2022 - March to the finals | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 - March to the finals

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
So today we are 7-5 with a reasonable percentage compared to teams around us.

We need 13 wins to be certain of finals. 14 wins to be certain of a home elimination final, and 15 wins to likely snag top 4.

My prediction based on current form:

13. Carl MCG - Loss
14. Geel. MCG - Loss
15. WCE MCG - Win
16. Suns. GC – Loss
17 Nth. MVL - Win
18. Freo. MVL - Loss
19. Lions. MCG - Win
20. Port. AO - Win
21. Haw. Mcg - Win
22. Ess. MCG – Win

That takes us to 13 wins. To make sure of finals and to give us a chance of 4th-6th, we really need to beat one of Carlton and Geelong.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

We need 13 wins to be certain of finals. 14 wins to be certain of a home elimination final, and 15 wins to likely snag top 4.

13. Carl MCG - Loss
14. Geel. MCG - Loss
15. WCE MCG - Win
16. Suns. GC – Loss
17 Nth. MVL - Win
18. Freo. MVL - Loss
19. Lions. MCG - Win
20. Port. AO - Win
21. Haw. Mcg - Win
22. Ess. MCG – Win

That takes us to 13 wins. To make sure of finals and to give us a chance of 4th-6th, we really need to beat one of Carlton and Geelong.
Don't like having to play Port again epsecially at AO, however as of 8 from 10 home games, we should have 8 wins. Just concentrate, lower our eyes, compose, stop fumbling and f*cking around fancy passes = win.

Reactions: 1 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Don't like having to play Port again epsecially at AO, however as of 8 from 10 home games, we should have 8 wins. Just concentrate, lower our eyes, compose, stop fumbling and f*cking around fancy passes = win.
We did seem to be our own worst enemy last night.

MalenyTiger

Tiger Superstar
Jan 27, 2005
Could have / should have won the game comfortably by 5 goals. Lamentable kicks into forward 50, lamentable shots on goal (particularly Bolton & Jack), lamentable midfield clearances (yet again). Fix these and we'll play finals for sure. We have the players, the system and the culture (and we know what it takes to get there). Trajectory is still up despite the ugly win.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
We did seem to be our own worst enemy last night.
Happens too often. How many good leads did we hold in some games this season? We should be better than 7-5. Still don't know why we can't run 4 quarters in games.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Don't like having to play Port again epsecially at AO

By the time R21 comes around, Port will be out of finals contention. They have Sydney, Freo, Melbourne and Geelong in the next 6 weeks. Gold Coast and GWS aren't certainties either.

Reactions: 1 user

Tigers2020

Tiger Rookie
Nov 6, 2020
Top 2 spots are up for grabs. Brisbane have the hardest run home in the comp and Melbourne look shaky

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
We need to start playing much better to win enough games to have any impact this year. What we dished up against Port won’t cut it against Carlton and Geelong next 2 games.

Sitting in 9th at round 13 is not ideal but we control our destiny. We need to start putting teams to the sword when we have them on the ropes. Can’t help thinking the Carlton, Saints, Crows and Swans losses will bite us hard. We win just 2 of those games and we are top 4 right now

Still we were in a very similar position in 2019. But we are not as good as we were in 2019. Very interesting second half of the season coming up. Have we still got it?

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
We need to start playing much better to win enough games to have any impact this year. What we dished up against Port won’t cut it against Carlton and Geelong next 2 games.

Sitting in 9th at round 13 is not ideal but we control our destiny. We need to start putting teams to the sword when we have them on the ropes. Can’t help thinking the Carlton, Saints, Crows and Swans losses will bite us hard. We win just 2 of those games and we are top 4 right now

Still we were in a very similar position in 2019. But we are not as good as we were in 2019. Very interesting second half of the season coming up. Have we still got it?
You never know Riddles.

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
It’s hard to close the gap between us and the rest

If Collingwood don’t make it, they’ve been helpful for knocking other teams around

Out slow start is costing us

If we beat Carlton, we are 2 wins behind top spot

Last edited:

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014

Agree with you fully ... as per usual! Our errors and turnovers from sloppy ball use and wasted scoring opportunities, along with some players that are showing clear signs of ageing and slowing, have been killing us. The failure to put teams away is just really unprofessional, like the wayward performances of some of our really talented/experienced players (such as Shai and JR8 in PA game) has really damaged us this year. I have grave doubts we will prove up to it on this basis.

