2023 PRE Phantom Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2023 PRE Phantom Draft

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Crows Round Up- Caleb Windsor gives the Crows what they lack, line breaking pace. Windsor's most important attribute is his speed, 2.91 over 20. He is able to burn off opponents with ease and is very difficult to catch once he gets going. He is also a very good user of his pace defensively, and is able to chase down opponents and catch them off guard. Using pace both ways as a weapon is rare. If he keeps that up in the AFL he’s a valuable commodity. His kicking is great and then it’s not. The more I watch the more I see quicker Jayden Short with slightly less kicking skill at the moment. If he puts the package together, he could be elite. The Crows need pace, I reckon he plays pretty quickly.

Koltyn Tholstrup is 188cm, runs 6.17 2km and came second in the agility testing at the combine. Played WAFL as a tagger against men. He is aggressive but smart with ball. He will start as a forward and could end up a change mid. Athletically he is there but hasn’t shown the ability to win that much ball. Jordan De Goey is the type but I don’t think he can be that elite version. But he will compete. Maybe Archie Perkins is a better comp, I think that’s more likely. I like Rankine, Thilthrope and Tholstrup in your front half.

Harry DeMattia is similar to Tholstrup in that he competes. Electric pace and hunts to tackle. Only choose football over cricket recently, I always like that, means a lot of development in them. He trained with Melbourne this year and this was the feedback;

Simon Goodwin was so impressed by his training standards he joked that DeMattia should play cricket for the next three years so the club could sign him as a Category B rookie, just like the Western Bulldogs did with James O'Donnell in April. The premiership coach was only half joking.

Captained Vic Country, Captained Australian indoor cricket sides as a junior, ran water for Australian test side two years ago at the Boxing Day test. He’s a leader. Sets standards On and off the ground. Breaks away from stoppages with real pace, you can’t teach it. But his kicking can be hit and miss, must improve. But the way he competes, it’s Liam Baker like, I heard or read that and I agree. You can’t teach that either. Pace and competitive nature at elite levels, that’s enough. Reckon he could be an elite wingman or defensive forward.

Three picks, three athletes, two with elite pace. For me it’s what the crows need but after Windsor, I didn’t feel like I was picking from an elite talent pool.

Reactions: 2 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Essendon wrap up:

Essendon win the draft period.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
West Coast Eagles

The advantage cellar dwelling sides have over more recently successful sides is having so many holes in the list that going for best available poses no problems with overall list management. For the most part this was the rationale behind most of the choices made. Pace as it turns out was a theme across the board without any conscious effort.

#2 Harley Reid 187cm, 85kg, Bendigo, Midfielder/Forward

There is a risk with any player even at #1. I had a few concerns given his tank is reportedly questionable & didnt turn up to the combine due to injury, so without any raw data to refer to comes a little more risk. Could I have another Rayner on my hands?

All that being said, he has the hallmarks of an elite player (contested game, leadership, overall skillset and athletic attributes) which you presume will produce a future star player.

It is hoped Reid can play in tandem rotating between midfield and forward with Culley long term.

Others considered: Colby McKercher was seriously considered given IMO he is the safest choice given his likelihood of a long term successful career is the greatest. Perhaps his ceiling and strength in the contest as a pure bull is ultimately the one thing going against him.

#30 Charlie Edwards (30) 191cm, 85kg, Sandringham, Midfielder/Defender

Edwards' meteoric rise came late in the season which was brought about by a change in role from defence to midfield. His marked improvement caught the eyes of recruiters and as such has rocketed his asking price come draft day(s).

Has footy smarts plus height and pace to burn. Can take solid marks overhead and will be a welcome addition to a one paced and stale midfield.

If he happens to join West Coast he will be the third current Edwards on their list.

Others considered: Cooper Simpson has traits all clubs are always looking for: pace, skill, clean hands, kicking penetration, character, etc. Is good at almost everything which on the surface makes him a low risk choice.

#39 Tew Jiath 188cm, 72kg, Gippsland, Defender

Most of the perceived weakness of Jiath's game are the same of his older brother Chingkouth (of whom I'm a fan) had prior to being drafted. His body shape should fill out nicely like his brother which will ensure he holds himself much better in contests and have more confidence in his approach to the ball and man. His ball drop is probably the biggest concern but it is perhaps naively hoped that can be corrected with elite development/coaching.

