2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Different academy’s.
We get Next Gen kids. They get access to all their NSW zone kids (GWS has its own NSW zone) completely different
Mate of mine has first hand knowledge of how the GWS academy works. He’s son was a gun footballer throughout his junior career at Wodonga. He got a visit from a representative of GWS when his son moved up to the under 18’s. Said they had been watching him for years but can’t draft him whilst playing for a Victorian club. Said if he moved to the Nth Albury club they could claim him as part of their zone. He did everything they told him to and nominated for the draft. They contacted the day before advising that he was in the mix and what the process would be once drafted. That was the last he ever heard from them. No further contact. No reason why they didn’t take him, no things to work on, nothing.

I laugh when I hear the AFL talk about how much work GWS does for the academy kids and those in their zone. Seems to me like they do 9 10ths of bugger all.

Reactions: 3 users
Sorry if this isn’t the right thread. Is there any draftee requirements when they nominate? A couple of kids at the local club have a terrible attitude towards coaches and team staff, as well as poor attitude towards school- “I’ll get drafted for not the AFL, so you can get stuffed”. Or is it up to the Matthew Clarkes and Blair’s Hartleys to weigh up the risk reward?
The recruiters will speak to many people when they start seriously looking at a potential draftee. Kids with bad attitudes get found out quick smart. In fact the bad attitude kids rarely get through to their Coates League teams.

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone found out if our academy exists?
Where is it?
While Sydney get Heeney Mills and Carter.
We got Eggy....
Given that we can't match a bid prior to 40 yet GC can match 4 within 26 with later/junk picks, the real question is, why would we even bother?

Reactions: 1 user
The recruiters will speak to many people when they start seriously looking at a potential draftee. Kids with bad attitudes get found out quick smart. In fact the bad attitude kids rarely get through to their Coates League teams.
Bailey Smith was dropped from Vic metro for an attitude adjustment. It worked

Premium talent not just a maybe hopeful. Good to see the attitude adjustment lasted long enough for him to get an assault claim alleged against him n then get sprung for going Sniiifff.

Premium talent not just a maybe hopeful. Good to see the attitude adjustment lasted long enough for him to get an assault claim alleged against him n then get sprung for going Sniiifff.
Dusty had something similar leveled against him but assume you're making exceptions to your besmirching ?

Mate of mine has first hand knowledge of how the GWS academy works. He’s son was a gun footballer throughout his junior career at Wodonga. He got a visit from a representative of GWS when his son moved up to the under 18’s. Said they had been watching him for years but can’t draft him whilst playing for a Victorian club. Said if he moved to the Nth Albury club they could claim him as part of their zone. He did everything they told him to and nominated for the draft. They contacted the day before advising that he was in the mix and what the process would be once drafted. That was the last he ever heard from them. No further contact. No reason why they didn’t take him, no things to work on, nothing.

I laugh when I hear the AFL talk about how much work GWS does for the academy kids and those in their zone. Seems to me like they do 9 10ths of bugger all.

Yep. AFL clubs.

Dusty had something similar leveled against him but assume you're making exceptions to your besmirching ?
Ooooh. Was I involved in a rampant besmirching there? Yeah, Nah. Dusty's an even more premium talent than Bailey, many many sins and human failings get overlooked and managed when you're a premium talent. Unlike the rest of the fringe *smile* kicker plebs, it's just the way the system works.

Apprantly we will trade out late picks to Carlton because they need points to get the Camporlae boys.

Possible
Our pick 4
Carlton's pick 14
Freos 1st pick 8 and 2nd rounder.

We could possibly have another 5 in 30.
But 4 picks under 20.

Deledio Tambling Polo Meyer & Pattison

Can't wait

• Haha
Going to watch Sandy and Calder this week at RESA. Anyone in particular I should look out for?

Apprantly we will trade out late picks to Carlton because they need points to get the Camporlae boys.

Possible
Our pick 4
Carlton's pick 14
Freos 1st pick 8 and 2nd rounder.

We could possibly have another 5 in 30.
But 4 picks under 20.

Deledio Tambling Polo Meyer & Pattison

Can't wait
Don't need to tell you zips that the draft that produced Franklin Roughhead Lewis and Deledio was one of the worst drafts of all time.
Hawks nailed it. We didn't.

I think Baileys problem then was he thought he was gods gift and didn’t have enough people telling him NO. His application to his footy was full on

Going to watch Sandy and Calder this week at RESA. Anyone in particular I should look out for?
Watch Murphy Reid, is getting better each time he rolls out.
Luke Trainor 194cm back, plays in Vlas style

Don't need to tell you zips that the draft that produced Franklin Roughhead Lewis and Deledio was one of the worst drafts of all time.
Hawks nailed it. We didn't.
That was the Greg Beck era. We ran our recruiting on the smell of an oily rag. We had bugger all scouts and certainly no recruiters in the interstate markets. We just didn’t have the intelligence gathering capabilities then and the results showed.

Reactions: 1 users
Ooooh. Was I involved in a rampant besmirching there? Yeah, Nah. Dusty's an even more premium talent than Bailey, many many sins and human failings get overlooked and managed when you're a premium talent. Unlike the rest of the fringe *smile* kicker plebs, it's just the way the system works.
Channeling your inner KB there TM. I like it.

That was the Greg Beck era. We ran our recruiting on the smell of an oily rag. We had bugger all scouts and certainly no recruiters in the interstate markets. We just didn’t have the intelligence gathering capabilities then and the results showed.
Then how do we explain the current recruitment issues?