2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Josh Ward won 2 of 3 2.2km time trials at Hawthorn with the full group running.

That is extraordinary.

wasn't 3 x 2.2,

was approx 3 X 1km.

but yeah, an 18 yo blitzing 24 yo seasoned professional athletes on the first day at work is pretty extraordinary.

I imagine he'll know he's trained after the first contact session.

Reactions: 2 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
wasn't 3 x 2.2,

was approx 3 X 1km.

but yeah, an 18 yo blitzing 24 yo seasoned professional athletes on the first day at work is pretty extraordinary.

The big fella Long did fairly well too

Reactions: 1 user

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
wasn't 3 x 2.2,

was approx 3 X 1km.

One of our early draft picks did similar a few years back. Can’t recall who…probably one of zips duds who are no longer with the RFC.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Josh Ward won 2 of 3 2.2km time trials at Hawthorn with the full group running.

That is extraordinary.
Don’t think it’s that uncommon for new draftees to win or be on the podium at their new AFL clubs . I think Brando may have or gone very close .

great form guide those time trials , ahh the great days of Hyde and White

• Haha

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Don’t think it’s that uncommon for new draftees to win or be on the podium at their new AFL clubs . I think Brando may have or gone very close .

great form guide those time trials , ahh the great days of Hyde and White

they must be rapt The Tan is in the olden days?

4km?

pre-season in Ballarat was always a time trial 6km around Lake Wendouree.

I used to stash my pushy in the rushes the night before, at around the 800m mark

I was found out one year, when I eye of the tiger came on the Walkman at the 4km mark and I accidentally beat Steve Monaghettis lake record (16mins 10 secs)

that's 5.37 2km pace, for 6 km!

I was completely rooted, standing up in the stirrups in 5th gear (it was a Gove 5 speed), thighs burning, chucked it under the jetty on the home bend, and I just pipped him.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
they must be rapt The Tan is in the olden days?

4km?

pre-season in Ballarat was always a time trial 6km around Lake Wendouree.

I used to stash my pushy in the rushes the night before, at around the 800m mark

I was found out one year, when I eye of the tiger came on the Walkman at the 4km mark and I accidentally beat Steve Monaghettis lake record (16mins 10 secs)

that's 5.37 2km pace, for 6 km!

I was completely rooted, standing up in the stirrups in 10th gear, thighs burning, chucked it under the jetty on the home bend, and I just pipped him.
2 of my favourite “ running” stories are 1 , Sheedy walks out of the sheds looks up and sees this 6 8 bloke half a lap in front of the main bunch , ” who the bloody hell is that “ he says , Steve Alessio it was , problem was he was half a lap behind . 2 Stafford when he had the new GPS on and had amazing distance run, when he’d actually jumped in the car and did laps of vic park …The general has exact details on that one

• Haha

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
2 of my favourite “ running” stories are 1 , Sheedy walks out of the sheds looks up and sees this 6 8 bloke half a lap in front of the main bunch , ” who the bloody hell is that “ he says , Steve Alessio it was , problem was he was half a lap behind . 2 Stafford when he had the new GPS on and had amazing distance run, when he’d actually jumped in the car and did laps of vic park …The general has exact details on that one

yeah they'de all say

you're only cheating yourself,

but it felt like id achieved something really special.

Not many can say they beat* Steve Monaghetti.

plus I was always on the bench by halftime anyway, so the stamina would have been a waste.

this was before they had high half forwards, so my role in the team was as a low impact player

I played my role, to my strengths, authentically and with storytelling love, decades before it became trendy

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
Sorry to nitpick Zip, but Dimma was the coach when Dusty was drafted. And although Wallace was the coach for the others, FJ was also there as recruiting manager.

Ok, now that’s out of the way, I’ll start by saying that I agree with you that our recruiting in the 1st round has been quite poor.
It seems as though we try to outsmart the rest of the competition by selecting players from “left-field”.
We all know that Richmond places an enormous amount of emphasis on players with good character and leadership qualities. And it seems as though we reach for these type of players in the 1st round, leaving much more talented players on the table. This type of recruiting works wonders in the later rounds though.