On the field he looks and plays like a 190cm player but is listed at 188cm, if he can grow a few more cm I can see him as a third tall intercept player but has the athleticism to play small making him a versatile player. He is overall efficient with ball in hand but his ball drop does slow down transition which will need to be addressed. Has the same athletic attributes (plus a taller version) of his older brother which will be a welcome addition to their slow backline.

Others considered: Was spewing when Joel Freijah was picked three choices earlier. I can see him being a good long term player, seemingly has all the attributes to succeed long term. West Coast needs outside players that can run hard with creativity.

#50 Lachlan Charleson 177cm, 74kg, GWV, Small Forward

Reportedly a smaller version of Ned Long. If true then this pick IMO is a bargain. Long arguably has the best hands in the game IMO, if you could double that in the same forwardline that would mean big problems for opposing defenders. Has all the attributes long term crumbers possess: defensive/scoreboard pressure, speed, good at ground level, & footy smarts. Can also play onball but probably too small and will play mostly if not permanent forward.

Others considered: Wil Dawson's video footage doesn't look good, perhaps the bad clips were taken during his poor form early on in the season? He reportedly came back strongly as the season progressed. On paper as spook outlined he has all the qualities of a good key position player, is under-age for this draft crop and has grown 20cm in 2 years and probably still growing (not that it helped RCD).

The biggest question marks over Logan Morris is his height. If that is all then he will make it despite the lack of height. He could be the next Kaine Baldwin or Jack Darling? If Darling then that would suit West Coast nicely given Allen is a franchise player and Maric could be a nice foil giving Morris the third best defender. As bulluss said, he could grow and potentially get to key position height which will silence the naysayers.

#62 Nathan Philactides 179cm, 80kg, Oakleigh, Small Defender

Has elite speed, agility, and explosiveness which naturally carries over into a metres gained centric style. Has a high level background in hurdling. The knock is his kicking efficiency which manifests itself more so with composure and decision making than technique which could possibly be corrected with experience and coaching.
Was rated much higher earlier in the season, at this late in the draft could prove to be a bargain.

Others considered: It's clear PRE punters don't believe Jack Delean has the goods to produce as a forward at the elite level. He has the smarts and forward craft to do so but it remains to be seen whether he has the defensive pressure and athletic profile to be able to. At this low in the draft he would be worth the punt given the upside should he demonstrate he has what it takes and could be a 40 + goals per season type player.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
West Coast Eagles

The advantage cellar dwelling sides have over more recently successful sides is having so many holes in the list that going for best available poses no problems with overall list management. For the most part this was the rationale behind most of the choices made. Pace as it turns out was a theme across the board without any conscious effort.

#2 Harley Reid (2) 187cm, 85kg, Bendigo, Midfielder/Forward

Reasons for the choice: There is a risk with any player even at #1. I had a few concerns given his tank is reportedly questionable & didnt turn up to the combine due to injury, so without any raw data to refer to comes a little more risk. I could have another Rayner on my hands?

All that being said, he has the hallmarks of an elite player (contested game, leadership, overall skillset and athletic attributes) which you presume will produce a future star player.

It is hoped Reid can play in tandem rotating between midfield and forward with Culley long term.

Others considered: Colby McKercher was seriously considered given IMO he is the safest choice given his likelihood of a long term successful career is the greatest. Perhaps his ceiling and strength in the contest as a pure bull is ultimately the one thing going against him.

#30 Charlie Edwards (30) 191cm, 85kg, Sandringham, Midfielder/Defender

Edwards' meteoric rise came late in the season which was brought about by a change in role from defence to midfield. His marked improvement caught the eyes of recruiters and as such has rocketed his asking price come draft day(s).

Has footy smarts plus height and pace to burn. Can take solid marks overhead and

Will be a welcome addition to a one paced and stale midfield.

If he happens to join West Coast he will be the third current Edwards on their list.

Others considered: Cooper Simpson has traits all clubs are always looking for: pace, skill, clean hands, kicking penetration, character, etc. Is good at almost everything which on the surface makes him a low risk choice.

#39 Tew Jiath 188cm, 72kg, Gippsland, Defender

Most of the perceived weakness of Jiath's game are the same of his older brother Chingkouth (of whom I'm a fan) had prior to being drafted. His body shape should fill out nicely like his brother which will ensure he holds himself much better in contests and have more confidence in his approach to the ball and man. His ball drop is probably the biggest concern but it is perhaps naively hoped that can be corrected with elite development/coaching.

