2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

The biggest cheat code for list hacking is to attract a ready made A Grade Power forward.

What we did to get Lynch as a free agent, is worth 5 first round draft picks.

It means we spend no draft picks, and save 5 years of development.

It needs to be done again end 2022

Nudge nudge, wink wink..............Darcy Moore

Reactions: 1 user
After the preliminary finals on the weekend it's more apparent than ever that pace, class and ball use is the new "IT" thing in football. But really it always has been.

The Dogs and Dees show that you need 10-12 running through the midfield and smart users on the outside. It's more obvious than ever that is what we need to draft this year.

Spook has been pushing it and I'm with him, pace and class. Even with this, I still have Ben Hobbs in the mix for our first pick. All of the sides on the weekend also had two beasts on the inside. Dogs- Libba, Bont. Melbourne- Oliver, Petracca, Power - Wines, Drew, Boak - Cats- Danger, Selwood. Our leading clearance player the is year is Nank with 4.3, Prestia with 4.22 and Cotch with 4. We are desperate for another midfield bull to go with the next generation. RCD is our best bet to form part of that inside army. If Hobbs is gone, Ward is 1a for me.

Reactions: 5 users
After the preliminary finals on the weekend it's more apparent than ever that pace, class and ball use is the new "IT" thing in football. But really it always has been.
dont forget toughs and ticker. non-negotiable.

Rohan and Motlop both have pace, class and ball use to burn.

Reactions: 4 users
I remember writing on here before 2017 that the way the game and rules were going, what was needed
for success was a full ground compliment of mids, plus 5 talls ie a ruck ,two back and two forwards.
The newer rules are designed for continuous action and run, but good ball use is needed now with the Stand call,
and so too are two big forward targets to combat deeper defence.
Winning the ground ball and running and skilled delivery is the key, combined with big targets.
Obviously there are variations.
So, yes to mids and more mids, with pace please.
But also we badly need a key tall back and one forward in the near future...CCJ can be the forward.

Reactions: 1 users
Reading this thread, we basically need most positions and every attribute.

I reckon we are pretty right for Ruckmen as our list stands.

Nank, Ivan, Mabs, CCJ, Sampson, Mate

that's 15% of our list?

I reckon Gold Coast might give us Pick 3 and Matt Rowell?
Doubtful just for Chol. Maybe if we include Garthwaite, Aarts and Naish. Then they would be getting 4 players. If they demand a draft pick we could give them back there 3rd round pick as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Hobbs, Amiss, Ward- 1st pick
VanRooyen, Johnson, Roberts, Goater- 2nd pick.
Goater’s class and skill would not be wasted by playing him in the backline. Wing, midfield or half forward best positions. Has all the tools. Class footballer throughtout his junior football at every level.
Paul Curtis another with Class. Pure footballer with uncanny knowledge of where the ball is going. Goal kicking forward/midfielder. Wouldn’t mind if we got him with our 4th pick 28(30).

For me, Ward, awesome player. Perfect centre mid replacement for Dion, great leadership qualities too.
But Ward will be gone before our 1st pick I think - Hawks will pick him up;, has family ties there and they'll try and trade Mitchell anyway. Gee I hope we can get the GC pick 3, I'd take him with that.
Just my opinion, I know ppl say Hobbs v Ward. But for me, Hobbs is a little similar to Jack Graham. Reckon we can afford to pass on him given JG is still young.

The other player I really rate is Sinn. Don't understand how bad the injury issue was and how it can affect the rankings for him, but he's got footy smarts, class and speed. I totally rate him as a player. Maybe not at 3. And will be gone before our next pick.

Reactions: 2 users
We go in with picks 7, 15, 26, 28, 40 and 44. Caddy heads for North Melbourne for chips back, but Chol also heads North as an unrestricted free agent, with a sufficient salary increase to give us a compensation pick at the end of round 2.

Collingwood who are in full rebuild mode need points for Dacos who will go at one. They don't have their first or second and are unable and not willing to trade next years.
Coming in here we will offer our Chol pick plus 40 and 44, (equivalent points value pick 13), for Darcy Moore who will jump at the chance to become a Richmond man.

CJ will be traded to GC probably for picks 19 and 22 and possibly for a pick up grade of our 7 to their 3, (Ward)?

Pickett will be traded to West Coast for Petruccelli.

We would then come out with Moore and Petruccelli and take picks 3, 15, 19, 22, 26 and 28 to the draft.

If the Moore trade does not eventuate, we will offer pick 15 and others for Tim Taranto.
We can't afford both.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
For me, Ward, awesome player. Perfect centre mid replacement for Dion, great leadership qualities too.
But Ward will be gone before our 1st pick I think - Hawks will pick him up;, has family ties there and they'll try and trade Mitchell anyway. Gee I hope we can get the GC pick 3, I'd take him with that.
Just my opinion, I know ppl say Hobbs v Ward. But for me, Hobbs is a little similar to Jack Graham. Reckon we can afford to pass on him given JG is still young.

The other player I really rate is Sinn. Don't understand how bad the injury issue was and how it can affect the rankings for him, but he's got footy smarts, class and speed. I totally rate him as a player. Maybe not at 3. And will be gone before our next pick.
Trading up becomes crucial.

If it means losing CCJ as collateral damage then I am ok with that.

Reactions: 2 users