2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

Tortured Tiger

Junior Development - The Tigers key to success !!
Jan 24, 2005
If we don't get Hobbs, we need to position our 2nds a little higher and get something between 18 and 24 and nab Conor McDonald. I've watched his video a number of times and love him. Reckon he will turn into a gun.

Not sure how we do it, but really think we should.
I agree on Mcdonald he looks to be pretty promising, I slightly favour Ward over Hobbs but if we do miss out on them he is a good option.

Reactions: 1 users

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
If we don't get Hobbs, we need to position our 2nds a little higher and get something between 18 and 24 and nab Conor McDonald. I've watched his video a number of times and love him. Reckon he will turn into a gun.

And this has been my point all along, inside mids can be found in the second round, the difference between Hobbs & McDonald not monumental.

Reactions: 3 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
I just dont get the Hobbs angst. He is a quality midfielder. He is not a half back flanker who we all hope turns into this gun midfielder.

Keep it simple people. If you want a midfielder and he is on the board, you take him.
I wouldn't be against getting Hobbs at #7 (9) but love to see his speed and tank numbers is he the next Worpel ?

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane

Can you please send the link to the video?

Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Twomey thinks the Hawks are keen for pick 2 as well and will try and get it with pick 5 and 21. Apparently Freo have some interest in Mac Andrew so if that is true GWS will probably want pick 3, 4 or 5 in the deal if they are still keen on him.

Good on them, for 3 reasons.

1 - It increases the likelihood of Ward / Hobbs falling to us at 7(9)
2 - It takes out 1 of their 2nd rounders (and reckon they will be looking at similar players to us
3 - The Giants will be looking to trade that Pick 21 as I don't think they have list spots, and they also don't want it in this area as it risks how high a price they need to pay for Fahey (and diminishes the point of them trading to get 2 picks in the 50's (which should be enough to secure Fahey) - I'd trade Norths 1st next year for it, and then look to trade out 1 of our 26,27 or 28 for the Saints 2nd next year

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Perhaps we can hedge our risk of trading our 2022 first if we expect Short to be given offers that would provide band 1 compo? Prob unlikely but band 2 could get us an end of first round pick.
Zac Williams is getting paid $850k a year from Carlton

Same age nearly identical numbers but Short has way better DE%

Not to mention Adam Saad $650k and Carlton had to cough up pick #8

• Wow

Tortured Tiger

Junior Development - The Tigers key to success !!
Jan 24, 2005
Good on them, for 3 reasons.

1 - It increases the likelihood of Ward / Hobbs falling to us at 7(9)
2 - It takes out 1 of their 2nd rounders (and reckon they will be looking at similar players to us
3 - The Giants will be looking to trade that Pick 21 as I don't think they have list spots, and they also don't want it in this area as it risks how high a price they need to pay for Fahey (and diminishes the point of them trading to get 2 picks in the 50's (which should be enough to secure Fahey) - I'd trade Norths 1st next year for it, and then look to trade out 1 of our 26,27 or 28 for the Saints 2nd next year
I thought exactly the same, I don't think it would be a bad thing for us at all.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Callahan looks alright,

but he'd have to be a champ to be better than 2 of Johnson/Sonsie/JVR/Hobbs/etc

IMO.

I'd sell the farm for Horne-Francis, but not Callahan.

But then again, they probably have never played on each other and Callahan may have towelled him?

Lots of guess work and extrapolation this year.

some say a good reason to pick less, I say the opposite.
But I'm not trading our second pick. It's not Callaghan or two of those. It's Callaghan and one of them.

Gia, turk, if we can get a top-10 pick for Shorty I will have to fight Blair Hartley to drive him to his new club.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
But I'm not trading our second pick. It's not Callaghan or two of those. It's Callaghan and one of them.

Gia, turk, if we can get a top-10 pick for Shorty I will have to fight Blair Hartley to drive him to his new club.

so how do you turn pick 7 into pick 2 again?

if you can pull off some kind of footy perpetual motion,

your taking Callahan over Johnson for all intents and purposes.

I wouldn't be outraged, but I wouldnt be doing cartwheels either.

I guess im trying to say, is im happy with the Suzi Quatro.

I think we have a near perfect hand for the context of the draft

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
so how do you turn pick 7 into pick 2 again?

Pick 7(9) and next year's first for pick 2(4) and hopefully GWS' 2022 second (might have to settle for third)...three or four 2022 second-rounders, two of which we could trade to Brisbane for their first to give them more points for Ashcroft and get us back in the first round.

• Dislike

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne

Think you may be under rating him slightly but as a free agent then we will just get what the compo is provided the deal is above $700k a year which would have to be min what it would take to move him.

I think most neutrals would take short over Saad & Williams currently , B & F winner in a premiership year
25 years old and durable player with 6-7 years (5-6) after next year.

He could easily be offered 5 x $750k contract as a free agent

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Think you may be under rating him slightly but as a free agent then we will just get what the compo is provided the deal is above $700k a year which would have to be min what it would take to move him.

