2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I'm thinking we need to go hard this year, need to get class through the door so we can have another premiership tilt over the next 3-4 years.

All of these listed have about 3-4 years left in them, Grimes, Prestia, Lynch, Nank (possibly a couple more but depends how bashed up he becomes), Broad, Martin, Pickett, Vlastuin.

This list has less than 3, Cotch, Jack, Edwards, Lambert, Astbury, Houli (the latter 2 may retire this year).

We have a good core, but need to add to their class through the draft and trade, so I'd consider trading our 1st next year too if we can get something good.

I'd trade CJ and our 1sts to either the Giants or GCS for their 1sts. A top 5 mid is essential IMO.

I'd then trade for the Dogs 1st, and also use 1 of these and next years 1st (probably with a 2nd coming back) for Cerra.

I'd also consider Lipinski from the Dogs for a wing spot, need to transition a bit from purely defensive wings to some ball playing through them. I'm not sure what he would cost, could be part of the Dogs 1st pick trade I guess.

Reactions: 1 user

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Matthew Roberts, Josh Ward, Tyler Sonsie, Matthew Johnson, Arlo Draper.

Think Ben Hobbs will be out of our reach.
We need to get that GC pick.

I like Roberts but want to see athletic testing.
Hobbs is the one we need and we need to get either GWS or GC early pick.

Is CCJ worth parting with to get it? I think so.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
What draft range is he expected to fall into?
At this stage second round but he is moving up. If Cal Twomey mentions his name as someone that multiple clubs are looking at, it normally means the prospect has multiple clubs talking.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004

No, I wouldn't unless CCJ asks for it. It's a given Chol walks, we need to keep CCJ if we can.

We can get decent mids at our picks.

Reactions: 3 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

I agree. CJ and Pick 9 for pick 3 (and maybe something back if we are lucky and can sweet talk them) would work. Our top 5 picks are getting old now, Dusty was our last 1 and is now 30 so we need to replenish our mids at the top end of the draft whilst we still have Dusty dominating F50. I think a top 5 mid would be worth more to us than whatever CJ will become.

Reactions: 1 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Whats the knock on Sonsie? Seems to be drifting from the various draft gurus.
Not sure but nothing changes for me. Performed well at VFL level this year, was MVP of the under 16 Vic side and has been ok without spectacular at TAC.

Someone falls every year fro the wrong reasons. Champs will be big for him.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
No, I wouldn't unless CCJ asks for it. It's a given Chol walks, we need to keep CCJ if we can.

We can get decent mids at our picks.

I think we need to do everything we can to get a top 5 mid whilst we can. Its our best chance of being able to remain at the top end of the ladder for a longer period and have a chance to go again with the group that we have in the 27-30 range (who are all good enough to win another premiership).

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
9. Tyler Sonsie
Best position:
General midfield/general forward
Height, weight: 181cm, 76kg
Recruited from: Eastern Ranges
Projected draft range: 3-15
Plays like: Nick Dal Santo
June ranking: 3
Rationale: Sonsie has been among the most erratic performers to open the season with some big games headlined by his 24 disposals and two goals in his VFL match for Box Hill, and then he has had his poor games where he has found little of the ball and had no meaningful influence. His poor performance against Sandringham is his latest below expectation performance with positive moments few and far between before he left the game late with bone bruising to his knee. With Sonsie's inconsistency and the stark difference between his best and worst games, he has been forced down draft boards in favour of others.
Strengths:
Placement of kicks out in front of targets inside 50m to lead up onto
Composure with ball in hand
Decision making under pressure
Burst of acceleration
Line-breaking run
Contested ball winning
Offensively damaging enough to break games open in a matter of minutes
Versatility to impact games both through the midfield and up forward
Inside-outside midfield balance
Scoreboard impact
Weaknesses:
Difference between his best and worst games
Invisible in his worst games
Not a four quarter performer

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Consistency isn't a weakness. It's a prerequisite for being a teenager.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Geez. Some of the lower to mid tier clubs certainly don't have all that much prospective coming in via the draft this year. Looking like Colonwood n the Woofers are going to have to do some fancy footwork finding enough points for Daicos n Darcy this year. Hoping #Lolnorf or Hawforn bid hard n make them pay full value for these F/S kids.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
That would be with GCS right.

I'd also be seeing what the Giants wanted.

3 and 48 for CJ and 9?
Would depend if the kid you'd get at 3 (5 after Daicos and Darcy bids) is substantially better than the kid you'd get at 5 (7). And of course CJ would want a say in where he goes.

I’d probably do that. But only if CCJ wants out.

If he does, I can see it being a three way with Cerra involved.
I think CJ wants to stay but other clubs will offer more $ and a regular game.

Three-way, something like we give GC 9 and CJ, they give Freo 5 and Freo gives us Cerra? That's too much for Cerra for me. I'd give 9, but not CJ as well.