2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Hmm, not big on watching lower level footy so rely a lot on the comments here.

But, looks to me like we drafted: speed, toughness and disposal accuracy.

Seems a decent haul on that basis and while we have had speed and toughness, we really needed some of that disposal accuracy.

Here's hoping they all turn out well and some of the players we have had for the last few years (starved of opportunities to even play games in a lot of cases) can step up.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013
Heres a round of applause to the many watchers of juniors, were nearly at 500 pages, certainly made the draft much more intersting for me who lives abroad and has no idea on kids.. Special shout out to Bully, Scoop, KK, Turk, Red and a few others... Great work guys and appreciate all your answers to many questions.

Lets Hope this is a good haul, Go Tige's!!!

Reactions: 29 users
Feb 25, 2007
Blues get an A for taking one player in Motlop LOL
Same as GC with Andrew

Only 4 teams got A+, Tigers, Freo, Eagles and Dees (sorry but no hope Dees 3 picks get you an A+, Jacob Van Rooyen (19), Blake Howes (39), Taj Woewodin (65)

Eagles did ok with Bazzo and Williams and Chesser but that's not an A+ haul
The hawks got Ward, Butler and MacDonald and were given a grade of A (i thought they did better than both the Eagles & Dees).

RICHMOND

Picks (at the start of draft): 7, 15, 26, 27, 28, 79

Selections: Josh Gibcus (9), Tom Brown (17), Tyler Sonsie (28), Sam Banks (29), Judson Clarke (30)

The Tigers nailed a terrific spread of player types with their juicy draft hand. They used their two first-round picks to address their defensive stocks, with Gibcus and Brown both strong intercept players. Although the Tigers could use Gibcus as a forward next year — a prospect some recruiters believe would work well. Sonsie could be anything. On talent alone, the midfielder was arguably a top-five talent in this year’s draft class, but slid due to a lack of continuity in a Covid-interrupted season. If it clicks for him at the Tigers though, he could be a genuine AFL star. Banks gives the Tigers great dash and versatility, while Clarke is a typical Tigers draftee: A small forward that can apply pressure and play a role. Although Clarke has ample tricks and an innate, mercurial goal nous. Big ticks for the Tigers.

Grade: A+

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Williams is slower than Redford on a Sunday morning.

Well you’d know about slow given your record on backing horses.

He actually has good off the mark pace that helps him get reasonable separation. Sure he is not going to chase down a lot of rebounding defenders, but we are talking about a kid at 95kg taken pick 57 in the draft.

Solid I reckon.

Reactions: 2 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
We got a top five pick, a top 10 pick, a top 20 pick. That’s a win. We added elite foot skills and pace. Tremendous crop.
I am happy with the mix personally, i know pre Draft most of us wanted all mids etc but we have them & the Club is backing them in & i am backing in their judgement. Surely Ross plays as an inside mid finally & early reports from training suggest RCD is taking the next step. Balta & Gibcus or the next decade is going to be super exciting & hopefully we can nab a decent KPF or 2 next yr. I not sure if we have any spots for a new rookie tm so we'll see what happens.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Might have our hooks into someone agreed might not be Green but looks likely that we are probably into someone.

They are hoping for Riley to level up this coming season and Stacky also.

If Stack and Riley impact the side and footy next year we are in front I reckon
Generally you need 2/3 kids to step up each yr. At the end of the day we, like everyone else need our kids to take the next step or we'll go backwards regardless

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
Generally you need 2/3 kids to step up each yr. At the end of the day we, like everyone else need our kids to take the next step or we'll go backwards regardless
The likes of RCD, Ross, Martyn, & Dow need to show a fair amount of improvement this season by not only pushing for a regular spot but contribute in a meaningful way, otherwise it will embarrass the list management of the club. The pressure is on especially off the back of this draft

Reactions: 3 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Heres a round of applause to the many watchers of juniors, were nearly at 500 pages, certainly made the draft much more intersting for me who lives abroad and has no idea on kids.. Special shout out to Bully, Scoop, KK, Turk, Red and a few others... Great work guys and appreciate all your answers to many questions.

Lets Hope this is a good haul, Go Tige's!!!
x2! many thx to all involved. Helps ppl like me with 0 idea on draftees have at least a basic idea of who we get etc.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
The likes of RCD, Ross, Martyn, & Dow need to show a fair amount of improvement this season by not only pushing for a regular spot but contribute in a meaningful way, otherwise it will embarrass the list management of the club. The pressure is on especially off the back of this draft
Needs to start from next yr but doesn't have to be next yr for all of them, we need 2 of them to step up next yr. IMO no VFL has really hurt the developement of these guys. Even if they all did step up we can't play them all next yr anyway.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
let's hope he can perform in big games & also when not getting he ball out the back. J.Cameron a bit the same, must be the surname
They're pretty hit or miss but if you throw your hat in the ring enough you eventually get an A grader, skills no problems however so plenty to work with. I think I'd still target the midfield if we plan on using a rookie pick, Browne, Dittmar & Long all worthy considerations.

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013

Lets hope RCD, Dow and Ross contribute more for sure, lets also hope we have less injuries to Dion, Titch, Cotch etc... This draft as others have said is not going to win us a flag in 2022, hopefully a few contribute.. Leppa said it best, you draft for 5 years ahead...

Reckon TBR should work on sorting data on PRE best junior watchers and do 5 yr retrospective draft picks (picks in before comencement)... not to name and shame but it would be interesting and add another element to PRE?. rehash at the start of each draft to see who of the junior watchers are doing well historically... Thoughts?

Reactions: 1 users

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
I’ve been busy , and know very little about these kids ,

So by reading the comments here , we have done pretty well yeah ?

Puntrd64

Tiger Superstar
Apr 2, 2005
With the draft now done and dusted I'd like to add my thanks and admiration to those posters who have done and shared all their homework and opinions with the unknowing majority.
It has made this draft especially interesting.
Salute!

Reactions: 21 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
how many rookie spots do we have?

One of the most noteworthy points of Richmonds draft haul is,

Clarkey left his crazy routine at home. he's played % drafting.

No bolters, No Queenslanders, No crazy kids with a dream.

what was billed as the most unpredictable draft ever,

I reckon turned out the total opposite.

we ticked almost all my boxes; A KPP; a Tasmanian; someone who had Trent Cotchin wallpaper in their bedroom; a rough head

two more boxes to tick in the rookie and the supplementary; a black fella, a ruckman

and its the perfect draft haul and should be entered into textbooks and taught to kids in primary school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

Mac

Tiger Champion
Sep 16, 2003
question for those in the know - there seems to be (in addition to other skills and characteristics) a focus on running ability with our draft picks. Speed, agility and I think I recall endurance spoken about a few times.

Is this preparing for an anticipated reduction in interchange rotation? Dimma spoke a few times on how the game is changing and one of those changes was maintaining possession - this requires a hard running team to continually create space. Good teams will have to have plenty of big tank players.

Reactions: 2 users