2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

Teckor

Tiger Rookie
Nov 7, 2007
Maybe a tad harsh by Knightmare.

Richmond

Picks: 9, 17, 28, 29, 30

Players drafted: Josh Gibcus, Tom Brown, Tyler Sonsie, Sam Banks, Judson Clarke

Grade: D+

Rationale: Richmond searched for long term replacements for retired duo David Astbury and Bachar Houli and believe they have found two with the additions of Gibcus as a high leaping key defender and Brown as a speedy rebounding defender. Within the industry, Gibcus and Brown are commonly rated highly, picks 9 and 17 is a lot to pay for a key defender and a rebounding defender who may not be the best at their respective positions at the picks they were taken. Sonsie, as a skilful midfielder, and Clark, as a speedy, classy kicking small forward, were picked in the range expected, though Banks, a rebounding defender, was selected earlier than predicted.

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 9 users
Feb 25, 2007

Richmond

Rationale: Richmond searched for long term replacements for retired duo David Astbury and Bachar Houli and believe they have found two with the additions of Gibcus as a high leaping key defender and Brown as a speedy rebounding defender. Within the industry, Gibcus and Brown are commonly rated highly, picks 9 and 17 is a lot to pay for a key defender and a rebounding defender who may not be the best at their respective positions at the picks they were taken. Sonsie, as a skilful midfielder, and Clark, as a speedy, classy kicking small forward, were picked in the range expected, though Banks, a rebounding defender, was selected earlier than predicted.

Chris Doerre is an embarrassment, like I've said before we take what he says with a grain of salt. If you look at some of the teams getting A and B no way they recruited better than us based on the ranking of these players in the Nab League.

I'll counter that with fox sports assessment of our draft haul A+

RICHMOND

Picks (at the start of draft):
7, 15, 26, 27, 28, 79

Selections: Josh Gibcus (9), Tom Brown (17), Tyler Sonsie (28), Sam Banks (29), Judson Clarke (30)

The Tigers nailed a terrific spread of player types with their juicy draft hand. They used their two first-round picks to address their defensive stocks, with Gibcus and Brown both strong intercept players. Although the Tigers could use Gibcus as a forward next year — a prospect some recruiters believe would work well. Sonsie could be anything. On talent alone, the midfielder was arguably a top-five talent in this year’s draft class, but slid due to a lack of continuity in a Covid-interrupted season. If it clicks for him at the Tigers though, he could be a genuine AFL star. Banks gives the Tigers great dash and versatility, while Clarke is a typical Tigers draftee: A small forward that can apply pressure and play a role. Although Clarke has ample tricks and an innate, mercurial goal nous. Big ticks for the Tigers.

Grade: A+

Reactions: 1 users

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
Chris Doerre is an embarrassment, like I've said before we take what he says with a grain of salt. If you look at some of the teams getting A and B no way they recruited better than us based on the ranking of these players in the Nab League.

RICHMOND

7, 15, 26, 27, 28, 79

Selections: Josh Gibcus (9), Tom Brown (17), Tyler Sonsie (28), Sam Banks (29), Judson Clarke (30)

The Tigers nailed a terrific spread of player types with their juicy draft hand. They used their two first-round picks to address their defensive stocks, with Gibcus and Brown both strong intercept players. Although the Tigers could use Gibcus as a forward next year — a prospect some recruiters believe would work well. Sonsie could be anything. On talent alone, the midfielder was arguably a top-five talent in this year’s draft class, but slid due to a lack of continuity in a Covid-interrupted season. If it clicks for him at the Tigers though, he could be a genuine AFL star. Banks gives the Tigers great dash and versatility, while Clarke is a typical Tigers draftee: A small forward that can apply pressure and play a role. Although Clarke has ample tricks and an innate, mercurial goal nous. Big ticks for the Tigers.

You know Doerre has ZERO idea when he wrote this about the Bombers drafting: "McDonagh was a surprise selection and someone who was first draft eligible in 2014. He will rival Caleb Daniel and Jayden Short as the best short kick in the game. With Essendon's defence starting to take shape in 2021 and strengthening with the addition of Jake Kelly" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

Teckor

Tiger Rookie
Nov 7, 2007

RICHMOND

7, 15, 26, 27, 28, 79

Yeah, seems such a strange rating.