On the field he looks and plays like a 190cm player but is listed at 188cm, if he can grow a few more cm I can see him as a third tall intercept player but has the athleticism to play small making him a versatile player. He is overall efficient with ball in hand but his ball drop does slow down transition which will need to be addressed. Has the same athletic attributes of his brother which will be a welcome addition to their slow backline.

Others considered: Was spewing when Joel Freijah was picked three choices earlier. I can see him being a good long term player, seemingly has all the attributes to succeed long term. West Coast needs outside players that can run hard with creativity.

#50 Lachlan Charleson 177cm, 74kg, GWV, Small Forward

Reportedly a smaller version of Ned Long. If true then this pick IMO is a bargain. Long arguably has the best hands in the game IMO, if you could double that in the same forwardline that would mean big problems for opposing defenders. Has all the attributes long term crumbers possess: defensive/scoreboard pressure, speed, good at ground level, & footy smarts. Can also play onball but probably too small and will play mostly if not permanent forward.

Others considered: Wil Dawson's video footage doesn't look good, perhaps the bad clips were taken during his poor form early on in the season? He reportedly came back strongly as the season progressed. On paper as spook outlined he has all the qualities of a good key position player, is under-age for this draft crop and has grown 20cm in 2 years and probably still growing (not that it helped RCD).

The biggest question marks over Logan Morris is his height. If that is all then he will make it despite the lack of height. He could be the next Kaine Baldwin or Jack Darling? If Darling then that would suit West Coast nicely given Allen is a franchise player and Maric could be a nice foil giving Morris the third best defender. As bulluss said, he could grow and potentially get to key position height which will silence the naysayers.

#62 Nathan Philactides 179cm, 80kg, Oakleigh, Small Defender

Has elite speed, agility, and explosiveness which naturally carries over into a metres gained centric style. Has a high level background in hurdling. The knock is his kicking efficiency which manifests itself more so with composure and decision making than technique which could possibly be corrected with experience and coaching.
Was rated much higher earlier in the season, at this late in the draft could prove to be a bargain.

Others considered: It's clear PRE punters don't believe Jack Delean has the goods to produce as a forward at the elite level. He has the smarts and forward craft to do so but it remains to be seen whether he has the defensive pressure and athletic profile to be able to. At this low in the draft he would be worth the punt given the upside should he demonstrate he has what it takes and could be a 40 + goals per season type player.
Jack Delean is a very good reader of the play, just seems to be in the right spots at the right time, the natural instincts are there.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
I couldn’t cope with that name combination in any team
Poodle mullets generally spawn a variety nicknames, it starts with the cult status label and then migrates to shortened first names such as Kolsty and later cheesy nicknames like Mad Dog & Bonecrusher.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Saints are happy.

Lance Collard 18. small fwd. A lot of tantalising prospects at this pick, but we went with pace, class and X-factor. Has been compared to Shai Bolton, even if its a bit tenuous, it sounds good to us, and hopefully fills the void left by Jade Gresham. We also considered Cooper Simpson, Arie Shoenmaker, Luamon Lual.

Cooper Simpson 28. mid. Rapt he was still there, pace and class again was the decider. Also considered Luamon Lual (again) Harvey Johnston, Taylor Goad, (and also Heath Ollington for a second, because we wanted him but were pretty sure he'd be there next pick)..

Heath Ollington 41. Med Fwd. We were pretty sure he'd last this far, but not much further. We've liked him all year, a Ben Dixon-type, hard-working hard-hitting, and he keeps ticking the boxes. Just gets it done. If he had been gone, we would have looked at Logan Morris and Luke Lloyd.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Poodle mullets generally spawn a variety nicknames, it starts with the cult status label and then migrates to shortened first names such as Kolsty and later cheesy nicknames like Mad Dog & Bonecrusher.

And if they played for the Hawks, you might have "Our Waverley Star" :)

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Saints are happy.

Lance Collard 18. small fwd. A lot of tantalising prospects at this pick, but we went with pace, class and X-factor. Has been compared to Shai Bolton,
Interesting you mentioned Shai Bolton

Was just mentioned on the 10 news 2 minutes ago that Shai visited Collard at his home

Reactions: 1 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Carlton washup.

Carlton don't have too many urgent needs in their best 22, so I thought about focusing on building the next group of kids.

29 - Archer Reid - I went best available. With Curnow nearly 27 and McKay nearly 26 I thought best to add to the talls talent. Will get plenty of time to develop in the 2's due to the Curnow / McKay partnership in the 1's with Harry Lemmey.

