2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
Five picks inside 30 is a win.

What some are failing to realise is that clubs are looking for a points bonus when they trade those early picks for later picks. It's a sign of confidence in this draft that some clubs have paid huge premiums to move up the order.

It points to a great year to have five picks in the top 30

Agree fully,there is 18 clubs which
12 teams get 2 picks in top 30 and
6 clubs get 1 pick in top 30
We have 5 picks in top 28 as it stands.

Reactions: 2 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
We could have played for lipinski and others.
We cannot worry about what we were not apart of.
5 picks is what we need now.
Let's hope we nail it.
We have not been in it this deep for ever.
Who said we should play for Lipinski or those others ? What would we need them for ?

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
Hobbs is definitely the most bankable & the only guy I would put money on to play 100 games. Don't think he'll be the best player from 6-15, I think one of the others with an outstanding feature will rise to the top. In saying that there might be disappointment with some of those upside players, as there is every year, whether that be a failure to lock down a midfield role or simply a player unable to keep up the pace & intensity. Here are my main contenders.

Rachele - Kicking is hugely damaging and when he gets involved there's usually a score, whether that be his own input or a score assist. He's an inside player needing some coaching with regards to his outside game - much easier to do than the other way around. Don't particularly like the Greene comparison because Toby was a mid who became a forward, his tank was also much more evolved. I see Rachele as more of a Robbie Gray type, will probably take just as long but if he does manage to cut it in the centre square he will surely add a silky component. Downside is he never builds the aerobic capacity but not a terrible floor if you consider the importance of Heeney, Gray, Greene etc.

Goater - He's the one with the extreme break away speed so the sky's the limit if he nails down a position in the midfield. Kicking not overly important and he's a much better kick than Dangerfield & Fyfe, it maybe an issue if it's a significant drop below Houli but he's a better kick than McIntosh so the downside doesn't fill me with dread. His leap could also be a serious weapon and I see hangtime written all over him. Fantastic project & a player who you would probably want to throw around the park a bit until he finds his niche. Pretty much needs to be dealt with in a similar manner to Balta and given every opportunity to grow & gain confidence.

Johnson - Elite agility, very good kicking, imposing frame - plenty to like about Johnson and I suspect he'll thrive in an environment supported by elite clearance players. Most will disagree with me but he definitely projects as a dual position prospect given his height & build. All the stuff he needs to work on can be taught, the basics like spoiling & running off his man will come with experience. I don't have his sprint time but I have never viewed him as slow or crab like, he generally puts the team in a better position. Could also be a forward threat if he grows another couple of centimetres.

Erasmus - If you are confident in Colts then he's a star in the making, good overhead, a good turn of speed & dangerous around goals. His height puts him amongst the elite and with a few preseasons he will be strong enough to match it with seasoned players. My only concern is the fact he hasn't been tested at the highest level, the Geelong reserves match illustrated just how far behind he is in matching the physicality. Nothing overly concerning but I would be careful about reading too much into Colts given his Academy preparation puts him at a significant advantage. There could be a bit of foxing going on in the West, there appears to be a fair bit of that occurring all over the country but I'm not entirely sold on Erasmus & would prefer to leave him for our third pick.
Hobbs, Johnson,goater,would be estactic for any 2 for our 7-15.

Reactions: 3 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
CCJ - Future 2nd Round (tied to norf)- evens
Pick 27, - Pick 42, Pick 47, Future 3rd (to Lollingwood)- win to us.
Tarrant- Chol, Future 4th (to norf).- big win to us.

not sure how that makes a clear FAIL.
It was actually Pick 38 (end 2nd Rd pick), 40 (first pick of the 3rd round) and a Future 3rd for Pick 27. I don't mean to be critical but anyone who tries to sell that as a win is kidding themselves

Reactions: 2 users

Tortured Tiger

Junior Development - The Tigers key to success !!
Jan 24, 2005
Well in that case, if “points mean nothing” we should have just given up any amount of picks to get 17 then. Coz, you know, having a DVI system doesn’t really help you evaluate anything when exchanging picks…..it means nothing. MC should have just got it done because as you say Draft pick index values don’t mean anything. No point assigning values on picks. Silly to do so.

Note: you still haven’t given me the courtesy of answering whether an accumulation similar to that used for 27 and what got 17 done, would have been a better outcome. And I’m betting you won’t either.
I didn’t want to bore others any longer. When I finally got your answer on the picks you would if used I didn’t need to say anymore. You wanted to use a pick we didn’t have yet in 38 and a future third the Bulldogs didn’t want as they needed picks this year. The Bulldogs wanted 26 and 28 included in the package which was too much. In theory we could of tried to get any pick and just not 17. In fact we did with pick one. Can we let this go now ?

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
We could have played for lipinski and others.
We cannot worry about what we were not apart of.
5 picks is what we need now.
Let's hope we nail it.
We have not been in it this deep for ever.
yeah. Its about the here and now and whats on the table. I reckon we'll be looking to roll 2 picks into another higher one, could be wrong and it might not happen even if I'm not, but I'm liking the approach.

Points are overrated. Important if you have a gun FS in the offing for sure, otherwise just an indicator, like the Argentinian peso. Just one factor in the negotiations. We might have paid overs if you look at the points, but there are good reasons for that. Considering our situation, which is all that matters, I'd take the deal every day of the week.

