2017 Under 18 Champs | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2017 Under 18 Champs

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
The_General said:
This seems petty, but in the HUN earlier in the week they had an "insider" who said that us bidding on academy players would come back to bite us in father and son bidding for Naish.

Our response to that issue was we wanted Hipwood, Kennedy and Rice with the respective picks.

furphy. If a club want him and think he's worth a given pick, they'll make a bid, if they don't they won't. Can't see bids out of spite, would be a dumb move. You don't bid at a house auction when you don't want the house just because you think someone else might get it cheap.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
If we could get two of Balta/Hayes/Worpel plus Naish it would be ideal
Having Naughton and Allen go early would help that

Agree that a bid by an interstate club on Naish is unlikely. Not superfast (3.07?)

So to Bully, Turk and other gurus, who is your preference
Naish v OBrien? If fs wasnt a factor
Worpel v Constable?

Tails

Still Chasing Dreams
Mar 10, 2007
Sydney, Australia
If we get Hayes, Naughton/Allen we will have done extremely well and will have avoided the mistake we made when we didnt take Franklin or Pavlich because we had Richo and he would last forever. If we get a Jack/Rance package for the future we are assured of going for an extended period of success.

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg
Jack Roughsedge for a late pick or a rookie pick. Highest quality of character I've ever come across working in footy, hard, tough, inside. Had a few injuries, but it hasnt affected his running/strength.

mad_tiggy911

Tiger Legend
Mar 30, 2009
With Cellis, Menadue, Markov and Short already on the list Naish isn't a priority even though it is romantic.

Hopefully we get a pick around 40 so we can use junk picks to get him.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
bullus_hit said:
Would be very surprised if he goes under 15, just need to hope another club doesn't play spoiler. The fact recruiters have made housecalls is a warning sign.

Then we let him go to them, they can put two years into him and then we will bring him home, just in time to slot straight into the #6 guernsey.
So Hayes Balta and Naish would be good for us Bully yeah?

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
What about the young Aboriginal boy we have at the Institute that we get first dibs on the boy i think his name is Smith am i mistaken but there were wraps on him could we get him as a rookie?

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
bullus_hit said:
I'm ok with Hayes, think there's a fair chance he develops as a dangerous forward. Kicked 6 in TAC game earlier this year. Clarke likes him too. Balta at 17 would be the icing on the cake. Would also love Worpel late, so many paralells with Graham. As for Hamish Brayshaw, really stiff to be overlooked last year, played hurt in the finals and performed with distinction.

Bully, I would be keen to hear how you differentiate Hayes to Vickery. To me, both skinny talks, more forward than rucks. I also worry that Hayes has a bit of a let the ball come to me approach too.

Maybe I'm just scarred by Vickery but would be keen to hear your thoughts

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
craig said:
What about the young Aboriginal boy we have at the Institute that we get first dibs on the boy i think his name is Smith am i mistaken but there were wraps on him could we get him as a rookie?

Yep, Derek Smith, played 4 VFL games & goes well , smooth mover.

I spoke to him @ JDM, he is hoping he slips through both drafts & we get him as a Cat B rookie essentially

mad_tiggy911

Tiger Legend
Mar 30, 2009
Hayes looks like a dinosaur. Too slow and not agile enough for the modern game.

Already have Soldo on the list.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Hayes a stay away for me. Just see too much Vickery in him and not enough beast.

mad_tiggy911

Tiger Legend
Mar 30, 2009
I like the look of Hunter Clark.

Suits us perfectly IMO. Inside and out, works hard, tough, tackles, quick, good in the air, acceleration and duel sided.

Will he last till 15?

Ceiling is high IMO.

Blind Charlie

Talk is cheap,just do it !
May 20, 2015
Not sure taking Hayes is a good move, surely the Nankervis trade shows you don't draft rucks you trade for them.
Hayes as a forward?
Looks like he's more lumbersome than last year and even though I though he went quite well last year I'd pass on him from a draft view.

Won't be at all surprised to see Ling go a lot earlier than most expect,thoughts?

The one kid I hope we have our eye on is Crowden, he's a cunning pure footballer with a cannon left leg.
If he were 5cm taller we'd be talking about him as a top 5 candidate, well I would be anyway. ;D

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
taztiger4 said:
Yep, Derek Smith, played 4 VFL games & goes well , smooth mover.

I spoke to him @ JDM, he is hoping he slips through both drafts & we get him as a Cat B rookie essentially
Do we still not get the same rorting abilities the Northern Clubs get?

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Blind Charlie said:
Not sure taking Hayes is a good move, surely the Nankervis trade shows you don't draft rucks you trade for them.
Hayes as a forward?
Looks like he's more lumbersome than last year and even though I though he went quite well last year I'd pass on him from a draft view.

Won't be at all surprised to see Ling go a lot earlier than most expect,thoughts?

Agree on Hayes. And I really like Ling. Class, pace and a lovely left foot. Could be a Nathan Wilson type of the back flank. Has great pace but has the step out of traffic that very few have. Maybe a little bit too much like Naish to be on our radar but I’d be ok with him.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
SCOOP said:
Agree on Hayes. And I really like Ling. Class, pace and a lovely left foot. Could be a Nathan Wilson type of the back flank. Has great pace but has the step out of traffic that very few have. Maybe a little bit too much like Naish to be on our radar but I’d be ok with him.

Hayes averaged 1.6 goals at TAC level, still a work in progress but there is scope as a tall forward. Ling is classy but offers little more than Naish. Athletically very similar. For me it's Balta, Allen & Worpel for a perfect trifecta.