2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
We have a good draft haul this year :

1st Rounders - Ours/Geelongs
2nd Rounders - Ours/St Kilda's
3rd Rounders - Ours/Gold Coasts

Plenty of picks means plenty of options

Reactions: 4 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Right now we have for the first 2 rounds

pick 9 cats
pick 15 ours
pick 26 saints
pick 30 ours

Will watch with interest and the next 5 rounds are pretty challenging for both the saints and cats (although how did the cats get such an easy draw - 2 gimme 4pts against lolnorf?)

Reactions: 2 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
We have a good draft haul this year :

1st Rounders - Ours/Geelongs
2nd Rounders - Ours/St Kilda's
3rd Rounders - Ours/Gold Coasts

Plenty of picks means plenty of options
Moggies, St Kiddenme n Mould Coast picks.
Hopefully they all remain as strugglers this year n provide us with an early pick in each round to complement our own end of round picks.
More than happy for the Tigers to take all six of their picks within the first three rounds this year n do an instant list refresh in one hit. Perfect opportunity to grab some young quality to supplement n support our current young players trying to fight their way into generation next.

We've got a large squad of players that are not simply ageing, but have all been there n done that. Three flags in four years n possibly still a trifecta to finish off with might leave us with a group of players who are near enough career sated.
Hungry bunch of premium pick youngsters to push up n push forward the bunch of young fringies who might have missed most of the glory run, would to my thinking be the perfect scenario to keep hunting for more.

Reactions: 1 user

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
I think we will take 4 players in the draft and will be aiming for 4 picks inside the first 25

trade the 2 x 3rd rounders + 1 x 2nd rounder to get inside top 15

Our 1st rounder
Cats 1st rounder
the pick we get for the 2x3rd+1x2nd - top 15
Saints 2nd rounder

Reactions: 3 users

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
This years draft is going to be a corker. Cal Twomey AFL draft commentator went to a double header I think he said, Under 19's Round One game a couple of weeks ago and he said there were 20-30 ready AFL players he saw that day. There's 9 other teams in the comp, S.A., W.A., Qld, NSW, and NT kids as well so I'd love to draft the full 6, hopefully nail 3 or 4 off them would be fantastic.

We can always bring in a free agent gunn to bolster our top shelf players - Z Merrett

Reactions: 5 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Nick Daicos looming as the top pick. Pies will hope they can play it like Sydney did with Campbell last year and get a pick in before a bid comes. I don’t think they will be able to.

Reactions: 1 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Nick Daicos looming as the top pick. Pies will hope they can play it like Sydney did with Campbell last year and get a pick in before a bid comes. I don’t think they will be able to.
They've already traded their 1st so they won't be going down that path.

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Today just the lazy 40 disposals, 27 kicks, 13 handballs, 9 marks, 11 inside 50's and 2. 4 for Oakleigh Chargers. Averaging 33 over 3 games, 7 marks and has kicked 8 goals

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
They've already traded their 1st so they won't be going down that path.
So Colonwood will be loading up with about 500 scungy fourth round picks trying to scrounge up enough points to match whatever bid comes for the kid. Or maybe they'll have to hock their entire 2022 draft picks going into deficit for him.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
So Colonwood will be loading up with about 500 scungy fourth round picks trying to scrounge up enough points to match whatever bid comes for the kid. Or maybe they'll have to hock their entire 2022 draft picks going into deficit for him.
Yeah I think the system at the moment is warped.

There is no way that you should be able to match a top pick with a load of junk picks AND get the benefit of a 20% discount.

I personally think it should be"

A 20% discount IF you are using a pick in the same round OR
No discount provided on value for matching.

We have a great example of what it costs to match with a load of junk picks as the Dogs got to do that last year with JUH. They essentially "paid" picks 29,33,41,42,52 and 54 for him. 6 picks in a crap draft for the number 1 pick. They would have needed to find another good pick in the 20's if there was no discount, OR keep or downgrade their 1st pick for a later 1st for a partial match.

At the moment, clubs are essentially being given a double discount by getting the 20% discount and match with crap picks.

Reactions: 6 users

TheUmpire

Tiger Rookie
Sep 30, 2003

There is no way that you should be able to match a top pick with a load of junk picks AND get the benefit of a 20% discount.

Disagree - there should be no discount. Having access to the player is the advantage. That's it.

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021

We have a great example of what it costs to match with a load of junk picks as the Dogs got to do that last year with JUH. They essentially "paid" picks 29,33,41,42,52 and 54 for him. 6 picks in a crap draft for the number 1 pick. They would have needed to find another good pick in the 20's if there was no discount, OR keep or downgrade their 1st pick for a later 1st for a partial match.

At the moment, clubs are essentially being given a double discount by getting the 20% discount and match with crap picks.
That is Fantastically explained Sir I like it Hopefully Paul Broderick's boy keeps improving and end of probably next year, we can milk the point system as well. He sounds promising, only 16 I think.

The Bullants booted four straight for the term but a goal to ‘Hurricane’ Harry ensured the Lions were close enough."

"including a Harry Broderick belter from the boundary line"

"
Harry ‘Houdini’ Broderick: Young Brodders dipped into his big bag of tricks for this game to boot two magical goals from the boundary line, one in the second and one in the third. The one in the second was arguably better, but the one in third was crucial."

