2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
Can't see GWS grabbing Callaghan seeing that they have a plethora of mids already.

You would think they go with one of Gibcus, Mac Andrew or Amiss.

Reactions: 1 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I think this might be the ideal trade / draft scenario of what we know right now.

This is our current list profile.
1631851134142.png

2 retirements - Houli and Astbury
2 Trades out - Chol and CCJ
3 delistings - Naish already done, I've added Garth and Egg

I think with our cap we will likely try and maintain the higher number of rookie picks, which means we can only have 36 on our main list and then have 6 rookies (max list size is 42).

Current draft picks - 7, 15, 26, 28, 40, 44

Chol - FA to GC - Compo pick 45 received

North - CCJ and 26 for 20 and 38. Equivalent points is 29. We know it is unders but we will need to take it IMO

Bit of a complicated trade with the Dogs and Pies.

Tiges - In Picks 17, Pies 2022 2nd and Dogs 2022 3rd Out - Picks 28, 38, 40, 44 and 45

Dogs - In Picks 28, 38 and 40 Out - Picks 17 and 2022 3rd, Lipinski
Gain points in 2021 of 546 - can now match a bit on Darcy at Pick 4-5 with no penalty in 2022

Pies - In Picks 44 and 45, plus Lipinski Out 2022 2nd
Gain points in 2021 of 709 - can now match bids on Daicos up to Pick 1

Tiges end up with Picks 7, 15, 17 and 20 with 2 extra picks in 2022 (Pies 2nd and Dogs 3rd).

That would take us to 35 on the main list, add Talia and we are at 36. Can still pick up 1 in the rookie draft, unless we wanted to delist anymore or trade any further players.

Reactions: 8 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Can't see GWS grabbing Callaghan seeing that they have a plethora of mids already.

You would think they go with one of Gibcus, Mac Andrew or Amiss.
GWS have almost no ruck brigade. Mac attack for them to sort the line term problem out?

Reactions: 1 user

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
I think this might be the ideal trade / draft scenario of what we know right now.

This is our current list profile.
View attachment 13568

2 retirements - Houli and Astbury
2 Trades out - Chol and CCJ
3 delistings - Naish already done, I've added Garth and Egg

I think with our cap we will likely try and maintain the higher number of rookie picks, which means we can only have 36 on our main list and then have 6 rookies (max list size is 42).

Current draft picks - 7, 15, 26, 28, 40, 44

Chol - FA to GC - Compo pick 45 received

North - CCJ and 26 for 20 and 38. Equivalent points is 29. We know it is unders but we will need to take it IMO

Bit of a complicated trade with the Dogs and Pies.

Tiges - In Picks 17, Pies 2022 2nd and Dogs 2022 3rd Out - Picks 28, 38, 40, 44 and 45

Dogs - In Picks 28, 38 and 40 Out - Picks 17 and 2022 3rd, Lipinski
Gain points in 2021 of 546 - can now match a bit on Darcy at Pick 4-5 with no penalty in 2022

Pies - In Picks 44 and 45, plus Lipinski Out 2022 2nd
Gain points in 2021 of 709 - can now match bids on Daicos up to Pick 1

Tiges end up with Picks 7, 15, 17 and 20 with 2 extra picks in 2022 (Pies 2nd and Dogs 3rd).

That would take us to 35 on the main list, add Talia and we are at 36. Can still pick up 1 in the rookie draft, unless we wanted to delist anymore or trade any further players.

I would like to say I'm a bit jealous of you blokes who can get their heads around points and stuff and futures etc.... quite frankly it makes my brain hurt...

Ohh for the good old days when half a dozen Pelaco shirts for the boy, flowers and choccies for mum and a couple of cartons of Craven A for the old man, would have the young fella on the next train to town!

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
This is what we want, even one of Mac Andrew or Draper jumping into the top 8 which would allow a slider to reach us at pick 9
This always happens. Not saying its one of those guys but there are always unexpected picks taken early.