Reactions: 3 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Heh heh heh…I know you don’t like our deal with Cwood already but unfortunately, the deal with Cwood today also means that all of St Kikda’s picks move up a bunch of spots. Between that and what they were already moving up with when the Dogs use their picks on matching Darcy, it means that StKikda should have enough points for any Windhager match and maybe for Owens too. At worst they might have a slight deficit and be pushed back on their 2022 third round or fourth round pick.

They have no need to split 9 now it would appear.
Maybe but I still reckon they'll be well short. Both are likely to go between 20 and 35 which mean they are still at least one (maybe 2) 3rd rounders short. There picks in the 60s are only coming in 10 spots at most. Both Bulldogs and Lollingwood will get picks added back in the 40s or 50s as they'll have more points than they need for the bids

Reactions: 1 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I didn’t want to bore others any longer. When I finally got your answer on the picks you would if used I didn’t need to say anymore. You wanted to use a pick we didn’t have yet in 38 and a future third the Bulldogs didn’t want as they needed picks this year. The Bulldogs wanted 26 and 28 included in the package which was too much. In theory we could of tried to get any pick and just not 17. In fact we did with pick one. Can we let this go now ?
You keep raising it ! Sounds like you’re very upset.

Note: we received pick 38 …5 full days BEFORE the Dogs released pick 17 in the four way. (Apology accepted).

Tortured Tiger

Jan 24, 2005
You keep raising it ! Sounds like you’re very upset.

Note: we received pick 38 …5 full days BEFORE the Dogs released pick 17 in the four way. (Apology accepted).
We couldn’t use that pick until the end of free agency and Tarrant was sorted. You are starting to look pretty silly now. I apologise to other readers, this is my last post on the matter but I wanted to prove that it wasn’t as easy to land pick 17 as what some thought.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
No we didn’t, we only got it once the FA window closed.
We couldn’t use that pick until the end of free agency and Tarrant was sorted. You are starting to look pretty silly now. I apologise to other readers, this is my last post on the matter but I wanted to prove that it wasn’t as easy to land pick 17 as what some thought.
The AFL announced on the 1st of October that we would be receiving an end of second round compo slated at pick 38. Bankable. Guaranteed.

That pick can then be used after the FA period closes with an exchange of picks.

The Dogs didn’t have to rush anything. They’re just exchanging picks the transacting of which goes on after the FA period closes on October 8. Fact is, our offer with our guaranteed 38 wasn’t as good as others.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Who said we should play for Lipinski or those others ? What would we need them for ?
No one, and exactly
I was trying to express my feeling about other clubs moves working or not in relation to us.
It looks like we have controlled what we could with aplomb.
5 before 30, my God that's a good result regardless of points.

Tortured Tiger

Jan 24, 2005
No we didn’t, we only got it once the FA window closed.

The AFL announced on the 1st of October that we would be receiving an end of second round compo slated at pick 38. Bankable. Guaranteed.

That pick can then be used after the FA period closes with an exchange of picks.

The Dogs didn’t have to rush anything. They’re just exchanging picks the transacting of which goes on after the FA period closes on October 8. Fact is, our offer with our guaranteed 38 wasn’t as good as others.
How good it be bankable, if we had to take Tarrant as a free agent it would of changed.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane

We had to sort out the Tarrant deal before we could confirm it as available for trade post the FA window. The deal the dogs took might not have been available after that time. Also the deal you proposed we should have offered them did not trump the deal the dogs ended up taking.

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
What is people's thoughts on Jye Amiss and expectations as to where he will fall in the draft? Would you take him with our second pick at #15 (#17) if he was still available?

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
How good it be bankable, if we had to take Tarrant as a free agent it would of changed.
Again, just like your unwillingness to acknowledge that the package we used today could have generated a better outcome ie 17 v 27, you’re also unwilling to accept that if our offer was compelling enough, the Dogs would have waited until October 8 and until FA and anything involving Tarrant was closed. A mere 2 days. But they didn’t - because it just simply wasn’t compelling enough what we were proposing. We got out bid. End of story.

Tortured Tiger

Jan 24, 2005
Again, just like your unwillingness to acknowledge that the package we used today could have generated a better outcome ie 17 v 27, you’re also unwilling to accept that if our offer was compelling enough, the Dogs would have waited until October 8 and until FA and anything involving Tarrant was closed. A mere 2 days. But they didn’t - because it just simply wasn’t compelling enough what we were proposing. We got out bid. End of story.

Tortured Tiger

Jan 24, 2005
Not going back to that again, look it is obvious that you are a trading genius and I bow to your superior knowledge on getting deals done. I will let others make their own minds up, watch out Blair !!

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
What is people's thoughts on Jye Amiss and expectations as to where he will fall in the draft? Would you take him with our second pick at #15 (#17) if he was still available?
Where not drafting someone called Amiss.

• Haha

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Not going back to that again, look it is obvious that you are a trading genius and I bow to your superior knowledge on getting deals done. I will let others make their own minds up, watch out Blair !!
No need to get upset and personal just because based on market transactions and valuations I’ve got a different assessment of today’s trade than you. If it makes you feel better I’ve already said twice now that our overall grade gets a pass mark for the fact the CJ- Tarrant deal was a good one. Stay calm brother.