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
Correct but I believe we only have 35 (incl Cumberland) or 34 on the main list (excluding Cumberland).

34 + Cumberland + 6 Cat A rookies is 41, which is why we have probably upgraded a rookie but they don't get stated on draft night anymore.
I always though you can have up to 3 catergory B in addition to 6 cat A.
Not that l think we have any cat b player's in mind this year.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016

Richmond

Always thought this guy was a stuffwit but now he has proven it beyond all reasonable doubt.

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015

Richmond

Does this guy get paid for being a troll,,he hasn't got a clue.

Reactions: 3 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
And he gets paid to be a fool. Mind boggles. Good to see he didnt take his Collingwoods goggles off when handing them an A.

I don’t think he’s ever given Collingwood less than a B in his grading, and their drafting has been woeful for years.

Reactions: 5 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
That is genuine numpty stuff. Couldn't disagree more. We destroyed them, it's an A from me at worst B+.

A top 5 pick at 9.
A top 20 player taken at 18.
A top 10 player taken after 25.

You just can't call that a D+. Numpty.

Reactions: 4 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Judging by his word salads, I'll guess ESPN pays him by the word, but it wouldn't be much. BigFooty is a better source of AFL information than ESPN.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Pretty tough to do ratings before seeing the cattle at the next level but Knightmare's simply given ratings based on his power rankings. I can see a bit of nepotism creeping in but there's a few points that ring true and I'll discuss those below.

Draft Strategy B+

This draft presented many different avenues but in the context of securing a key position talent alongside our other needs I think grabbing the tall first was the smart play. I think it's easy to write Gibcus off as just a defender but his athletic specs suggest there's a few more tools in the kit bag that could see him nail down that critical key forward position. Unlike some of the other phantom drafters I rank players on downside just as much as upside & Gibcus has one of the highest floors in the first round. That makes his selection an easy one & the worst case scenario is a player who will free up Balta to move up the ground. The other benefit with picking the best key defender was that we maintained the ability to get A grade quality deep into the draft, with Sonsie the bargain buy of the second round the depth of midfielders was on full display. If we're talking bang for the buck at each pick our first selection paved the way for some big upside acquisitions with our 4 remaining picks.

I'm not going to hide the fact that pick 17 probably didn't go the way I had envisaged, it was Johnson here for me & Goater as the back-up plan. Both these guys featured in my top 10 & Johnson the fifth ranked player behind Callaghan. I think with the Banks pick we could have opted for the mid. Probably a missed opportunity and that's why I'm reluctant to give full marks. Having access to Sonsie has made up for that in some ways & perhaps he wasn't even available at 28 if we pick Johnson. I suppose we'll never know the answer to that question but had it been Gibcus, Johnson, Sonsie then it's fair to say it's closing in on a royal flush.

Of the 50/50 calls I would have slipped Howes into the mix, I think Brown & Banks are too similar, I would have liked a wingman in there but I suppose there's scope for both Banks & Brown to fill that role. Both players are good finishers, both probably need to improve their contested side and if we're talking odds, the combination of the two should yield a core player. That makes achieving the aim of 3 core players very doable.

Clarke is a good pick, fills a need and could be one of those players you are musing about when sizing up the bargains of the draft. As to who I would have cut in the event we landed Gibcus/Johnson/Sonsie, probably Banks if we're talking pure rankings but I would be flexible if we planned on taking Fejo as a rookie. So I suppose my ideal haul would have looked something like this -

9. Gibcus
17. Johnson
28. Sonsie (Taylor as back-up)
29. Howes
30. Banks

Rookie - Fejo

This all all hypothetical of course, I still like what we've done & feel we've set the foundations up for a nice mini rebuild. The haul is one mid short of perfection in my opinion, I'm not as bullish on the next tier as some. The only player I think is premiership material is RCD but he's still a work in progress.

Reactions: 9 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Matt Clarke on SEN now

No talent being added in Rookie Draft except re-drafting Biggie

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users