2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Went and watched Sandy V Calder at Resa on Saturday. Resa Park is such a good place to watch footy. Park behind the goals at the Frankston end and walk in the side gate. Super easy. For the life of me tho, I can't imagine that area with a VFL crowd in 1985. Would've been chaos. Wish I witnessed that once.

Calder kicked the first three goals and got the jump on Sandy. Looked quick and aggressive. There was a wind to the city end that Calder had but it was ball movement that got the goals combined with pace and pressure. From that point on it was 16 goals to 6 in Sandy's favour. Too classy. Calder only ever got in the game when their pressure was at insane levels and they physically rattled Sandy. It was your typical outer Northern boys trying their best to rough up the toffs. Not dirty but aggressive in your face. That's what they had to do. But Sandy was too classy, too many good players across the board, and too many smart footballers. Wind picked up and Sandy were always going to have a big last quarter and run away with it. Left 10 minutes into the last quarter once they got five up. Was going to be a training run for the last 20 minutes.

Levi Aschroft, as advertised. Clean, one touch, reacts quicker than everyone else. Doesn't waste a touch. Is he quick? Not convinced but he is footy quick and his footy smarts are quicker than most out there. Not someone I looked at and went he is a clear-cut number one pick. Reminds me of Luke Power. If you asked me to pick someone who will play a hundred games of AFL, Levi is him. Does have forward craft, and could easily start next year in the AFL as a forward pocket or high half-forward.

Luke Trainor- Bengal pointed him out so I watched him closely. And it's a good shout. Listed at 193cm. He is the same size as Tom Brown. But a completely different style. Plays big. Could we pick him in the first round, we have a glut of back flankers. Not sure. Is Trainor a first-round pick? Absolutely. Smart backline general. Wonderful kick out of D50. Knows when to go and be a third man up or intercept. And has a footy voice, booms orders about how to set up behind the ball. I like everything about him. Big shoulders, looks like he could be a monster once he gets in the gym. If he gets to 195-196 he is a key position player. Right now he is a third tall.

Murphy Reid- Shaggy hair and a headband. Stands out. Clean. I reckon he did more in traffic that I couldn't see. Never double grabs. Always looking to make that kick on the 45. And does it well. Worked between the arcs. Only small but makes smart decisions. Not sure if it's the name but I kept thinking of Marc Murphy. If we have multiple picks in the first round, he should be in the mix. Would automatically be one of our best users of the ball.

Nathaniel Sulzberger - High half forward, just so busy. Runs up and back all day. Lateral movement in traffic was outstanding. According to the Age has a sub 6 minutes 2Km already. I believe that, ran all day hard. Would love to know the score involvements for this lad, felt like every time he got involved Sandy scored. And another one who is clean with the footy. Good kick, plays inside out. Gets in and OUT of traffic. Keep watching.

For Calder, lot of triers but nobody stood out. Liked Eyree down back for Calder, and tried hard to attack from the 50 with his kicking. Kicks low and hard and makes angle kicks. Someone I will keep watching. Issac Kako has wraps but I didn't notice him but doesn't mean he is no good.

And the Sandy ruck, Brodie Findaly, big lump of a lad. Not an athlete, not a pretty footballer but a contact ruck. Think Nank, thinks Witts, think Mummy. Plays like a true big man and has really good tap craft. Yes, he has some great onballers at his feet but he helps them, and gives them a head start.

Reactions: 14 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007

Josh Smillie

Midfielder
194cm/92kg
17/5/06
Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro

The tall midfielder of the top end of the draft. Smillie is a contested, big-bodied midfielder from the Ranges who also featured for Vic Metro at the under-18 carnival. The 17-year-old looms as a top-five pick candidate given his size and dominance around the ball, having averaged 26 disposals for the Ranges before injury cut short his campaign. He had three games of 30 or more disposals for Eastern and should be a dominant player in 2024.

For the draft watches out there looks like a Tom Green clone but can he run?

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

Josh Smillie

Midfielder
194cm/92kg
17/5/06
Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro

The tall midfielder of the top end of the draft. Smillie is a contested, big-bodied midfielder from the Ranges who also featured for Vic Metro at the under-18 carnival. The 17-year-old looms as a top-five pick candidate given his size and dominance around the ball, having averaged 26 disposals for the Ranges before injury cut short his campaign. He had three games of 30 or more disposals for Eastern and should be a dominant player in 2024.

I saw his underage year live. imposing and prolific, but I had slight man-child concerns and a bit RCD triggered.

but I was probably wrong.

I might have said it in passing, but watched Leo Lombard on Saturday (GCS academy).

prototype modern footballer - tank, speed, tough, agile. zings around like a pin ball.

Will be in the conversation for No.1 im pretty sure. Then GC get him for a bag of mixed junk.

I'm certain Dimma would select him in the seniors next week if he could.

his last two VFL games have been a premiership (at 16), then midfield time and 28 quality disposals (17)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Went and watched Sandy V Calder at Resa on Saturday. Resa Park is such a good place to watch footy. Park behind the goals at the Frankston end and walk in the side gate. Super easy. For the life of me tho, I can't imagine that area with a VFL crowd in 1985. Would've been chaos. Wish I witnessed that once.