32 - Archie Roberts - Similar to Reid, this is a look to the future. Carlton's HB line is aging with Newman (nearly 31), Docherty (30) and Saad (29) so I thought this was a good spot to take Roberts especially as he probably slid a little bit. The perfect replacement to groom to replace 1 of those 3 in a couple of years.

58 - Mahmoud Taha and 69 - Kristian Ferranato - were looks to the future to replenish the Carlton midfield. Both are very strong clearance players, 1 due to his size (Ferranato) and Taha with his ball winning ability. I'm not sure either of these 2 are drafted in the real thing but seemed to fit Carltons list needs quite well, but I suspect Carlton only take 2 ND picks in the draft next week.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Sydney washup.

16 - Ollie Murphy - This was a no brainer for the Swans. They are incredibly desperate for a tall defender and Murphy is 1 of the best in this draft. Only moved into defence this year but his marking ability is outstanding. Once he builds his frame up I expect the rest of his defensive efforts will grow quickly. Is very much in the Harris Andrews mould for me.

26 - Caiden Cleary - Possibly a bit earlier than they would like to take him but again this is a no brainer with the discount on offer and that they effectively can match with a couple of picks in the 40's. A powerfully built midfielder, wins ball for fun on the inside. Very much a Sydney type of midfielder. Will start in the VFL, but will learn a lot from Adams and Parker and then replace 1 of them in a couple of years as they retire.

57 - Kane McAuliffe. Similar in style to Cleary, another powerfully built midfielder that is very strong at the contest. Very much a Sydney strength so a no-brainer for me that you start to think at life after Parker / Adams. Can spend a fair amount of time in the VFL with Cleary to work on becoming a damaging duo at the contest.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Melbourne:
Pick 8: Connor O'Sullivan Height: 198cm Weight: 92kg
The best true tall defender in the draft, he has the height to cover any forward. He will be the perfect replacement for May in a couple of years.

Pick 14: James Leake Height: 187cm Weight: 77kg
Skillful, versatile and athletic, what's not too like? The only question is which position will he excel in the most.

Pick 43: Luke Lloyd Height: 193cm Weight: 84kg
Probably the bargain of the draft. Lloyd is a true footballer, who will kick a lot of goals in the AFL. Undoubtedly fell in the draft due to his height, but his skill and footballing brain will more than compensate.

Pick 67: William Rowlands Height: 179cm Weight: 76kg
Whilst small, Rowlands is a talented footballer who has the strength to match it with bigger bodies. He is a player who can excel in the midfield or play as a small forward.

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
National Draft:
1. Harley Reid - West Coast
2. Jed Walter - Gold Coast
3. Colby McKercher - North Melbourne
4. Zane Duursma - North Melbourne
5. Nick Watson - Hawthorn
6. Ryley Sanders - Western Bulldogs
7. Ethan Read - Gold Coast
8. Daniel Curtin - West Coast
9. Caleb Windsor - GWS
10. Connor O'Sullivan - Geelong
11. Nate Caddy - Essendon
12. James Leake - Adelaide
13. Darcy Wilson - Melbourne
14. Jake Rogers - Gold Coast
15. Jordan Croft - Western Bulldogs
16. Koltyn Tholstrup - Sydney
17. Lance Collard - St Kilda
18. Will McCabe - Hawthorn
19. Harry De Mattia - Adelaide
20. Will Green - North Melbourne
21. Charlie Edwards - GWS
22. Riley Hardeman - North Melbourne
23. Arie Schoenmaker - North Melbourne
24. Will Graham - Gold Coast
25. Ollie Murphy - Collingwood
26. Taylor Goad - Adelaide
27. Cooper Simpson - St Kilda
28. Ashton Moir - Carlton
29. Archie Roberts - West Coast
30. Archer Reid - Brisbane
31. George Stevens - Geelong
32. Zane Zakostelsky - Carlton
33. Koen Sanchez - Richmond
34. Caiden Cleary - Sydney
35. Luamon Lual - Essendon
36. Mitch Edwards - Collingwood
37. Joel Freijah - Fremantle
38. Phoenix Gothard - Essendon
39. Tew Jiath - West Coast
40. Angus Hastie - St Kilda
41. Harvey Johnston - Richmond
42. Jack Callinan - Melbourne
43. Jack Delean - GWS
44. Wil Dawson - Sydney
45. Shaun Mannagh - Fremantle
46. Matt Carroll - North Melbourne
47. Aiden O'Driscoll - West Coast
48. Will Patton - Western Bulldogs
49. Luke Lloyd - Hawthorn
50. Clay Hall - Fremantle
51. Sam Clohesy - Hawthorn
52. Heath Ollington - Carlton
53. Calsher Dear - Hawthorn
54. Lachlan Charleson - Port Adelaide
55. Tarkyn O'Leary - Geelong
56. Logan Morris - Geelong

