2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

I'm not disappointed.

He is 186cm. Some on here are saying he's 184.
Cal Twomey had him going at the next pick to Sydney, so clearly he was in the range of picks in most drafts.

We havent got a power running, speedy, good sized half back that runs all day. Bachar retired.
It tells me we like Stack (if he makes it), up forward. We like Liam Baker to help with midfield rotations. And we arent sure about Daniel at half back. Personally, I'd put Daniel up for trade to help us get Taranto next year.

For those saying you dont pick defenders and half backs with 1st round picks, Brisbane picked Wilmot before us and GWS picked Alleer with pick 15.
Melbourne needed 2 1st round picks for Lever didnt they?
He also could easily play wing,seems a perfect fit.

We must be importing those replacements.

I'm of the view you can't import a Dusty.

They must be home-grown if you want them to build long-term mateship and a shared purpose with the rest of the list.

E.g. Trent and Brando.

Maybe next year we can trade up, but it's never easy.

Reactions: 1 users
Two picks in the twenties, I want guarantees & I'd be willing to pay for it. By my reckoning we'll get one of Butler, McDonald, Goater. Howes or Taylor with the pick remaining. That's a very impressive draft.
What do you think of the Brown selection Bully? Yea or nay?

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe. My previous point was that you can't replace a "retired" 33 year old who has ability and experience to read the game with an 18 yer old...

I reckon there's some sort of forward thinking involved.
Grimes only has 1-2 years left. We lost Dave and Bachar. Balta can be shaky at times too.
Vlossy needs help and has had a rough 2 years. Short had a lousy year and needs a kick up the backside - and whilst Mansell cost nothing, he isnt a premiership player I dont think.
We did well to get Tarrant as the cupboard is bare.

These are both high quality backmen picks.

Reactions: 5 users
Im not sure why some here are disappointed really

Super excited and happy with Josh Gibcus , We got a 196cm Best Defender in the draft that was ranked to be drafted at pick 2 or 3 (without FS boys) at pick #9. This was a dream just 2 months ago and people just wanted Hobbs due to positional needs but he does have question marks with parts of his game and thats why he went later.

Tom Brown will be a player
Most here are getting disappointed due to being marked as a HBF but the kid has height 186cm and a build that will develop and has agility and speed and can football. Whilst currently outside and been used off HB dont forget alot of mids get played out of position at junior level and i see him playing between the the HB & Hf with his speed and run

BUT !!!

The best part about this draft and what makes me so excited having the 3 picks 26.27.28 is that so many unexpected players jumped up into the top 20 with 5 players being pushed out.

Campbell Chesser #14 was expected to go 20+ and we had no interest
Leek Alleer #15 totally not in our rankings specially with Gibcus in the bag
Darcy Wilmot #16 also a player expected to go in the 20's and with Brown we have the equivalent
Angus Sheldrick #18 I was hoping may be available later but not expected prior to #30
Kai Lohmann #20 Wow another 30+ expectation

The beauty of all these players jumping up into the top 20 is that its pushed the players that were expected to go higher and most are inside mids which is the area we need and now have choices in an area of need.

Freo - Will go mid probably Johnson
North - Dont need any more mids with JHF/Greenwood/Phillips/Powell last 2 years (small fwd/KPD imo)
Hawks - Will go mid or Def
Cats - Mid
Cats - Ruck
Hawks - Will go mid / Small/med fwd
Carlton - Bazzo/Dean maybe mid

I only see 4-5 mids being taken by the above clubs and will leave us with atleast 5 to select from
Sonsie , Goater , Johnson , McDonald , Knevitt , Butler , Draper , Howes , Taylor

Any 3 of the above combined with Gibcus/Brown is a bloody good haul guys

• Love
Reactions: 26 users
Grimes only has 1-2 years left. We lost Dave and Bachar. Balta can be shaky at times too.
Vlossy needs help and has had a rough 2 years. Short had a lousy year and needs a kick up the backside - and whilst Mansell cost nothing, he isnt a premiership player I dont think.
We did well to get Tarrant as the cupboard is bare.

These are both high quality backmen picks.
Spot on Bob. Those calling for midfield talent in the draft didn't see that the real weakness last year was our defense.

When Vlossy went out injured the whole backline looked vulnerable. Geesook made us look silly a couple of times and the Lollingwood and GC loses sparked by poor defense in the last qtr

Im not sure why some here are disappointed really

Super excited and happy with Josh Gibcus , We got a 196cm Best Defender in the draft that was ranked to be drafted at pick 2 or 3 (without FS boys) at pick #9. This was a dream just 2 months ago and people just wanted Hobbs due to positional needs but he does have question marks with parts of his game and thats why he went later.