Haha, I remember going to VFL games at Moorabbin, it was a zoo, like a lot of the suburban grounds back in the day. They used to pack them in to the suburban grounds, you could barely move and going to the toilet was taking your life into your hands.

Different times. I distinctly remember, and it wasn't the only time I saw it, a half full beer (steel, not aluminium) can being thrown towards the umpire from the crowd at Princes Park. The umpires today worry about a bit of abuse, send them back to the 70s and let's see them handle the treatment they got back then when they underperformed.

Thanks for the report, we should have some decent picks this year, let's hope we find some talent.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Get a couple of the Tasmanian Jackjumpers into our team. Those blokes play above all expectations.
Did anyone see the last goal to win to see them into the GF? *smile* me, a moment all young boys only dream of.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
"Chris Toce has been at the Saints for nine years and been the club's national head of recruiting for the past two years, leading the division for its selection of gun youngster Mattaes Phillipou last year". He's been mentioned as being in line for the Clarke's gig at Richmond.

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
GC academy Leo Lombard 28 disposals, close to GC VFL best today.

VFL premiership at 16, 28 disposal mid VFL at 17.

He has to be in conversation for No.1 early this year?

hardly Reid and will Ashcroft didn't do that *smile*!!!
A bit outside ,and no tackles ,but will be a first rounder.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv

Josh Smillie

Midfielder
194cm/92kg
17/5/06
Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro

Well that’s the question. Is he a bit one paced like Phillipou ?

We need a bit of separation speed through the midfield.

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
Well that’s the question. Is he a bit one paced like Phillipou ?

We need a bit of separation speed through the midfield.
We need to win the ball first,before we can worry about separation .
Need player's who can read the play,and who will go in hard to win it.

I don't know about Smillie 194cm midfielder ,thats kp height ,l would like to see how he goes in other positions .
Licorice all sorts of decent mids this year,,the champs will sort a few things out.

I didn't go to the rebels match on Sunday ,l went to Ballarat races instead ,but was told Tobie Travaglia from Bendigo was very good ,a 187cm hard at it mid/hb type,really good overhead .
Our NGA player Zayden Lockwood also played well l was told,very athletic ,and good overhead he's 198cm 79kg ,,

Connoe Weideman a 192 forward was very good for the rebels,as was Oliver Hannaford .

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
We need to win the ball first,before we can worry about separation .
Need player's who can read the play,and who will go in hard to win it.

I don't know about Smillie 194cm midfielder ,thats kp height ,l would like to see how he goes in other positions .
Licorice all sorts of decent mids this year,,the champs will sort a few things out.

I didn't go to the rebels match on Sunday ,l went to Ballarat races instead ,but was told Tobie Travaglia from Bendigo was very good ,a 187cm hard at it mid/hb type,really good overhead .
Our NGA player Zayden Lockwood also played well l was told,very athletic ,and good overhead he's 198cm 79kg ,,

Connoe Weideman a 192 forward was very good for the rebels,as was Oliver Hannaford .
We're winning the ball ok. We're 2nd for contested posessions. We're middle of the road for centre clearances. Below average for stoppages. We've got no separation. Look at Bolton and how much better we are with him in at centre bounces. We desperately need some 5-10m speed around the ground with our on ballers. Taranto, Hopper, Baker etc. Even McAuliffe. If we cant win the ball with them then we're fckd.

Reactions: 5 users

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
We're winning the ball ok. We're 2nd for contested posessions. We're middle of the road for centre clearances. Below average for stoppages. We've got no separation. Look at Bolton and how much better we are with him in at centre bounces. We desperately need some 5-10m speed around the ground with our on ballers. Taranto, Hopper, Baker etc. Even McAuliffe. If we cant win the ball with them then we're fckd.
I get what your saying for the need for speed,but our player's are slow to react in the midfield ,they don't adapt to the opposition ruck winning tap outs ,they are stagnant.
We need player's who read the play well,and get on the front foot .attack attack attack ,and being able to hit a target once in a while wouldn't hurt either.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I get what your saying for the need for speed,but our player's are slow to react in the midfield ,they don't adapt to the opposition ruck winning tap outs ,they are stagnant.
We need player's who read the play well,and get on the front foot .attack attack attack ,and being able to hit a target once in a while wouldn't hurt either.
A 186 cm, 84kg Jagga Smillie would be great Bungal. Get to it. Thanks.

• Love
  • Haha

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
Wait, what?
We have a 198cm NGA player?
Why doesn’t Zips know about this?
He really needs to beef up,he has all the athletic traits ,might make a key back if he can put on 10kg plus ,,,he certainly is a project type but by the sounds of things has started the year well.
This is from his Pioneers coach.

Zaydyn Lockwood, South Bendigo

A developing tall with a great work rate. Can read the ball really well and is a great mark. He’s going to catch the eye.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users