Ripplestick

Tiger Champion
Jan 18, 2007
Anyone remotely close to an Aaron Naughton / Jack Reiwoldt fearless pack marker in this draft?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
Can somebody post Williams,van rooyen, jye Amiss strengths and weaknesses ,that has been done seeming we are almost certainties to want at least one,thank you in advance.

Feb 25, 2007
Can somebody post Williams,van rooyen, jye Amiss strengths and weaknesses ,that has been done seeming we are almost certainties to want at least one,thank you in advance.

Here are a few different write-ups on them.

10. Jye Amiss (East Perth)

Arguably the best key forward in the open draft at 195cm. Amiss kicked a WAFL colts season-high 51 goals this season — the most by a player in that competition since 2015. Just as impressively, he only kicked 14 behinds, proving he’s a dead-eye in front of goal in an AFL era where there aren’t a lot of accurate shooters. Amiss also ranked second in the WAFL colts for contested marks (3.0) and No. 1 for marks inside 50 (3.5), yet also has good athleticism below his knees. He’d be perfect for Essendon at Pick 11, but he might be off the board by then, especially if the Dockers want to fill their key forward chasm — with a local WA lad — via the draft.

JYE.jpg

JACK WILLIAMS

Jack.jpg

jack2.jpg

JACOB VAN ROOYEN

jacob.jpg

jacob 2.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Any key forwards in Tassie?

With Jack getting close to retirement, it would be decades since we were without a key Tassie forward mauling opposition defenses.

Hart handed over to Roach,

Roach led Benny Gale in for a cameo role until Richo stepped in.

And with perfect timing JR arrived to replace Richo.

Reactions: 2 users

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
Think any of the above I'm happy with,but van rooyen almost gives us a double dip as in Balta whom could play either end.

Stewlander

Tiger Cub
Jan 20, 2016
Very short sighted.

You say that now with hindsight of three premierships. If we hasn't won 2019 or jack's body gave way, you'd be slamming the club for not having a junior in the wings.

You have to have vision for a few years ahead. We're now trying to eek out one last premiership. The club could have quite easily have said sorry Jack time to go. Then CCJ would be a starting 22.

Finally someone making sense. Some of the negativity on here is next level… You’d think our last 5 years we were Carlton like!

Our recruiters wouldn't have the benefit of hindsight at the time of drafting.

Our list management though, allowing 4 years of development to walk out the door......*smile* house.

Similar for Higgins.
We knew we'd be under salary cap pressures, and that may have taken out a mid-forward. Higgins would have got a lot of games for us in 2021, and probably more next year.

Finally someone making sense… The negativity on here can be next level sometimes. You’d think our last 5 years we were Carlton like!

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Very short sighted.

You say that now with hindsight of three premierships. If we hasn't won 2019 or jack's body gave way, you'd be slamming the club for not having a junior in the wings.

You have to have vision for a few years ahead. We're now trying to eek out one last premiership. The club could have quite easily have said sorry Jack time to go. Then CCJ would be a starting 22.

Our recruiters wouldn't have the benefit of hindsight at the time of drafting.

Our list management though, allowing 4 years of development to walk out the door......*smile* house.

Similar for Higgins.
We knew we'd be under salary cap pressures, and that may have taken out a mid-forward. Higgins would have got a lot of games for us in 2021, and probably more next year.
Exactly! Drafting is for the next 10 yrs not the next 2-3, that is what trading/FA are for. I agree we should have taken Allen/Taylor tho

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Think any of the above I'm happy with,but van rooyen almost gives us a double dip as in Balta whom could play either end.
Last combo that I can think of who could double dip plus ruck a bit as well would have been Lodger Merret n Kevin Walsh at Essendrugs. Old Sheeds used to rotate them around a bit at times, along with T.D. Never sure who was playing where,during games. Healthy dose of hard n nasty from the boys as well.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
anyone with footy withdrawals,

QAFL GF streamed today

colt now, reserves 11.30, seniors 2

bowdi ewland in the seniors for Broady, a few suns '22 prospects in the resizes

Reactions: 1 user

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
It’s getting harder and harder for me to think of reasons why we shouldn’t draft Amiss with our first pick after Chol & CCJ have moved on. Huge swing by me I know but I think it may be necessary.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users