2016 Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2016 Draft

SCOOP said:
I'm all for the mids. I'd prefer Vickery to walk via FA and trade Vlossy and keep Lids. That would generate two extra draft picks.

If we get these young mids and get them p to scratch by 21, Lids will be 33. Perfect age to play the complimentary forward. I just think he offers too much that we can't let go. We have zero pace, he's one of the only elite kicks. And he deserves to be a Tiger for life. He's also earned the right to walk away and chase a flag if he sees a better alternative.
Couldn't agree more SCOOP. I also think that Lids is one of the few extroverts around the club and pretty vital to morale.

bullus_hit said:
Lids has gone from the most durable player in the competition to one who will routinely miss 4-5 matches a year. To play another 120 games he'll need to be around for 7 seasons, can't see it myself.

Two top 25 picks will set us up for the next rebuild, the aim here is to challenge whilst we still have Riewoldt, Martin, Cotchin & Rance. The clock is ticking so the best strategy is to pick midfielders in the draft, these player types generally require 2-3 years to make an impact. We need to target some key position players in free agency, I would start by picking at the Essendon carcass, Hurley my number one priority.
Astute observation as always. Hurley would be a great acquisition. Would we be bold enough to do this? I have my doubts.

SCOOP said:
I'm with you on Vlossy. Easily should be able to replaced. This draft is full of midfielders. This is the one to get 2 extra picks inside 50 and finally build the midfield. Pure mids.

Not with you on Deledio. We just watched the oldest side ever win a flag, North Melbourne are leading the way with Dad's army, Shaun Burgyone is the model for BD3 to follow and we are in the best era ever of sports medicine and recovery. 30 is the new 25 in football.

If we build the midfield and allow BD3 to be a pure half forward, we can get another 120 games out of him. But if two picks inside 25 were offered, it would be hard to say no.
Burgoyne and Bob Murphy, who is the player most similar (if inferior) to Lids. They are both five years older than Lids.

Let's get two extra picks inside 25, and at least one more inside 50.

Floss, Brando, Vickery could each get us a good pick. Aish went for two picks in the 20s and they're all better than him.

bullus_hit said:
Lids has gone from the most durable player in the competition to one who will routinely miss 4-5 matches a year. To play another 120 games he'll need to be around for 7 seasons, can't see it myself.

Two top 25 picks will set us up for the next rebuild, the aim here is to challenge whilst we still have Riewoldt, Martin, Cotchin & Rance. The clock is ticking so the best strategy is to pick midfielders in the draft, these player types generally require 2-3 years to make an impact. We need to target some key position players in free agency, I would start by picking at the Essendon carcass, Hurley my number one priority.
Another seven seasons would see Lids to 35. I can see it. So what if he plays 18 games a year.

Definitely go hard for Hurley.

SCOOP said:
I'm all for the mids. I'd prefer Vickery to walk via FA and trade Vlossy and keep Lids. That would generate two extra draft picks.

If we get these young mids and get them p to scratch by 21, Lids will be 33. Perfect age to play the complimentary forward. I just think he offers too much that we can't let go. We have zero pace, he's one of the only elite kicks. And he deserves to be a Tiger for life. He's also earned the right to walk away and chase a flag if he sees a better alternative.
Agree, although I think a return to half-back would help his longevity, and along with Yarran turn one of the worst attacking defences into one of the best. (He'll only be 32 when this year's 18-year-olds are 21.)

I'm all for the mids too, although if we could work a deal with GWS involving our first pick and two of say, Tomlinson, Patton and Marchbank, you'd do it and get mids with your later picks.

Who can we trade out and what would we get?

Floss/Brando - pick 20-25, maybe better (see Aish)
Vickery - 15-20, maybe better (see Dixon)
Edwards (I wouldn't trade him) - two picks in the 20s or one around 15
Conca - depends if he gets/stays on the park. Probably 35-50 at this stage.
Griff - see Conca.

A problem is the list cloggers we need to get rid of - Hunt, Morris, Townsend, Elton (all contracted for 2017 so likely to stay), Chaplin, Maric, Hampson, Batchelor, Moore, Astbury.

Unless there is a dramatic shift in policy we are likely to delist the cloggers and not trade out anyone of note.

spook said:
Burgoyne and Bob Murphy, who is the player most similar (if inferior) to Lids. They are both five years older than Lids.

Let's get two extra picks inside 25, and at least one more inside 50.

Floss, Brando, Vickery could each get us a good pick. Aish went for two picks in the 20s and they're all better than him.
Another seven seasons would see Lids to 35. I can see it. So what if he plays 18 games a year.