Rookie Draft:
1. Reece Torrent - West Coast
2. Vigo Visentini - North Melbourne
3. Chad Wingard - Hawthorn
4. Will Rowlands - Gold Coast
5. Jeremy Sharp - Fremantle
6. Cam Nyko - Richmond
7. Sam Van Rooyen - Geelong
8. Mutaz El-Nour - Essendon
9. Kane McAuliffe - Adelaide
10. Joe Fonti - Western Bulldogs
11. Will Lorenz - GWS
12. Daniel McKenzie - St Kilda
13. Billy Wilson - Carlton
14. Orlando Turner - Melbourne
15. Evan Smith - Port Adelaide
16. Nathan Philactides - Brisbane
17. Anthony Davis - Collingwood
18. Oscar Hine-Baston - West Coast
19. Cooper Stephens - Hawthorn
20. Jack Peris - Gold Coast
21. Kade De La Rue - Fremantle
22. Mahmoud Taha - Essendon
23. Bodie Ryan - Adelaide
24. Bailey Van De Heuvel - Western Bulldogs
25. William Brown - GWS
26. Kynan Brown - Melbourne
27. Oscar Hawith - Port Adelaide
28. Kristian Ferronato - Brisbane
29. Oscar Ryan - Collingwood
30. Josh Chatfield - Western Bulldogs
31. Patrick Weckert - Adelaide
32. Michael Rudd - Port Adelaide
33. Patrick Snell - Brisbane

Adelaide: Leake (12), De Mattia (21), Goad (26), McAuliffe (Rookie), B.Ryan (Rookie), Weckert (Rookie)

Brisbane: A.Reid (30), Philactides (Rookie), Ferronato (Rookie), Snell (Rookie)

Carlton: Moir (28), Zakostelsky (32), Ollington (52), Wilson (Rookie)

Collingwood: Murphy (24), M.Edwards (36), A.Davis (Rookie), O.Ryan (Rookie)

Essendon: Caddy (11), Lual (35), Gothard (38), El-Nour (Rookie), Taha (Rookie)

Fremantle: Freijah (37), Mannagh (45), Hall (50), Sharp (Rookie), De La Rue (Rookie)

Geelong: O'Sullivan (10), Stevens (31), O'Leary (55), Morris (56), Van Rooyen (Rookie)

Gold Coast: Walter (2), Read (7), Rogers (14), Graham (24), Rowlands (Rookie), Peris (Rookie)

GWS: Windsor (9), C.Edwards (21), Delean (43), Lorenz (Rookie), W.Brown (Rookie)

Hawthorn: Watson (5), McCabe (18), Lloyd (49), Clohesy (51), Dear (53), Wingard (Rookie), Stephens (Rookie)

Melbourne: Wilson (13), Callinan (42), Turner (Rookie), K.Brown (Rookie), *West Coast 2024 first round pick

North Melbourne: McKercher (3), Duursma (4), Green (20), Hardeman (22), Schoenmaker (23), Carroll (46), Visentini (Rookie)

Richmond: Sanchez (33), Johnston (41), Nyko (Rookie)

Port Adelaide: Charleson (54), E.Smith (Rookie), Hawith (Rookie), Rudd (Rookie)

St Kilda: Collard (17), Simpson (27), Hastie (40), McKenzie (Rookie)

Sydney: Tholstrup (16), Cleary (34), Dawson (44)

West Coast: H.Reid (1), Curtin (8), Roberts (29), Jiath (39), O'Driscoll (47), Torrent (Rookie), Hine-Baston (Rookie)

Western Bulldogs: Sanders (6), Croft (15), Patton (48), Fonti (Rookie), Van De Heuvel (Rookie), Chatfield (Rookie)

Last edited:

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
National Draft:
1. Harley Reid - West Coast
2. Jed Walter - Gold Coast
3. Colby McKercher - North Melbourne
4. Zane Duursma - North Melbourne
5. Nick Watson - Hawthorn
6. Ryley Sanders - Western Bulldogs
7. Ethan Read - Gold Coast