2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
yeah I know its crazy talk.

hypothetically, if your were sure Jason Horne was a 250 game star mid,

you'de offer CCJ, 7 and 15

for No.1, wouldnt you?
Yes I would. Reminds me of the time Swans tried to get pick 3 off us in Dustys draft year. They through a double pick our way. We rightly told them to get stuffed.

I suspect Norf do the same.

Reactions: 3 users

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Best we can hope for to add some leverage is for another club like St.Kilda to come to the party and offer their 2nd next year.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley

Some real interesting prospects talked about in the video. All to be available around picks 15 - 25.

Chesser is the interesting one. Was touted as top 10 pick before the season started. However injuries and then cancellation of the season has seen him fallen. One to watch with our Geelong pick

15. Campbell Chesser​

Midfielder/defender
186cm/83kg
27/4/03
Sandringham Dragons/Vic Country

Chesser is an attacking player who moves well, kicks long and plays with energy. The mobile midfielder has also been used off half-back and on the wing at stages and has shown he can impact games with his kicking and run. A knee injury has bugged him this season, seeing him go in for surgery earlier this year and cause some more disruption but if games get back for Victorian prospects the 18-year-old, who is considered one of the most solid characters in the group, will be ready to hit the ground running.

18. Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera​

Midfielder
187cm/69kg
22/2/03
Glenelg/South Australia

One of the best kicks in the draft. You want the ball in Wanganeen-Milera's hands because his capacity to find a teammate with a long or short kick is as good as any in the pool, often perfectly weighting his passes. Wanganeen-Milera is a wingman who can also play off the flanks at either end and his size and shape makes him a modern prototype. The nephew of Essendon and Port Adelaide great Gavin Wanganeen and son of former Saint Terry was his side's best player in its opening championships game against Western Australia with a poised display. One who could spike late.
The way the game is going, i think kids who can hit a target over distance are going to be a premium.

If you look at the Demons and the Dogs, they have gone more towards a kicking game (kick to handball ratio). Geelong's chip style i guess at times can look like a kicking game, but i'm talking about long accurate kicks that get the ball into your forward line before the flood is on. We did it in the last round agaisnt the Hawks and came up with a draw despite having a VFL midfield in place.

I guess it's the kicking version of our forward handball game.

With the putrid standing rule in place, and teams flooding back to compensate, it seems the best way to score is to not f*%k arse around with the ball and move it through the air as much as possilbe instead of at ground level. A couple of small forwards that can run up and down the ground very quickly and get goal side would be the cream on the cake, i guess like the Butlers and Castagna's and Rioli's were doing in 2017. We used to kick a lot of goals from the goal square with no opposition within 20m. We did that numerous times in the Brisbane games of 2018. They were pathetic at stopping us from streaming through the middle and kicking goals from point blank range.

Melbourne also seem to form a ring around the area of the 45 degree side kick, forcing the player to go over the stationery man on the mark.

Personally i think we are well set up to basically do the same thing, with Rioli and Stack coming off half back. We just need to be switched on as the Demons have been to stop the corridor kick. Frankly, i think we knew what we had to do defensively but we were too cooked to do it. As for the forward kicking style, i think we can adapt to that pretty easily with the right recruiting and with what's already on our list.

Reactions: 8 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
What do the Football club need more than anything
1 - Young CHF to replace Jack
2 - Young tall defender
3 - Midfield

I think our first pick should be the best CHF available and trade for the midfielder we need.
Totally agree re priorities but don’t think there is a CHF good enough at our first pick.
Unless Andrew is a CHF/FF?
I don’t know enough about him but on face value appears a forward/ruck combo like CCJ and that position is not pressing enough.
So for me it Gibcus if available with our first. Then midfielder and then a tall like Van Rooyen or Williams.

*Try to trade down to get Andrew if we think we can snag him with Geelong’s pick and we think he’s a KP forward prospect.

** We grab a Taranto end of 2022 when Cotchin or Co retire as no midfielder we pick this draft will be developed enough to make a significant impact in season 2022. Meanwhile we get a year’s development into a couple of young talls whilst we hold the fort

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Blind Charlie

Talk is cheap,just do it !
May 20, 2015
Totally agree re priorities but don’t think there is a CHF good enough at our first pick.
Unless Andrew is a CHF/FF?
I don’t know enough about him but on face value appears a forward/ruck combo like CCJ and that position is not pressing enough.
So for me it Gibcus if available with our first. Then midfielder and then a tall like Van Rooyen or Williams.

*Try to trade down to get Andrew if we think we can snag him with Geelong’s pick and we think he’s a KP forward prospect.

** We grab a Taranto end of 2022 when Cotchin or Co retire as no midfielder we pick this draft will be developed enough to make a significant impact in season 2022. Meanwhile we get a year’s development into a couple of young talls whilst we hold the fort
When I originally watched the Wav SA U19 game I was keen to see a couple of forwards (Van Rooyen & Lukac)
Was left surprised but in a good way I guess as seeing JVR in the backline showed he's more than capable at defending & Lukac playing well in the ruck.
I actually thought JVR showed some real mongrel playing as defender so that was a tick.
People might think I'm mad but that game I saw a touch of U18 Rance in JVR.
Played hard but at times it was the odd kick that let him down.

Reactions: 1 users

eddazol

Tiger Superstar
Sep 22, 2014
It would but they won't get it, would be dismissed pretty quickly you'd think Nth haven't been cellar dwellers long enough.
Besides they decided to rebuild by getting rid of players like Ben Brown

Reactions: 1 users

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
Picks 26 28 40 44 need to be used on some zippy hard nosed half forwards. Kane Lambert types. We've lost our way a bit in this area. Melbourne have a good bunch in Harmes, Spargo, Sparrow, Pickett that apply pressure, and swoop on fwd line ground balls. This was our main point of difference.
No need to panic we have FArts and George to play that role :oops:

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
Yes I would. Reminds me of the time Swans tried to get pick 3 off us in Dustys draft year. They through a double pick our way. We rightly told them to get stuffed.

I suspect Norf do the same.
If there was a year not to do it,it is this,Sonsie,Ward with more footy could easily have gone top 5 and there talent hasn't changed,only their opportunities.