2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

I don’t really understand the fine mechanics of points etc but do North make Collingwood and Footscray earn Darcy and Daicos by bidding on both of them? Or is that considered poor form?
As a football club, you would be negligent not bidding on the best available talent at your pick. It’s not about keeping other teams honest.
You never know your luck.

Reactions: 4 users
I don’t really understand the fine mechanics of points etc but do North make Collingwood and Footscray earn Darcy and Daicos by bidding on both of them? Or is that considered poor form?
Considered extremely poor form by the clubs wanting the best juniors for virtually nothing. Simply keeping the bastards honest as far as everyone else is concerned.
Clubs with looming elite father son selections are more than happy to fudge trade their early selections so they can get premium juniors for junk picks, yet bleat n moan when other clubs make them earn their selections.

Reactions: 1 users
How many spots to we actually have? I can’t see us using all 6 picks. I think we will package a couple of those picks up.
Unless we can trade picks / players combo into premium early picks. We'd be crazy not to use all 6 picks, two retirements already n it wouldn't be that hard to trim four fringies off the list. We barely considered last years draft to ensure we got the opportunity to look properly at a cluster of promising youngsters tucked away behind the constant finals group. Perfect timing to give the list a quick sweep n take the strongest hand possible to the draft.

Unless we can trade picks / players combo into premium early picks. We'd be crazy not to use all 6 picks, two retirements already n it wouldn't be that hard to trim four fringies off the list. We barely considered last years draft to ensure we got the opportunity to look properly at a cluster of promising youngsters tucked away behind the constant finals group. Perfect timing to give the list a quick sweep n take the strongest hand possible to the draft.
So far we have lost;
Houli
Astbury
Naish

That’s only 3.

We still have these players unsigned from our primary list

Chol
Stack
CCJ
Miller
Garthwaite

Maybe 2 of those 5 won’t be there next year.

Reactions: 1 user
Reckon we take 5 picks, we will bundle up some for sure.

It’s an impressive haul to build from.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm struggling to see where Collingwood & Bulldogs get the points to match early bids, without trding out future firsts for heaps of seconds and thirds this year. I can't see too many clubs giving them a hand either, without absolutely bending them over.
Without knowing points value of 28, 40 & 44, could theybe offerded to Collingwood for 2022 first? Or are Collingwood required to keep this pick, as they traded out of this year?
Likewise, same three for Lipinksi or Richards from the Bullies, with next years second & third coming back? Teams with picks this year hold the whip hand in these negotiations.

We still have these players unsigned from our primary list

Chol
Stack
CCJ
Miller
Garthwaite

Maybe 2 of those 5 won’t be there next year.
Stack is the only one I would keep.
Possibly keep Miller for depth?
Happy to move on both Chol and CCJ for incoming picks.
Cumberland & Biggy Nyuon also unsigned
Would be keeping both of these kids

I'm struggling to see where Collingwood & Bulldogs get the points to match early bids, without trding out future firsts for heaps of seconds and thirds this year. I can't see too many clubs giving them a hand either, without absolutely bending them over.
Without knowing points value of 28, 40 & 44, could theybe offerded to Collingwood for 2022 first? Or are Collingwood required to keep this pick, as they traded out of this year?
Likewise, same three for Lipinksi or Richards from the Bullies, with next years second & third coming back? Teams with picks this year hold the whip hand in these negotiations.
Collingwood don't need that many points. If Daicos is bid on at 1, then they need 2400 points to match, they have 1707 at the moment, so they need somewhere around 700 points. If they get around 600 I think they would be happy, expecting their 1st won't be impacted too much by a 100 negative point deficit. Its why I would be all over trying to swap 1 of our 2nds with the 2022 2nd. We bank on them being poor again next year (potentially even getting a top 20 pick out of it).

I think they are expecting to take Daicos with their 1st, then a couple late in the draft. They are being linked with other players that will be traded for future picks I would assume. I suspect the Pies may take 1 or 2 picks into the SSP / mid season draft, hence they can take picks for these list spots to the draft but not fill them.

The Dogs (again assuming a Pick 1 bid (though more likely to be 2 or 3), they also need 2400 points, they only have 1044 points so are massively exposed to that high bid. I don't think they were expecting Darcy to be going this high last year, which is why they focused so much on JUH. I suspect they will be trying to trade a few players out and get extra picks this year. I suspect they will be heavily involved in pick trades this year in order to trade their point value up. If Darcy gets a bid at 3 (more likely I think than Pick 1) then the Dogs need just under 1800 points which they should be able to achieve. Depending on the volume of empty spots on their list, they may be open to trading their 1st down where I think we should jump at it.

We have a possible trade if we get a 3rd round compo pick for Chol leaving (I'm suspecting he is leaving, probably to the Suns), then I'd look at packing 40, 44 and 45 up for the Dogs 1st round pick. They would gain 113 points from that. They could fill the balance with either trades out this year (maybe Wallis leaving, Lipinski - though he looks like going to the Pies which will be for future picks, or there could be someone else). They would need a mid 2nd and would then have enough points for Darcy. Similar to the Pies, I suspect they may go to the draft with more list spots than they actually fill, maybe also taking some list spots to the SSP / mid season draft.

If we could do something like above, we might end up with, 7, 15, 17, 28 and have an additional 2nd next year (Collingwoods). This is the type of thing I suspect we look at doing this year.

If Pickett leaves for West Coast, then I'd hope we'd look at them as draft pick changes too. Maybe something like 10 and 35 for 17, 28 and Pickett.

Leaves us with 7, 10, 15 and 35 for this year.

Reactions: 3 users
I'd be putting next years 1st on the table too, has more worth now than it will in 12 months time.

Yep suggested similar, Saints pick this year is the 1 I'd be after. They still have that romantic vision they can get Ben King. They would need 2 first rounders next year to even be let in the door. Pick 9 for next years 1st would be a good option for us, back ourselves in to make the finals next year.

We’ve got a very good draft hand but can’t help but feel jealous of Bulldogs.
Father and son factory and then you throw in an academy zone talent like Ugal Hagan.
And they are now a realistic chance to win this years flag.
Not bad for a minnow club with no membership.
Apparently our academy hopeful is a late draft pick where we have to compete with Essendon because his dad Lovet Murray played over 100 games there.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
  • Angry
Reactions: 1 users
Yep suggested similar, Saints pick this year is the 1 I'd be after. They still have that romantic vision they can get Ben King. They would need 2 first rounders next year to even be let in the door. Pick 9 for next years 1st would be a good option for us, back ourselves in to make the finals next year.

We would have to add a sweetener IMO

I'd be putting next years 1st on the table too, has more worth now than it will in 12 months time.

Is this years draft pool worthy of sacrificing all for though? Don't think so, I'd be wanting to keep our future picks or even add to them.
Anyway all options open to the recruitment team so no excuses in not making the next 2 draft/trade periods count.

No way I'd be trading next year's first. Everything could go tits-up again and we've given away a top-5 pick a la Collingwood. Even if we bounce back, next year is supposed to be loaded with KPPs. I'd hate the next Jack Riewoldt to be drafted with a pick we gave away.

It's so even this year after the first handful. Maybe trade up if we can, but we already have a good enough hand. We don't need to weaken next year's hand to improve it.

Reactions: 10 users