I will also say that even though it looks like we “bust” most times in the 1st round, our recruiting (as well as our trading) for players with good character and leadership skills has enabled us to develop an amazing culture at the club. This culture has helped us to build a champion team with 3 premierships as opposed to a team of champions with nothing !

I will finish by saying that I believe we should just stick to picking the best talent in the 1st round and the good characters later on.
Plus a lot of the players from the Premiership sides were drafted in the GCS and GWS draft years!

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Bully Do u think that Tigers have gone for players that could easily achieve best few for there positions,such as Gibcus reaching best key back in AFL one day plus brown being a better rated half back wing than Johnson will get to as a mid .
I thought Bully cracked it and left?

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Best i have heard is Sam mclure catching a tram on sydney rd when Carlton used to run from princess park to the 1st & last pub and back

Reactions: 1 users
Feb 25, 2007

Not Richmond related but thought id post this as 2 players we have spoken about prior to the draft, Dittmar and Ronald Fejo jnr

Overlooked mid, former Docker in mix for Eagles' rookie spot​

West Coast has invited two players to train with the club over the pre-season
_1DX8161.jpg

Kade Dittmar gets his handball away during Western Australia's win over South Australia in the NAB AFL U19 Champs at Lathlain Park on Saturday, August 28, 2021. Picture: Supplied

WEST Coast has invited former Fremantle-listed ruckman Luke Strnadica and overlooked draft prospect Kade Dittmar to trial for its vacant list spots this pre-season.

The pair are among eight players across the competition officially invited to train with clubs ahead of the Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period, with more likely to be added in the coming weeks.

The Eagles have at least one spot to fill after the NAB AFL Draft and Rookie Draft, while Brad Sheppard's concussion challenges could open a second spot if he retires or is placed on the inactive list.

Strnadica spent 2017-18 with the Dockers but was delisted without playing a senior game, returning to WAFL club East Fremantle where he has strived to reignite his career for the past three seasons.

GettyImages-1157535625.jpg

Luke Strnadica of the Sharks tackles Eagle Bailey Williams during a WAFL match on June 22, 2019. Picture: Getty Images

Dittmar is a tough inside midfielder from East Perth who has battled significant back injuries but had a clear run in 2021, earning selection in the WA under-19s team.
The pair will begin training with the Eagles on Tuesday after undergoing medical testing at the club.

Elsewhere, Essendon has invited West Adelaide wingman Ronald Fejo jnr to trial for one of its two vacant spots, alongside delisted midfielder Dylan Clarke.

'IT OPENED MY EYES' The move that put Fejo on AFL radar

Tex Wanganeen
will also be training with the Bombers after being overlooked in the Draft as part of his father-son ties to the club.

Carlton captain Patrick Cripps has been joined by brother Josh at training, with the WA tall pushing for a spot on the Blues' list alongside Eastern Ranges tall Tyreece Lieu.

sUnlzf6P.jpg

Josh Cripps in action at Carlton training on December 6, 2021. Picture: AFL Photos

Delisted Melbourne defender Marty Hore will train with North Melbourne, while ex-St Kilda forward Patrick McCartin is hoping to join brother Tom at the Swans.

The Pre-Season Supplemental Period runs from January 10 to March 9, while clubs also have the option of keeping a rookie spot open for the Mid-Season Rookie Draft on June 1.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Fejo jnr at the bombers feels like when Dean Rioli went there.
Was all wrong, shoulda been ours

wigglyworm

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 22, 2008
Deledio, Tambling, Meyer, Pattison and Polo were massively hyped, I suspect way more than this group
Was it the players though or the development. Looking back only Patto was really a limited footballer never likely to make it with his skill set

wigglyworm

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 22, 2008
yet, another 2 clubs thought he was worth a punt after we delisted him.
I found that extremely strange. Undersized ruck who was not quick , no agility not really a ruck not really a CHF who couldnt jump. Had excellent endurance but never had a position and was never really going to make it. Out of the five he was the only one that had so many deficiencies he was never likely to make it

Reactions: 1 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Is this set of draftees the most hyped we’ve ever had.
This is the most excited I've been about a crop we've had since that 04 class. More excited about the timing as well, this could be a real bridge between one generation to the next.

Reactions: 3 users