I think most neutrals would take short over Saad & Williams currently , B & F winner in a premiership year
25 years old and durable player with 6-7 years (5-6) after next year.

He could easily be offered 5 x $750k contract as a free agent
What would you prefer - pick 8 next year or Short?

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Pick 7(9) and next year's first for pick 2(4) and hopefully GWS' 2022 second (might have to settle for third).

picking players this year is gonna be like trying to buy a colourful cushion cover in Byron Bay.

2022 theres gonna be a plague of likely youth. dont trade out of 2022.

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
What would you prefer - pick 8 next year or Short?
Really depends on which players are available at pick #8 and how our stocks are for that position but at the moment i would take pick 8 not just for the players concerned but the cap space it provided to replenish our KPF stocks.

Stack , Rioli , Mansell might be suitable to take shorts position, Also if we finish top 4 then it might be pick #16 as compo

But short story pick #8

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
I just dont get the Hobbs angst. He is a quality midfielder. He is not a half back flanker who we all hope turns into this gun midfielder.

Keep it simple people. If you want a midfielder and he is on the board, you take him.
I think people need to see more games ,Hobbs is a class inside mid .

Ive liked him for a while ,l think he will turn out a good player,Hobbs,Macdonald,Howes,and Williams ,and with the final pick,lm still trying to compare some of the Vic kp's to the other states ,,l would like Will splann as a rookie,l would of said him in the third or fourth round,but we don't have a pick

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Can you please send the link to the video?

I can't seem to find the video right now. I'll keep looking as its a good one. Finds the ball well, nice burst of speed.

BTW, I saw a lot of Clayton Oliver in what I saw in the video with that burst out of stoppages.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2007

Connor Macdonald

Height 184cm
Weight 77kg
Current Team Dandenong Stingrays
Birthday January 13, 2003

POSITION: Inside Midfielder

SNAPSHOT: “A accumulation inside ball-winner who produced an outstanding season for the Stingrays, able to catch the eye with his stoppage work and athleticism, as well as defensive pressure.”

Connor Macdonald is an inside midfielder with a speedy burst out of congestion and some nice all-round athleticism. With some terrific inside skills, as well as his decision making generally being on-point, it is more about ironing out Macdonald’s kicking and finishing execution than anything else. With the Dandenong Stingrays this year he picked up no less than 24 disposals from his four games, including two matches of 30-plus disposals in what was an outstanding showing of consistency, catapulting himself into draft calculations.

STRENGTHS:

+ Acceleration
+ Stoppage positioning
+ Accumulation
+ Inside game
+ Athleticism
+ Tackling

IMPROVEMENTS:

– Kicking consistency
– Finishing

Macdonald looms as a value pick for an inside midfielder from the second round onwards, given his traits and potential areas of improvement. At home around the stoppages, Macdonald is able to pick the right places to stand to win the ball, with his stoppage positioning among his key strengths. From winning the ball, Macdonald is most effective bursting away and firing off a long handball or flicking one to a teammate in a better position, with his decision making also sound. His burst makes him very hard to contain at the stoppages, and is a first possession player, but can think his way out of a stoppage.

A lot of Macdonald’s ball is won in close, which automatically adds extra pressure to his disposal. When using it by hand, Macdonald is able to effectively open up the game, whilst by foot, he can hit targets, but at times blazes away and can overcook the kick. Within games Macdonald can look to be efficient by foot, and is best when having time and space to utilise his booming kick, but over a full game, the Stingrays midfielder still has strides to make in order to improve that area of his game. Similarly, his finishing when he sets his sights on goal could use some work, kicking 3.7 from his four games and having plenty of chances, but missing more or equal to his successful shots in each NAB League game.

From a defensive standpoint, Macdonald is a fierce tackler whose 12-tackle game against the Rebels perhaps bolstered his average considering he laid seven in the other three games combined. However, he had to go up against the fierce Rebels midfield in that match, whilst had more freedom in the other games. Switching from a defensive to an offensive standpoint, Macdonald has no trouble finding the ball and looking to drive it in transition, being a kick-first player and one who racks up the inside 50s with ease. If he irons out that kicking consistency going forward, he could be a really damaging player in the future.

DRAFT RANGE: 25-40

SUMMARY:

Connor Macdonald is an accumulating inside midfielder who has a nice blend of offensive and defensive traits. At his best, Macdonald is a run and carry player who can pump the ball inside 50 and be a valuable option in transition. His kicking and finishing execution, or finesse if you like, could definitely be ironed out, but from a big picture perspective, the Stingrays midfielder has enough about him to suggest to clubs he can improve and be a potent threat on offence.

Reactions: 4 users

Stylo

Tiger Champion
Oct 13, 2012
I'd be disappointed if in this draft full of outstanding surnames we ended up with Johnson and McDonald tbh

• Haha
  • Love