Definitely go hard for Hurley.
Agree, although I think a return to half-back would help his longevity, and along with Yarran turn one of the worst attacking defences into one of the best. (He'll only be 32 when this year's 18-year-olds are 21.)

I'm all for the mids too, although if we could work a deal with GWS involving our first pick and two of say, Tomlinson, Patton and Marchbank, you'd do it and get mids with your later picks.

Who can we trade out and what would we get?

Floss/Brando - pick 20-25, maybe better (see Aish)
Vickery - 15-20, maybe better (see Dixon)
Edwards (I wouldn't trade him) - two picks in the 20s or one around 15
Conca - depends if he gets/stays on the park. Probably 35-50 at this stage.
Griff - see Conca.

A problem is the list cloggers we need to get rid of - Hunt, Morris, Townsend, Elton (all contracted for 2017 so likely to stay), Chaplin, Maric, Hampson, Batchelor, Moore, Astbury.

Unless there is a dramatic shift in policy we are likely to delist the cloggers and not trade out anyone of note.

Excellent as always Spooky. I'm all for your trade outs and ins.

I'd be happy keeping the list cloggers under contract, you don't really have a huge choice. But if we bring in a bunch of kids and then do the same next year (which reportedly has a truck load of key position players and the term SUPERDRAFT is loosely being attached) and do the same again, well, then your cooking.

Even now, if Rioli, Menadue & Ellis can become good core B+ footballers it will make a huge difference to the way things move.

Stylo said:
Trading Floss is madness.

Doesn't have the tank, that's the reality as I see it. The game's getting faster and has been impacted by less rotations, guys like Vlastuin will notch up 30 touches once in a blue moon. As a flanker he's serviceable but flankers a dime a dozen.

We need to get smart about the state of the game, elite endurance is a must these days, 15 km a match is the benchmark, if budding mids are unable to reach that goal then they're not cut out for the role.

bullus_hit said:
We need to get smart about the state of the game, elite endurance is a must these days, 15 km a match is the benchmark, if budding mids are unable to reach that goal then they're not cut out for the role.

Elite endurance with some composure and skills would be very welcome on our list. So who is the Gaff of this draft year?

bullus_hit said:
Doesn't have the tank, that's the reality as I see it. The game's getting faster and has been impacted by less rotations, guys like Vlastuin will notch up 30 touches once in a blue moon. As a flanker he's serviceable but flankers a dime a dozen.

Vlossey was killing it in the middle last night and then he was moved down back again and we lost the contested ball/centre break.

bullus_hit said:

I wouldn't say his tank is any worse than Dusty's at the same age.

If we got a Top 5 pick, hypothetically, would anyone trade it to GWS for Scully and Tomlinson? I'd do that in a heartbeat personally. We'd need to trade some of our players back into the draft but if thats a trade thats a possibility then I'd do it no problem whatsoever.

If we could then trade back into the 1st / 2nd round with Griffiths, Edwards and Lennon then I'd be all for that.

tigersnake said:
I wouldn't be trading Vlastuin. B Ellis is the one

I'm a flossy fan but if he is never going to have the tank to play mid - maybe he simply can't do the work - then he is replaceable.

Although I like his composure down back.

Sorry not sure who it was or what thread it was , but somebody was talking about the Atley boys an how good they were looking, was talking to a mate of mine who has a fair bit to do with them last night, says the youngest one is a superstar and the middle one is very good

CC TIGER said:
Sorry not sure who it was or what thread it was , but somebody was talking about the Atley boys an how good they were looking, was talking to a mate of mine who has a fair bit to do with them last night, says the youngest one is a superstar and the middle one is very good
I think BT was talking them up last night.

A mate of mine coached juniors at Wodonga a couple of years ago. He said Joe Atley was a freak. A real in and under machine.

Broders said:
A mate of mine coached juniors at Wodonga a couple of years ago. He said Joe Atley was a freak. A real in and under machine.
Jacobs the name of the one my mate reckons is the best, hopefully there both Tigers

mrposhman said:
If we got a Top 5 pick, hypothetically, would anyone trade it to GWS for Scully and Tomlinson? I'd do that in a heartbeat personally.
Ken oath I would,those 2 are exactly what we need 2 players with genuine big tanks.
Scully can run all day and has that burst speed we desperately need & Tomlinson ,well I'll get flamed for this but he'd be the big bodied mid we need - absolute brute in a contest.
Would cost more than just a pick around 5 too,GWS knocked back 11 I think for Tomlinson last year.
tigersnake said:
I wouldn't be trading Vlastuin. B Ellis is the one
Damn straight, Ellis will have value still and is much easier to replace. Vlastuin has something crucial that we shouldn't be letting go - leadership.