It's also about training, developing , performing and drilling in H&A matches the techniques and form that means you can avoid such sloppy football in finals too, if you get there. We need to improve markedly in these areas if we are to go anywhere in finals, even if we make them.

It is a genuine pity because I think the flag is there for the taking this year. If only we had an injection of more youth into this side; I mean specifically into the middle. Not sure the same proven combo of Prestia, Cotch, Martin, Edwards are going to b e up to matching the midfields of key opponents in '22. The fact that Dow, RCD, and Ross et al have not come on as good enough support has hurt us.

I think this may be shown again in the Bloos game coming for one.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Agree with you fully ... as per usual! Our errors and turnovers from sloppy ball use and wasted scoring opportunities, along with some players that are showing clear signs of ageing and slowing, have been killing us. The failure to put teams away is just really unprofessional, like the wayward performances of some of our really talented/experienced players (such as Shai and JR8 in PA game) has really damaged us this year. I have grave doubts we will prove up to it on this basis.

It's also about training, developing , performing and drilling in H&A matches the techniques and form that means you can avoid such sloppy football in finals too, if you get there. We need to improve markedly in these areas if we are to go anywhere in finals, even if we make them.

It is a genuine pity because I think the flag is there for the taking this year. If only we had an injection of more youth into this side; I mean specifically into the middle. Not sure the same proven combo of Prestia, Cotch, Martin, Edwards are going to b e up to matching the midfields of key opponents in '22. The fact that Dow, RCD, and Ross et al have not come on as good enough support has hurt us.

I think this may be shown again in the Bloos game coming for one.
We’re showing some promising signs Leon but just not putting it all together at the moment. Each of the 3 years we won flags we turned it on in the second half of the season. But are we still good enough to do that now? Agree that the midfield is the key. It’s a shame we don’t seem to have the young mids coming through to support our ageing premiership warriors. It’s difficult to see them carrying us on their own in the midfield again.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
We’re showing some promising signs Leon but just not putting it all together at the moment. Each of the 3 years we won flags we turned it on in the second half of the season. But are we still good enough to do that now? Agree that the midfield is the key. It’s a shame we don’t seem to have the young mids coming through to support our ageing premiership warriors. It’s difficult to see them carrying us on their own in the midfield again.
Yes, we are all hopeful of being able to repeat those great flag years* but now I look back guiltily about not supporting the case several posters made for going hard at Cerra, mainly due to what he would cost. But now I realise the quality he would have brought may have been a good investment if several of our draftees are a bust. In fact, the one I liked but said little about was Lipinski, as I still expected our young mid talent would prove his equal at least. But I now think he might have been exactly what we needed.

(*All this vaguely reminds me of some famous old war movie or western where the old hero gunslingers or whatever drag themselves out of lazy retirement after growing slow, fat and boring to save some poor town/villagers assailed by murderous thugs or Nazis whatever. But have they still got it!?) :D

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania

13. Carl MCG - Loss
14. Geel. MCG - Loss
15. WCE MCG - Win
16. Suns. GC – Loss
17 Nth. MVL - Win
18. Freo. MVL - Loss
19. Lions. MCG - Win
20. Port. AO - Win
21. Haw. Mcg - Win
22. Ess. MCG – Win

I reckon worst case for the tigers is 11 wins. The 4 wins we should get are
15. WCE. MCG - Win
17 Nth. MVL - Win
21. Haw. MCG - Win
22. Ess. MCG – Win

That means we need to get another 2 wins from the following if we need 13 to make finals
13. Carl. MCG
14. Geel. MCG
16. Suns. GC
18. Freo. MVL
19. Lions. MCG
20. Port. AO

None of these games will be easy to win, if we can’t get the job done at least twice, we will know that this era is over. At this stage of the season, I wouldn’t be surprised if we won 4 of them or none of them.

Tigers2020

Tiger Rookie
Nov 6, 2020
It looks like 16 or 17 wins is going to be required for top 4. I compared this year's ladder with the 2016 ladder (the last time there was this many good teams)

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne

13. Carl MCG - Loss
14. Geel. MCG - Loss
15. WCE MCG - Win
16. Suns. GC – Loss
17 Nth. MVL - Win
18. Freo. MVL - Loss
19. Lions. MCG - Win
20. Port. AO - Win
21. Haw. Mcg - Win
22. Ess. MCG – Win

We also need to flog the absolute sheizen outta Kanga's and Eagles and Drugs as percentage will be vital.

Just need to get the points against Port, Hawks Bears, and the Suns and at least one of the Blues and or Cats.

However we beat both the Blues and Cats and its fair dinkum game on.