Reactions: 1 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
That is Fantastically explained Sir I like it Hopefully Paul Broderick's boy keeps improving and end of probably next year, we can milk the point system as well. He sounds promising, only 16 I think.

The Bullants booted four straight for the term but a goal to ‘Hurricane’ Harry ensured the Lions were close enough."

"including a Harry Broderick belter from the boundary line"

"
Harry ‘Houdini’ Broderick: Young Brodders dipped into his big bag of tricks for this game to boot two magical goals from the boundary line, one in the second and one in the third. The one in the second was arguably better, but the one in third was crucial."

Luckily Paul only played 93 games for Fitzroy, or we might have had a fight to get him. Hopefully he can play a bit.

• Love

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Luckily Paul only played 93 games for Fitzroy, or we might have had a fight to get him. Hopefully he can play a bit.
Yeh I seen that so no Brisbane Lions for him, 163 games for the Tiges :)

Interview with Paul a couple of years ago

"There has always been a strong connection to Richmond, I barracked for them as a kid, Maurice Rioli was my idol growing up.
I went to the 1980 grand final and remember the huge crowd and a big Richmond win, which hooked me in. It was nice to be back last year to see the next premiership.”

Watching the Tigers win the 2017 grand final.
"Last year I admit I was like a lot of Richmond supporters, I was wondering when they were going to fall off the perch, when was this going to end.
Even coming into the finals it was a feeling that this is great but it will come to an end.
I was waiting for the wheels to fall off and for our hearts to get shattered again. But they just kept building.
I went to the grand final with a few former Richmond players from my era and it took until the last 15 minutes of the game when we really believed the Tigers were going to win.
It was an amazing feeling, looking around at the supporters and ex-players, there was hugging and tears, the emotion was flowing out.
We went back to Chris Naish's place for a barbecue that night and reflected on what was an incredible day.

Reactions: 13 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
This years draft is going to be a corker. Cal Twomey AFL draft commentator went to a double header I think he said, Under 19's Round One game a couple of weeks ago and he said there were 20-30 ready AFL players he saw that day. There's 9 other teams in the comp, S.A., W.A., Qld, NSW, and NT kids as well so I'd love to draft the full 6, hopefully nail 3 or 4 off them would be fantastic.

We can always bring in a free agent gunn to bolster our top shelf players - Z Merrett
Is it an U19's comp now? or is it just to catch up for last year?

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Is it an U19's comp now? or is it just to catch up for last year?
Yep, lots of the boys are last year's Under 18's, it's been name changed just for this year I think from Under 16's and 18's to Under 17's and 19's to let last years kids who didn't get drafted an opportunity at that level.

I've taken an interest in a boy Jack Rossimel, 193cm from Northern Knights, plays CHF and FF, looks a good sort, kicked 2.2 on the weekend, did well for the Northern Knights, he is in the Under 19's just 17 still - 05/11/2003.

I met his mum when I went up for the 2019 Richmond - Gold Coast game and they were up there for the Under 16's carnival, watched a couple of the carnival games and he looked good. Hope the Tiges can draft him with a late draft pick, maybe a 40's plus pick.

"The 193cm key forward was certainly influential in his team’s result, providing a great target from centre half-forward with his constant leading at the ball carrier. Rossimel’s greatest strength wasn’t just his ability to lead up and give his teammates a target, it was also his incredible dexterity at ground level – able to gather any ball below his knees at speed and handpass to a teammate perfectly. Rossimel finished the game with 16 disposals and six marks."

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
I’d package up CCJ and our own first round pick ( hopefully #18) to get inside the top five at the ND. We need to start getting premium young talent in the door.

• Love

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg
Yep, lots of the boys are last year's Under 18's, it's been name changed just for this year I think from Under 16's and 18's to Under 17's and 19's to let last years kids who didn't get drafted an opportunity at that level.

I've taken an interest in a boy Jack Rossimel, 193cm from Northern Knights, plays CHF and FF, looks a good sort, kicked 2.2 on the weekend, did well for the Northern Knights, he is in the Under 19's just 17 still - 05/11/2003.

I met his mum when I went up for the 2019 Richmond - Gold Coast game and they were up there for the Under 16's carnival, watched a couple of the carnival games and he looked good. Hope the Tiges can draft him with a late draft pick, maybe a 40's plus pick.

"The 193cm key forward was certainly influential in his team’s result, providing a great target from centre half-forward with his constant leading at the ball carrier. Rossimel’s greatest strength wasn’t just his ability to lead up and give his teammates a target, it was also his incredible dexterity at ground level – able to gather any ball below his knees at speed and handpass to a teammate perfectly. Rossimel finished the game with 16 disposals and six marks."

Interestingly, the current coach of Northern Knights has come across from Oakleigh Chargers, so he will be getting the best in the business in charge of developing him. Id say that Oakleigh's drafting strike rate over the last few years has been one of the best, even if you remove the players who draft themselves (Rowell, Ugle-Hagen, etc)

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Interestingly, the current coach of Northern Knights has come across from Oakleigh Chargers, so he will be getting the best in the business in charge of developing him. Id say that Oakleigh's drafting strike rate over the last few years has been one of the best, even if you remove the players who draft themselves (Rowell, Ugle-Hagen, etc)
D85, are the clubs all paying their coaches the same?

I’m curious as to how the governing body monitors who coaches who?