ Jack Bytel ______________
Half Forward - _______________, Isaac Keeler _______________
Forwards - Judson Clarke, Bailey Williams, Seth Campbell

Onballers - Toby Nankervis, Connor Blakely, Elijah Hewett

Bench - Will Verall, ________________, _____________, ________________

Still quite a few gaps but next year's draft will hopefully sort that out, maybe a free agent or two will come into play.
Sorry, what's this list about, very curious man? :)

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Sorry, what's this list about, very curious man? :)
All the picks that Richmond had at their disposal since I've been on PRE, 17 years worth of selections, a few missing drafts over the covid era, that's why there's a few gaps.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Due to popular demand I'll only be posting on this thread from now on, just sizing up the mid season draft & I'm close to giving Teal the tick of approval. His body seems to be holding up exceedingly well & his skill set never in question.

Ashton Moir a bit down but did well in the SANFL ressies, I like him a lot, any player with flawless dual sided kicking deserves close attention.

Reactions: 6 users

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
@bullus_hit, do you reckon Teal has the potential to play wing/midfield?
Yes I do, Kamdyn McIntosh replacement but with slightly more polished kicking. Defensively he is also very accountable, I think there's a fair degree of flexibility with this selection.

Reactions: 4 users

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
You'd hope so (all respect to Kamdyn)
I'm a McIntosh fan but kicking was never his strong suit, Teal good enough for a rebounder role or playing on a wing in a similar manner to Grant Birchall. Looking over the list I reckon we could do with a player of that ilk.

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
I'm a McIntosh fan but kicking was never his strong suit, Teal good enough for a rebounder role or playing on a wing in a similar manner to Grant Birchall. Looking over the list I reckon we could do with a player of that ilk.
What's his contested game and tank like? Will need both to play wing under Dimma

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
What's his contested game and tank like? Will need both to play wing under Dimma
Contested game pretty good, he's generally close checking & seems to relish the one on one contests. Agility is elite, gut running I don't think is a problem, I think with his injury history you could allow for some growth. Pretty good leadership credentials too.

Reactions: 1 users

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
Contested game pretty good, he's generally close checking & seems to relish the one on one contests. Agility is elite, gut running I don't think is a problem, I think with his injury history you could allow for some growth. Pretty good leadership credentials too.
In that case I'm surprised he's not on the list of candidates to be tested prior to the MSD