Tom Brown will be a player
Most here are getting disappointed due to being marked as a HBF but the kid has height 186cm and a build that will develop and has agility and speed and can football. Whilst currently outside and been used off HB dont forget alot of mids get played out of position at junior level and i see him playing between the the HB & Hf with his speed and run

BUT !!!

The best part about this draft and what makes me so excited having the 3 picks 26.27.28 is that so many unexpected players jumped up into the top 20 with 5 players being pushed out.
agree Turk, great post.

I'd still be stoked to get MacDonald, reckon he will look a steal in a couple of years. Players that know where to be in centre square rotations and have the burst of pace to clear congestion are always valuable.
Carlton said to be keen.

not sure we had a need for a small running defender.
He's as tall as Dermott Brereton.

Matt Clarke's balls are on the line with this draft.

Seven live picks before our three. Let's hope someone grabs Knevitt.

21 Freo. They will be fielding a stack of offers but someone would have to pay up bigtime for them to not take Johnson surely.
22 Norf. They'll also get plenty of offers but having already upgraded to 32 and 37 they'll probably be able to get Motlop with one of those if they're keen. So they get a bonus player here. Butler or Howes is my tip.
23. Hawks. Sonsie. Lock it in.
24. Scats. *Please take Knevitt.* Reckon it's whichever one of Butler or Howes is available.
25. Scats. *Please take Knevitt.* Goater or Bazzo. Goater.
26. Hawf. Draper or Bazzo. Draper.
27. Carlton. MacDonald.
28, 29, 30. Richmond. Murley, Taylor, Clarke, Jones, Fejo, Bazzo, WIlliams, Soligo, Hough left to choose from. *Please don't take Knevitt.*

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Reckon you’re pretty much right with these predictions. Unfortunately McDonald (who most fits our needs) has been heavily linked with Carlton and I reckon Hawthorn will go Howes. Butler, Goater and Taylor would then be good options for us, but I suspect we’ll trade one pick out and use another on someone like Soligo.

The ideal would probably be to get North’s 22 for two of our picks and a later one back and use it on Sonsie, then use our remaining 20’s pick on Butler and the later pick on Soligo.
I cant see Hawthorn picking Sonsie at all.
They just picked Ward. They have Mitchell, O'Meara, Wingard, so many similar types to Ward.

These picks will finally free Lids to move into the midfield...

In all seriousness i have no problem with brown over a midfielder if it was best availible..
I'm hoping with our last 3 picks we end up with 2 mids and a forward of some sort...

Reactions: 3 users
What do you think of the Brown selection Bully? Yea or nay?
I think in isolation it's a good pick, there were three flankers who were in that 15-30 bracket who look like safe bets, Brown was one so I think we're still on track for 3 core players. Did we pay overs? I guess it depends on what follows from here. If we can manage to get Sonsie or Johnson then I reckon we've closed out the deal. If we miss all the gun mids including Goater, McDonald & Taylor then I reckon we've misread the draft entirely.

Reactions: 8 users
Surprised also with Brown, but I don't think he will be a bust so will be a good pickup but yeah agree midfield is a big weakness at the moment.

We probably should temper expectations until we see who our 4 or 5 draftees are as a collective.

I'd still be stoked to get MacDonald, reckon he will look a steal in a couple of years. Players that know where to be in centre square rotations and have the burst of pace to clear congestion are always valuable.
I don’t think Brown will be a bust either. He should be a good player. Just think that he doesn’t help fix a deficiency in our list structure and there were better options like Johnson available.

But maybe Brown can become a mid? Let’s hope so.

We had three or four wildcard picks in the top 20.

Trying to figure out the next ten is like herding Cats.

Reactions: 2 users
This tomorrow waiting bit ,hell it's
*smile* ing torture, *smile*, pricks, *smile* suckers.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah think we'll have to trade to get one of Johnson or Sonsie.

27 and 28 should get it done you reckon?

then we take one of Mcdonald, butler, ronny,

would round out a very good haul.

My Ideal: Gibcus, Brown, Sonsie, McDonald + Rookie Ronny

If we manage to pull off Sonsie and MacDonald I'll be stoked. If its Butler and MacDonald, again very happy but I feel we need 1 of these groups. The 3rd player we take is flexible for mine.